SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
simcan

Kind of a specific yew recovery question

simcan
15 years ago

Hello, all. We have just bought a house with three tall (about 12 feet), rangy and thin yews in a shady spot out front with rather poor, dry soil. They are frankly an eyesore as-is: too tall, too rangy, too thin. But they are old, noble and established and I am loathe to simply get rid of them.

What I would really like to do is reduce the height by about half and keep it there, and impose some order (nothing formal, natural but just tidier) and have them be much denser/bushier...this is even more challenging because currently they have very, very little growth in the bottom half (just a trunk down there, basically.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the timing and process of the pruning to achieve this goal...I will of course be carefully amending the soil (this is a property-wide initiative) and ensuring they get plenty of food and water, but donÂt want to have ugly "topped" shrubs forever...should I cut them down about half the desired height (basically three feet off the ground, I mean), grown something bushy in front (like a Siberian dogwood, hydrangeas and so on) and simply hope they recover (period, but if so, in a bushy way)?

What about timing? I won't have access to mid summer so should I wait until next year?

Sorry, no pictures at this time.

Comments (3)