SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Harpy Surmew Baw!

thinman
15 years ago

When I was teaching, I had a quiz on Newton's Laws that I always gave to my physics classes on the day before Thanksgiving. It was a multiple choice quiz and if someone got all the answers right, the letters would spell out Happy Turkey Day. To get this to happen, of course, I had to use letter choices other than the standard abcde. This would sometimes flummox the kids for a while, but as soon as they realized that it was going to spell something, many of them, who had most of the answers right already, were able to figure it out and get a perfect score. However, not all.

The one I remember to this day read HARPY SURMEW BAW. Not one of my best students, I guess, and, in fact, I don't remember who it was, but I do remember their answer.

So from me and my student, I wish you all a Harpy Surmew Baw. I hope your surmew is tasty and moist.

ThinMan

P.S. (What score would you give the student?)

Comments (8)

• shropshire_lad
    15 years ago

LOL! It is exactly the stuff like this that makes me miss high school sooo much!

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

Give the student a score of 73.

Fourteen questions, of which he got 8 right.
    8/14 would be 57%.
    Add 2 points for each correctly placed letter.
    57 + 16 = 73.

Hey, this kid needed to pass. He will grow up to be a really nice guy who sells cars and has a wife who works in county government.

-- I need to go put rum in the icing for the pumpkin bars now.

L8r,
    Nell

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

Oh you numbers people - you give me a pain!!!! lol.

Nancy.

• shropshire_lad
    15 years ago

I'd give him a 101%, just for making me laugh!

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

As a right brain thinker I would have failed but I turned out okay and I'm not selling cars or working for the county government *whew*

• PattiOH
    15 years ago

LOL, ThinMan!!

(I'm certain that my answer would have been gibberish-tical too).

Patti

• sierra_z2b
    15 years ago

Hey I thought my answer was perfect. At least it made you smile and remember it....funny though that you don't remember me at all. :O

Sierra...I be Canadian....soooo TM you are off the hook. LOLLLL!!!

• solana
    15 years ago

Tee-hee!

Nell, your analysis is impeccable!!!

Welcome ShropshireLad!

Ana

Sponsored