SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emelinegardner

Improved Meyer Lemon losing leaves

emelinegardner
10 years ago

I purchased a 4-5 year old improved meyer lemon tree from fastgrowingtrees.com in mid-August. It arrived looking pretty good, although it had lost a good number of leaves on the journey. I re-potted it in a mix of the recommended "citrus" soil purchased from the grower and miracle grow cactus, palm, and citrus soil from home depot in a 13-inch plastic pot. I did not put any rocks in the bottom for drainage, and I have not fertilized it since receiving it. It sits in a south-facing window in my house and I've been watering it only when it seems dry, maybe once a week. I've had this grow light on it for 10 hours a day:
http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-FLT24-2-Feet-4-Tube-Commercial/dp/B002JQBQZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380232389&sr=8-1&keywords=Hydrofarm+FLT24+2-Feet%2F4-Tube+T5+Commercial+System+with+Bulbs
I came back from a 2 week trip (wherein the light was on a timer and a friend was looking after our plants--I suspect she may have been over zealous in her watering) and the tree was dropping leaves like crazy. Many of the leaves are covered in the yellow spots shown in the photos. I decided those must be the result of spider mites and sprayed every leaf, front and back carefully with dish-soapy water. That seemed to slow the leaves from dropping for a few days, but it's now picking up again. Some branches are completely bare now and others have new growth (shown in photo). Over the last couple of days, I've started misting the leaves (not the soil) with water, and the new ones especially seem to like that.
What should I do? I'm pretty worried about it and I have no prior experience with citrus, so it's tough to figure out how to help it.

Comments (2)