SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adiro

Broken dahlia

adiro
14 years ago

Hello

I have never grown dahlias before. I am reading and learning alot on the forum here.

I bought a bag of tubers from Wallmart, they were suposed to be 10 decorative dahlias, but when I opened the bag at home, they were only 6 bunches of tubers. Got upset, but I split some, like I read in the long thread here, and got myself 10 dahlias in the end. About the end of March I potted them, and each grew one stem. They are fairly thick , but with the leaves very sparse ( spaced out) large and curling downwards.... don't know why.

Two weeks ago I planted them in the yard, and half an hour later the squires chewed up and broke one of them. I went and looked, and I could see inside the thick stem, it's hollow... Since then the broken end has become frilly like a comb, and no growth is happening. I thougt maybe I would get laterals develop, but nothing.... the plant doesn't look dead, it's still green, but it's not growing at all. What should I do with it? Will it recover? the stem is empty inside, btw the plants are way over one foot high.... ( tall, thick and with rare large leaves)

Please advise

Thank you!

Comments (5)