SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
native_son_gw

Small Succulent ID; Black Prince Question; & pics

native_son
13 years ago

I've read the article here on identifying stacked crassula varients, but I'm still not sure about this one. It's just a stem but it's blooming now. Anyone know for sure on this? Here is a pic:

{{gwi:694788}}

Also, I have had a Black Prince Echeveria for about two months (got it with roots), and it is slowly loosing lower leaves. At first they were just shriveling up, but I have lightly tugged at a few that were on the lower parts of the plant and they come loose way too easily. They are slightly yellow and black splotched. Here is a pic of the picture - the outer edge of the leaves just is a little darker (browner/purpler) than the rest, but come loose way too easy and are headed to the same fate as the other leaves I've lost off it. Is it too much water? Should I refrain from any misting or watering at all now? (since I took this picture, the leaf on the bottom right here has come loose)

{{gwi:694790}}

About that also: if a plant is a "winter grower" (like Aeonium, Crassulae, etc.), should I still limit the water, or are they ok to have more water than something like Echeverias in winter?

BTW, my best leaf growing experiment (I've only been trying my hand with succulents about two months) is this one - my friend said it was a molded wax agave, but I don't know yet for sure. The little plant just shot out of it and had multiple leaves on it even before it sent out a root. About starting plants from leaves - how often should I mist them? I have a few laying on a bed of sand/perlite/cactus-mix. They are starting well, but I don't know how delicate those fine roots are that are coming out of them. Does it help to sprinkle sand on them, to mist them every few days, to just leave them alone? Advice on that would be appreciated - it's probably the most exciting part of messing with these succulents for me so far: getting to see a plant come out of a little leaf.

{{gwi:694792}}

My best steal was a Parslane I got for $.99 at Lowes:

{{gwi:694794}}

A couple of other pics (most of the rest of my stuff are cuttings that are too small to worry much about yet):

A Rick-Rack Cactus I ordered from Delaware - not in great shape, but I have hope:

{{gwi:694796}}

A Stapelia (variegata I think) - from the same seller, but three sections broke off in transit, and I am trying to root them in another area, though the "cuttings" (or "fallings-off") seem to be really slow to send any roots out at all.

{{gwi:694796}}

And finally, a jade plant that I got last year - I was inspired by all the talk of pruning here, and last summer it didn't get much water at all and lost a lot of lower leaves, getting very leggy and the stems were hanging over the sides of the plant (very wobbly), so I just decided to go ahead and trim it on down a few weeks ago. It has been starting back very well since then. Even the stem sections I kept with no leaves on them are putting little leaves out (though no roots on those yet).

{{gwi:694798}}

Comments (3)