SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oregon_veg

Four Winds Growers

oregon_veg
18 years ago

Anyone order citrus trees from Four Winds Growers in California?

I'm thinking about ordering a mandarin & grapefruit tree that might do well in my area of southern Oregon.

Have you had good service with them?

Thanks!

Tom

Comments (26)

• drichard12
    18 years ago

There good, they back there trees 100%

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Watch Dog

• oregon_veg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks,
    I appreciate the quick response.
    I was considering ordering from Harris in Fl. but after the post about "greening" I decided to go with CA.
    Thanks again

Tom

• Related Discussions

Dwarf Citrus from Four Wind Growers

Q

Comments (12)
    The only dwarf citrus rootstock that does well in Arizona is Flying Dragon. Cuban Shaddock is a pretty poor choice for high pH environments and you will be endlessly fighting chlorosis and poor growth. You should apply sulfur and chelated iron every four months to the drip line, following the directions on the packages for application. I usually apply epsom salts at roughly a tablespoon per gallon every six months. Another option is monthly foliar feeding.
    ...See More

First Time Citrus Grower - Four Winds Growers- Worth It?

Q

Comments (16)
    Hi folks! Since you're on the east coast, another vendor that I have used and gotten very respectable trees is McKenzie Farms. This is my second year with citrus and I decided to buy some from here due to positive reviews on the citrus growers f o r u m. Shipping was very reasonable, well packaged and the trees were very nice. I got a 1 Gallon Meyer Lemon, Eureka Lemon, Key Lime, Kaffir Lime and a 3 gallon Moro. The 1G trees were about 12" tall. The 3G Moro was fantastic, about 4-5 feet tall and still had 4 small green oranges on it. The 1G trees were $20 and the 3G was $40. I repotted all into a 511 mix. I had used CHC+Peat last year, but decided that it dried out too fast inside over winter. I'll post a picture when I get home. Here is a link that might be useful: McKenzie Farms
    ...See More

Four Winds Growers

Q

Comments (2)
    They are one of the largest suppliers of Citrus and non-citrus tropical fruits in California. All of the big box stores carry their trees. I have bought the following plants in 5 gallon containers from local nurseries and all of them are fruiting and doing well for me outside: Valencia Orange (2) Murcott Mandarin (2) Improved Meyer Lemon (1) Cara Cara Navel Orange (1) Variegated Pink Lemon (1) Minneola Tangelo (1) Mexican Sweet Lime (1) Tropical Pink Guava (1) Tropical White Guava (1) Lemon Guava (1) Cardaba Banana (1) I will soon also buy a Malaysian Red Guava from them. They also sell Loquats, Cherimoyas and other fruiting trees.
    ...See More

Information of Sizes Wanted for Four Wind Growers Trees

Q

Comments (11)
    jenny, they were using the C-35 before January because my Smith Red is on it and purchased it as a 2 year old tree. People like me are just starting to notice the changes. I don't understand why FWG kept the name of their rootstock from the past a big secret. I asked over a year ago about it and was told I would have to speak to their propagator. I can understand if they developed something new and it was going through some sort of study. Harris Citrus Nursery has been quite open about what they use.
    ...See More
  • birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Tom, of course everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I once ordered citrus from 4winds..to be honest, I was not satisfied with their trees..
    Now please understand, I ordered the, I believe, one yr old trees which were small. For the high cost, I was expecting more.
    I am not trying to talk you out of ordering from 4winds, perhaps someone who has picturs of their trees from 4 winds will be kind enough to post. Again, this is my opinion.
    I also didn't like the fact that these small plants came bare-root.
    There are nurseries in TX like Acorn Spring, and I believe Stan, who Laaz swears by their plants. Toni

• citruscrazed
    18 years ago

The one thing I like about 4Winds and which keeps me going there again and agin, (Up to 3 orders this summer) is their consistancy. All their trees are roughly the same size so you never have to worry like I had to some other nurseries about how much foliage the tree will have or how tall it will be. The downfall to 4Winds is their high prices...but to me, for the amount of consistance they have it's worth it. I've bought from other places that sell their trees for $15...but I always have to worry what my tree will look like or what condition it will be in when it gets to me. I would strongly recomend against getting a 1 yr old tree...they are just way to small, pay the $8 extra to get a 2-3 year old tree. All of the 2-3 yr trees came to me with at least 1 fruit on them, which I like, it tells me the tree is healthy. If you get a 2-3 yr old tree from 4Winds you won't be unhappy with your pruchase.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Matt, why were you worried about the height and amount of foliage that would be on trees that cost 15.00? LOL..
    I can't comment on 2-3 yr old trees because I ordered the 1 yr olds and was disappointed..BTW, you said pay the extra 8.00 for 2-3 yr old trees, but if you check out their site ordering page, it's actually $17.00 more for one tree, $16.00 more for 2-3 trees.
    I know you said you were satisfied with 4winds purchase when they were shipped to you..Toni

• Millet
    18 years ago

I've purchased trees from 4 winds, and every tree that I received was a very nice tree. Yes, I would recomend them. I really don't care if the trees are bear root, I shake out the roots of all the containerized tree I get anyway, so I transplant them properly. 4 Winds high price?? We are not talking aout all that much money are we?? They are not $15.00 but I would not say high dollar. - Millet

• jessiac_3
    18 years ago

I ordered my Eureka lemon tree from 4Winds. I got the 1 year old tree, and it came in the special tree pot (long rectangular one). As it was my first citrus, I don't have anything to compare it to as to the size, but mine had many flowers on it when I received it, and was here in a day or two before they said it would be. I was very pleasantly surprised! The way I see it, the great customer service (they'll answer any questions you might have about your new tree) and speedy delivery are worth the extra cost. I might order a 2-3 year old tree next time, but since it was my first citrus, I wanted to watch it grow as much from the beginning as possible.

Thank you,

Jessica

• drichard12
    18 years ago

This may be of some interest! Never tryed them?

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Vendor

• schiang68
    18 years ago

I got a 2-3 year old calamondin from Four Winds this summer, and the tree was in excellent condition when it arrived. It had dense foliage and many small fruits, and there were no dropped leaves (none!) in the shipping package. The plant has also flowered profusely all summer.

• bencelest
    18 years ago

So far I only noticed one negative. That's an A grade for me. I myself bought about 90 % of my citrus from 4-Winds but from stores in my area.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Please don't think I'm trying to talk anyone out of ordering from 4winds.
    Tom asked for opinions, and I expressed mine. As a person who orders the majority of plants online, I mentioned my experience through comparison of nurseries.
    Millet, what may not be expensive to you, may be to some of us who cannot afford to spend 'X' amount of money per tree/shipping.
    Dale, thanks for the new site..I've heard of Thompsons, but have never purchased any trees for that nursery.
    Good, another place to order from for those who fear buying from Fl..Toni
    Of those who have read my posts these last 3 years, you all know I do my ordering from Briteleaf, Acorn, and now Harris. Toni

• MikeP46
    18 years ago

I have bought several trees from Four Winds, all 2-3 year old trees. Consistent quality, full of dense foliage, excellent customer service. Pricing is comparable, as I have bought from several online nurseries. If you can afford to buy in bulk, you will not be disappointed. Highly recommended.

• Millet
    18 years ago

Toni, if you have purchased trees from Acorn Springs, then you most likey have purchased trees from Thompson Nursery (the nursery that Dale listed above). I found out that many of the trees that Acorn Springs sells actually come from Thompson Nursery. I looked at 4 Winds web site and their most expensive tree is $39.00. I certainly would not call that any where near being expensive. Yes you can buy cheaper trees but $39.00 is very reasonable. A tank of gas cost a lot more than that. - Millet

• oregon_veg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I appreciate all the great input.
    I went ahead and put an order in. I really don't consider the price too high. It's considerable more than Harris.
    What really hurt was the shipping cost. It's a flat across the board charge per tree (not actual cost) which is very high.
    Trees cost $168.00 and shipping is $74.00.
    This is my first attempt at citrus. Had it not been for all the wonderful people who contribute to this board and don't mind very ignorant questions, I never would have had the confidence to try it.
    Now, I just have to convince my wife it's a good investment.
    She sure likes all the fresh veggies I've grown in the past.
    Thanks Again,

ö¿ö
    ~
    Tom

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Mike, maybe their 2-3 yr old trees are more compact than the 1 yr old. I can't say, but surely can't buy bulk either. Anyway, not to start a war on this topic, but I'm really happy with Briteleaf and Harris citrus.
    Millet, yep, I've ordered from Acorn a few times..I wasn't putting down Thompson..I was only saying that there's now another site people can order from that isn't located in Fl..I know many are worried about Canker and Green disease w/good cause.
    The way I see it, 39.00 isn't terribly expensive, but why buy one tree at 39.00 when you can get two for the price of one???
    Tom, I wish you the best of luck..If you have questions regarding care, feel free to ask away..No question is stupid and no person asking the question, ignorant. Never worry about inquiring..that's why this forum is here..to ask questions and read others' views. Good luck, Toni

• Millet
    18 years ago

Toni, I never thought you were putting down Thompson Nursery. I was just telling you that is where Acron Springs gets many of ther trees. So the tree you purchased from Acron Springs, probably came from Thompson Nursery anyway. - Millet

• suzannesks
    18 years ago

I to have done alott of ordering from Four Winds, and they have beautiful citrus.And their service to the public is fast and they do stand behind their tree's.I will continue ordering from them,because I can trust the product and the condition they arrive in. This is worth the extra money to me.I have been appalled at (2) other places I've ordered from that I will not mention...and I was not happy at all with the condition they arrived in!"YEP" Four Winds gets my buck,thats for sure:)***Suzanne

• bencelest
    18 years ago

Suzanne and Mike:
    I am changing my grade to 4-Winds: A+ for sure.

• suzannesks
    18 years ago

Hell-o to you Benny! My motto is "you get what you pay for". And I get form and fullness with their citrus.For me living in the Pacific Northwest,it's also closer than ordering from Florida. Also,my tree's from Four Winds have none stop fruit...the branches are so loaded,that I have to string them up with support so they won't break! How are all your citrus doing Benny? I bet you've been a busy bee with all that you have.I have yet to order a Satsuma,that hopefully will be an early Christmas present! LOL! :)***Suzanne

• drichard12
    18 years ago

I got a few of there 1-2 year old trees this spring, Was not all that happy with the size, But they did very well an have grown much bigger
    The reason why I did go with the younger trees was the fact that winter is hard and if I was to lose any it wasn't that big of loss
    As one member stated with winter coming watch an see how many have a problem with leaf loss, If I am one than I missed some very important information that was posted here
    Last year I didnt have much of a problem, But this year I have more trees

• Millet
    18 years ago

Benny, you certainly are correct in changing you grade to A+, probably whould actually be A++. 4-Winds Growers are certainly one of the very top retailers of quality citrus trees in the United States of America. Their trees, and more especially their customer service is unsurpased. No company stands behind their product better than 4-Winds Growers. I have never heard of anywone who had some kind of difficulty with them, that was not taken care of 100 percent. As far as their trees being bare root, who cares??? Most all small containerized trees shipped by on line nurserys come in the standard 4 X 4 X 14 inch "Tall One" grow pots. The proper method of transplanting these type of "container" trees is to shake the roots out free, and NOT just try to carefully transplant the container shaped root system. Besides usually a bare root tree has a larger trunk caliper and CERTAINLY a larger root system. BTW Benny, we are everyday eating all the Papaya's we can and giving away some to the "neighbors". Take care, glad to have you back. - Millet

• bencelest
    18 years ago

At one time I was happy buying the one-year-old-tree because my experience was that the young trees can adopt very easily with their new environment. And of course they were cheap. But recently, I was just in a hurry to taste their fruit and to see them "big" and lustrous.

• drichard12
    18 years ago

Im getting there! Thanks to people like yourself

• bencelest
    18 years ago

Millet: Yes, I am very happy with the 4-Winds. Just like Suzzane said my citrus are "...the branches are so loaded,that I have to string them up with support so they won't break!"

As for your papayas,certainly I envy you because you can have your papayas when there are snow outside your house. And I am happy for you. It's amazing how you can do it. It takes lots of time and effort to do it. But again I'd be travelling again soon for another 30 days and my plants will be on their own again.

Suzanne: Oh, my citrus are just as happy as they can be. They seem to bloom all the time. It's like they can not wait to flower again once the fruits becomes marble size then they flower again. I don't know but I don't want to brag but that's how they are. I guess there is truth in the saying that the key to growing citrus is "semi neglect" them. But maybe I am lucky because the climate here is conducive to growing citrus.

• Millet
    18 years ago

Benny when are the Marshal Arts championships in Las Vegas? - Millet

• bencelest
    18 years ago

Millet: The FSKA VII World Championships will be held at the Stardust Hotel Pavilion on October 29 and 30, 2005.
    I already reserved a room on the East Tower starting on Oct 27th. If you are planning to go there it is best to ask for the Convention Desk and tell them the code KARATE5. It is cheaper. The number is 1-800-634-6757.
    It's going to be a tough competion; my kids are now in advance class (by November of this year all of them will be black belted) and the Europeans are tough competitors. But its going to be fun altogether.