SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flowerfarmer_gw

Cutflower Growers Journal May 31 - June 5

flowerfarmer
18 years ago

It's Tuesday and no Journal. It's Tuesday and I am still weeding the lisianthus. But, good news. It's May 31; and, there are buds on the Karma dahlias. We're gonna be rich!!

For those of you who post in the journal, I was just curious: Is growing cutflowers a lifestyle first, and then a business? Or do you consider it a business? For me it is a lifestyle. If otherwise, most likely I would have continued on my chosen career path. But, if it is a lifestyle, one pretty much deals with whatever comes. If it is a business first, then we are dealing with crop yield. For instance, 800 Karma dahlia plants times 16 stems times $1 per stem (this is an estimate because I don't know selling price yet) equals $12,800. I'm not that pragmatic. I'm sticking with lifestyle first.

Just this morning we made a management decision: no special orders this year. It takes away the independence we have as flower growers. It's a stress level we also don't want to deal with any longer.

Enjoy your moments in the sun. I will continue wearing sunscreen even though I recently read an article that stated we were doing more harm than good because the sun's rays (according to some obscure study) are now good for us.

Blue eyed, fair skin people cannot take a chance.........

Comments (21)

Sponsored