SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susiq_gw

One of those Murphy's Laws things ....

susiq
18 years ago

Guess what I got to do this weekend? Answer: Watch my husband fight a VERY BAD PNUEMONIA and probable Strep infection in ICU since Friday morning.

He's still in ICU, but DID get his ventilator out this morning, and had been basically breathing on his own the last 24 hours. I came home to rest & do a thousand errands/etc, and have just popped in to say "hi". The hospital is 40 miles away, so this is my first trip home or near a computer.

He's doing well, I think, and just needs to recover. There's some fluid buildup outside of his lungs, which I think they will drain later today. Not sure how much longer he'll be in ICU, at least one more day, maybe more? But at least he's off the ventilator.

How'd he get it? Not sure--some combination of overwork (self imposed), horrifically long hours awake (again, self imposed), and chronic bronchitis/COPD/Asthma/Emphysema all took their toll. Oh yes, and 40 or so years of heavy smoking. There is that!

Anyway, he called me 5 am Friday morning from his job 40 miles away,(same town as hospital) and asked me to call emergency help for him. Glad he did, and I did. We're thinking that his WORST slump were those hours from 5am to 10am when they got him on the ventilator. So far since, he's been stable and improving.

All the kids came in, and his parents (who live in the same town as us), my sister and her husband, and friends from church have brought food and even cash donations to help us in these early days. (INCREDIBLY kind & brings me to tears!) There's a nice guesthouse on the hospital property and we're staying there, then visits aprox every 2 hours. My oldest daughter and my in-laws are staying there this afternoon & tonight while I'm home.

I think we're going to be lucky, that he'll survive. I'm sure he'll be weak & need lots of recovery time, and attention. Hopefully this will be the wakeup call he needs to stop smoking. The doctors are already forming their "You MUST QUIT speech(es)", I'm sure! I took a few pics of him on his cell phone yesterday to show him what he looks like all ventilated and stuff. Maybe that will help too!

Oh yes, my own cell phone fried itself Thursday, and I haven't had time to get it fixed w/ Jesse in the hospital. So, I'm using his, which is just like mine, but I don't know his passcode to get messages, and the cellular signal STINKS at/in/nearby the hospital, so it's REALLY hard to make or get calls from friends and relatives.

I have no idea what this will do to his job, or how long I'll be away from mine, or when/if I have to get a "real" job. He does have insurance, but I'm sure we'll have more than we want of bills to pay.

So, back to my title--this sure as heck qualifies as a Murphy's Law interruption to my tra-la-la world of one more time trying to be a cut flower grower!

I can't decide if I should water things while I'm home right now,(we MIGHT have rain tonight, but they're dry now), or try and sow a few zinnia/sunflower seeds, or take a nap, or hunt down cell-phone repairmen, or any of the other dozen things to do. So of course,I'm writing to my friends on the web, instead! I HAVE hugged on my dogs--we've all been missing each other! And I'll have to go out and get more dogfood for the Great Dane.

Thanks in advance for the prayers and good thoughts you'll send silently or in response to this. I'll be around today and tonight til sometime early tomorrow morning, and then go back to the hospital and no computers--for me. (Nurses & doctors have them, but not patient's families! Bummer!--LOL!)

So, if I don't get you answered, (Valerie, the Co-op idea sounds neat, but I obviously can't consider it, yet....) please know that I DO appreciate your kind words/thoughts/prayers, and they ARE helping. God is Good.

SusiQ

Comments (16)

Sponsored