SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Suggestion for easier-care perennial

phylrae
14 years ago

I am only a small business....selling bouquets locally to coworkers and by word of mouth. My husband and I have about 70 rose bushes, and with both of our regular jobs & increased demands elsewhere, have decided we don't want to keep all of them...just the chores of spraying for fungus etc...just too much work for us now.

We do have lilies (many types), siberian iris, spuria iris, some perennials etc.

I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for LONG-blooming perennials (zone 5a) that are good for cutting and would be good replacements in a bouquet for roses...you know, not wildflower looking...more MAIN EVENT. For instance, do I HAVE to lift dahlia tubers in the winter, or could I winter them over in pots in the garage? Also ones that would bloom from June thru Sept....not just start in August like some annuals I plant from seed.

Also early blooming annuals from seed....SPECIFIC cultivar recommendations would be so much appreciated! (Ie, I am loving the Chabaud carnations I planted last spring...hopefully they will winter-over here!)

I planted some glad bulbs for the first time this spring, but they came up looking LOUSY....nice & green & tall, but the actual blooms were brownish & ugly...my neighbor said it was probably the bulbs (Home Depot), not anything I did or didn't do.

I am sad that we are planning to do this, but also a little relieved.

Thanks everyone!

:0) Phyl

Comments (8)

Sponsored