SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia - Sunday

{{gwi:617833}}

Well, no one will ever accuse me of being early. Someone else is cooking the turkey today, and I am taking full advantage! Merry Christmas to All. Good Morning.

OK, IâÂÂll try not to make you too sleepy, but:

There is a belief that heavy consumption of turkey meat (as for example in a Christmas feast) results in drowsiness, which has been attributed to high levels of tryptophan contained in turkey. However, while turkey does contain high levels of tryptophan, the amount is comparable to that contained in most other meats. Once in the CSF(that would be the cerebrospinal fluid, to most of us), tryptophan is converted into serotonin in the raphe nuclei by the normal enzymatic pathway. The resultant serotonin is further metabolised into melatonin by the pineal gland. Hence, this data suggest that "feast-induced drowsiness" - "and, in particular, the common post-Christmas dinner drowsiness" - "may be the result of a heavy meal rich in carbohydrates, which, via an indirect mechanism, increases the production of sleep-promoting melatonin in the brain.

Whew - " still with me?? OK, so itâÂÂs not just the turkey. This all got researchers thinking about tryptophan, though. Yes, it makes you sleepy, naturally. Yes, they are working on a supplement that will be a natural sleep tonic. However, they are working with another Holiday-related food that contains about 1/3 more of the stuff, and is easily and cheaply produced.

ItâÂÂs easy as pie, really. You will all get it!! Plus, IâÂÂll be back with clues. Enjoy the day.

Nancy.

Comments (11)

Sponsored