SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodnative

Question about possible variegated sport

woodnative
13 years ago

Hello conifer experts. I bought a very small unlabled pine from a local (NJ) Home depot a couple years back. The pine is now about 6 feet tall, the whorls of branches are wide spaced. Unfortunately I am not sure what type of pine it is (and I am at work right so perhaps I will get a needle count later). It is not a white pine, but the needles are fairly long but stiffer than white pine. They also appear a darker green than white pine. In any case, if you have some guess as to species I will key it out (note again it is from HD, so something fairly common).

I just noticed that one of the younger and smaller side branches, maybe 4 feet off the ground, seems to be sporting variegation. This side starts out normal and green near the main trunk, but now has the newest part of the main and a small side on it shows variegation. Should I top the tree back to this branch, and remove all the surrounding branches in the whorl, to encourage this variegated shoot? It has not yet flushed out for this year's growth (spring is coming slowly here). I may be a away from my computer a couple days, but will get photos eventually.

Comments (5)