SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

Sequoia sempervirens in central NJ - Any chance? PT. 2

davidrt28 (zone 7)
10 years ago

The former thread had almost 100 posts: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/conif/msg091645289283.html

Here's a clickable picture of the damage to my largest one, a 'Soquel':

{{gwi:677974}}
screengrab

As you can see the lowest branches that were below the snow line were protected enough to stay green. Between about 1' and 2' is the "zone of incineration" - all the foliage browned by light reflected from the snow. The top 2'-7' of the plant has mixed damage. But all of my Sequoias - 'Atlanta', 'Swarthmore Hardy/Chapel Hill', and 'Soquel' are all still clearly, unambiguously alive, and the parts below the snowline are finally showing very tiny signs of regeneration and budding. I will report later if any of them completely lose their leaders, but I don't think that's going to happen.

This winter was the coldest in 20 years, my low was 3F several times. What is really remarkable and scary after reviewing my digital picture log since the start of year is how the march of damage continued until quite recently. The cold March even managed to finish off some things that I'm pretty sure would have made a recovery if we'd warmed up more promptly. Pittosporum tobira (hardy form) was still about 30% green as of March 1. Prunus mume is actually blooming almost *2* months later than it has sometimes bloomed, and one month later than usual! The overall pattern of most satisfying freeze performance to least:

Rhododendrons > Conifers > Camellias > non-Camellia BLEs > Ericas > Palms (small Sabal & Trachy dead, of course)

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 12:34

Comments (31)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm