SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raekae_gw

Drought Conditions

raekae
10 years ago

I started some Figaro Dahlias a few weeks ago. The are ready to transplant, but I am debating whether to plant them in the garden or into large containers. I have around 20 plants started. Due to the drought in California, some water companies around my area are mandating 50% reduction in water use and limiting the time where you can water individual plants or trees outdoors from 7pm to 10am, using buckets or drip irrigation only. Currently, I am not under these restrictions, but there is a large chance it will happen in the future.

I was thinking that if I planted in containers, I would be able to include water saving crystals. Also, containers could be set closer to the house. The other option would be to plant the dahlias in the garden where I have two wine barrel halves buried in the ground. Since those are containers, I think I could add the water crystals to them. I'm not sure about it, since I haven't used them before. Has anyone had experience with these? I don't think the wine barrels would accommodate all the plants I have as well. I do have an old drip irrigation system in need of repair. I am worried that the cost of fixing the irrigation will be expensive, but I would be able to plant the dahlias in a larger area. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Is there anyone else that is being affected by the drought? Have you made changes to conserve water?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz