SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stl_novice

Dahlias for beginners

STL_novice
12 years ago

Just moved from Kansas City to St. Louis, MO, though originally from here. In Kansas City I had a garden that I had been working on for a few years, but due to financial reasons I had to leave my house and move back to St. Louis to recoup and be closer to family. Losing the house was one thing, but losing the garden was a huge blow (this could be a topic all on its own.) I was always a bargain plant shopper and last July I picked up a strange little half dead plant at an Ace Hardware. It was on the mostly dead plant sale rack. I paid a dollar for it and put it in the ground. At first I thought it was a peony, but as it grew it turned out to be a Dahlia, the first one I have ever grown. It was a short plant with roughly 3 inch flowers, but by the end of summer it has sprawled out and was covered in violet/purple blooms. It was a flowering machine. Now I am living in an apartment, but the landlord allows gardening in the back yard. I have been thinking about doing a small annual bed and the idea of planting Dahlias keeps popping in my head. I have been doing a little research and I never knew Dahlias came in so many different shapes and sizes and colors. The yard is a blank slate, good southern exposure and probably terrible soil. Where do I begin? Thanks for any advice you can offer!!!

Comments (6)