SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
norma_2006

Haworthia do you grow them

norma_2006
13 years ago

I was just interested to see if any one is interested in Haworthia? If not I'm sorry that I brought it up, what about other Crasulaceae, bulbs, Monocotyledon. Norma

Comments (21)

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Norma..how are you? Long time talking, again. Hope you're well, and all is fine.

Are you asking if anyone is interested in Haworthia, etc for conversation or another purpose?
    If you mean generally, I think they're very, very nice. I don't have many Haworthias, only a few, but would like to find one that is deeply variegated. I'm up to my neck in Crasulaceas. lol. I have a few bulbs, not sure about a Monocotyledon. Have to look that name up.
    I believe cotyledons have thick, roundish leaves, if I'm not mistaken, but not sure where the Mono fits in.

Was it you who posted a pic of a var Haworthia the other day/last wk? I can't recall but it was a beauty.

Anyway, hope you're well, Toni

• norma_2006
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was hoping that some members can talk about something else be side 'Jade' this has been going on for 6 years now. Moinocotyledons, is a Family name that includes many flowering plant, it is a description of the first leaves that the seed produces. Includes bulbs, Crasulaaceae, Sansevieria,Aloaceae, (Gasteria, Haworthia) and many more genus. Well you get the idea, I noticed that several common species are never discussed, so I am hoping to open up some dialogue.

• Related Discussions

Do you grow any of these and what can you tell me about them pls?

Q

Comments (8)
    We grew "Lundy Lane" and I found it to be a very lovely mostly-yellow Pernetiana. Its' foliage is a very light-medium green, and very attractive. One caveat: of all the Pernetiana roses I've grown it suffered the most badly from blackspot. I have an organic rose garden and never sprayed it with anything other than Cornell. It continued to bloom c. 3 weeks later in Autumn than my other Pernetiana roses, which also endeared it to me. For comparison, these are healthier Pernetiana roses for our area, near Oakland, California. I never needed to spray theses with anything: "Duquesa de Penaranda" the healthiest of all Pernetiana roses in our area. The climbing form is fantastic!!! "Soliel d'Or" "President Herbert Hoover" the most fragrant of the Pernetiana roses to my nose. "Gruss an Coberg" "Mari Dot" a fabulous Dot rose but very small on her own roots, I'd love it on rootstock. Luxrosa
    ...See More

Asiatic Lilies: What do seeds look like & how do you grow them?

Q

Comments (3)
    Well welcome to mystery land. I've cross pollenated my own Lilies before and gotten some real ugly looking things and some real nice ones. Most have been done before. The seeds can be removed and planted as soon as the pod starts to get "crunchy" or hard. This may require a daily check otherwise it may fall and split before you get them. Seems this happened on a windy night all too often to me so now I put a baggie around it. The seed color varies. I've had black, green, yellow and shades of those, however it doesn't seem to matter much if i'm a little too early or late. Mine have never bloomed the first year, may bloom some the 2nd and full size plants by the 4th year from seeds. There is no gaurantee the new color will stay that way thru coming generations. If you are trying to get a brand new variety like I am it seems very difficult. I thought I had one 9 years ago. I crossed a dark yellow with a Stargazer and got a Lily with a dark yellow base and a light pink brush with dark pink spots. It resembled "TOM PUCE" but with spots. After 3 generations of it I send it in and found someone had done it before. You can expect a surprise. I've planted the seeds inside (after 3 weeks in freezer) and let them grow all winter. And I've just let them lay on the ground all winter. They grow either way. Lilies are not very fussy about it. My current cross involves Lilium "NEGRE" (a very dark red) and "CASABLANCA". We'll see what I get. Take the seeds and plant a few in various ways just to be sure. GOOD LUCK to you. And you can name it LILIUM "MARBREE".
    ...See More

Do you think these yews will grow back? Should I trim them? Cut down?

Q

Comments (19)
    I don't have enough info to decide whether it needs to be removed: space available, distance from buildings, utilities, sidewalks, etc, etc, but I typically don't have trees removed until they seem likely to soon cause an issue. However, I live in a rural area, and considerations of cost of removal, other issues such as location of hazards such as overhead wires, buildings, other trees, etc. may influence your decision and are probably different in your more populated area.
    ...See More

Haworthia died

Q

Comments (22)
    Haworthia can lose all their roots and then regrow them. The tough part is that as they lose the roots, the roots rot and the plant doesn't absorb water so the pot stays damp for much longer. If you don't notice in time you can easily lose the plant. Lost roots on a Haworthia with many leaves/decent size isn't too bad to deal with. If there are no roots on a small Haworthia (which I have received many times in the mail) then it can be quite difficult and stressful to reroot. In those cases, it's a very delicate balance between light/less light, losing leaves to drying/dampness to encourage roots.
    ...See More
  • Greenthumb
    13 years ago

Hi Norma,
    I'm glad you started this thread because I too am a little tired of all of the jade threads. Jade is a nice plant, but there are so many OTHER succulents available that I find it unusual that jade is discussed so much.

I have a fairly large collection of Haworthia (I'm actually in the process of making a database of my Haworthias, so I don't have an exact count right now, but will shortly.)

I grow all of my Haworthias under fluorescent lights in my basement. It's quite cool in my basement year 'round. During the winter the temp is in the 55°F range and in the summer the temp is in the low to mid 60's to maybe 70°, if the A/C is not on. Surprisingly, the plants grow very well under these conditions.

I use a composted bark-based potting medium with extra perilite added for drainage. I'd like to use pumice, but it would be too expensive to have the quantity shipped here that I would need. I fertilize very rarely, but I do fertilize a couple times a year.

The plants are grown 6" to 12" from the tubes and there are 4, 40-watt fluorescent tubes over the plants.

Haworthias are great light garden subjects and you can grow a fairly large number of them in a relatively small space. (My plant stand has two shelves, 6' long by 3' wide.)

I also like the smaller-growing aloes and agaves and have a number of those, as well.

I'm really excited because I found and purchased Haworthia limifolia var. striata. It was terribly expensive but I really wanted the plant. I should be getting the plant this week. It's been nice that we've had such a nice warm fall here to allow buying plants via mail order later than I normally could, due to cold temperatures.
    Mike

• norma_2006
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am so glad that you responded. I have about 20 flats of this genus. I love the variety, I am hoping perhaps we can make the forum for all. It is not a 'Jade' forum. What about cactus. Aloe, Gasteria, Sansevieria, I would like to introduce other plants to the group. Senecio, and many others that are never mentioned. What other Haworthia are you looking for? I just got a H. lockwoodii I now have one more I must get that is difficult to find. Norma

• mrlike2u
    13 years ago

As I sit here reading this thread I gander over at my two Hawortiha thinking to myself and say to myself how do I make them work in the way a Jade would work. But they just sit there in there 4 inch TC's and do there thing.

Mindless convo for a thread I know and I can assure you the Haworithas don't respond to the question I ask them either. That being Haw's what do you want to be when you grow up ?

Jades can be something when they grow and I think people tend to want to do something to feel as they're a part of the plant maybe this lets them feel as there jades are as unique as it can be just like the individuale grower is. All this is done manners of trimming pruning, shaping and that sorta stuff.

There's nothing wrong with Jades or Haws either in that sense but imagine if you saw a massive outpouring of Haw threads for the last six 6 years and Jades got the back seat
    What would the Caudex type succulents ever do or if Agave's where never heard from again. I don't feel bad for the hawortihas as there are other succulent plants like them that are in the same boat as well.

I would like to think of something more exiting to do with mine to help with there reputation of Gee that's a nice harowtia TY for posting pics to read more like OMG what made you think of that idea, nice inspiration type of worded thread in a sense a individual HAW growing manner that would let people wanna wait in line for a there few new to me Haws much like they do with Jades.

• beachplant
    13 years ago

thank you for posting this! I too am sick to death of jades. It's a boring plant that is way too fussy for the returns.
    Hawthoria on the other hand...there are so many, they are sooo cute, fast growers, easy to share, cute blooms...
    I grow the majority of mine up on the porch roof with the rest of the bunch. Some are in the back where they get bright light but no full sun.
    I had planned to hunt down all the names of mine and make a list but after hurricane Ike I'm just not that interested yet.
    I did pick up a lovely little one that is almost white the other day at Lowe's. I have probably 10 or 15 different ones, always on the hunt for more and have a want list of a dozen more. You know, I bet there is more than that out there, I'm always buying them or trading them around...
    I'll try and get some pics when the rain stops.
    Norma, post pics of yours!
    Tally HO!

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

I have a couple of Haworthias,but have crassulaes(sp) as well.I love the latter better than jades,although i do own a couple of those also.I love my tillandsias as well and broms.Guess you could say i have a little bit of a lot of things,if i see it and like it i get it!!!
    Kathi

• Greenthumb
    13 years ago

Hi Norma,
    I do have H. lockwoodii already and it's a very nice plant. I'll take a look at my "want list" once I get home and I'll let you know what I'm looking for.

mrlike2u,
    I'm not here to argue about which plant is better; there are as many plant interests as there are people. And that's just Norma's point - it seems there is an excess of threads on jade when there are so many other succulents out there.

I understand Norma's frustration with all of the jade threads. Jade is a very common plant and can become quite large when mature. I've seen a number of photos in the threads showing a number of different immature plants - sometimes not much more than recently rooted cuttings and I hate to say it, but they're kind of boring (to me).

There is very little difference between the different cultivars of jade other than leaf color. There are a couple of cultivars that have unusually shaped leaves (like Crassula ovata 'Gollum'), but otherwise, the leaves and growth habit is pretty much all the same for every jade.

While Haworthias generally grow in the shape of a rosette (not all do i.e. Haworthia blackburniae), the leaf forms are quite varied in both shape, color, texture and size.

Due to the small stature of Haworthias, you're certainly not going to put a Haworthia on the floor and display it as a specimen plant. But due to the smaller stature of Haworthias, a relatively large collection of mature Haworthias can be maintained in a fairly small growing area.

For everyone that has many of the different jade cultivars, once the plants start to mature, the plant owners are going to be hard-pressed to find room for all of those large plants, in addition to providing the amount of light needed to keep the plants growing nice and compact. That won't be a problem for those in Southern California, but for those in areas that freeze during the winter, it could pose a big problem.

It would just be nice if some of the other succulents could be discussed a little more (not just Haworthias). I know there have to be people out there that are growing a much more varied palate of succulents than are discussed in this forum.

My .02

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Norma...Hi..:-)

You beat me to it..I was actually going to start a Haworthia thread and ask help about lighting..

I myself have two cute ones and I wondered if a south facing window in winter is ok for them...? Do they like the winter sun and not do well in the summer sun? What kind of light do theyn thrive in come winter verses summer?
    Thank you for staring this thread..I love these little plants as they do not take much room up at all and can be so pretty..

Greenthumb...I love the idea with the lights you use for being able to have many of them..If I may, where did you get the
    Haworthia limifolia var. striata? I have been looking everywhere for one...Thank you..

Beachplant..I too have found teh roof on my home to be agreat place for many of my plants..:-)

Mike..You make some great points..Thanks..

Toni..So good to see you here and you should post some pics of your great looking plants....:-)

Norma, my mom says hi and I hope you are doing well..Thank you for this information.

Mike

• beachplant
    13 years ago

yeah, where did you get your h. limifolia var. striata? I too have been looking for it. Found one but it was very unhealthy looking and priced too high.
    Myermike, they should be OK in the south window over winter. Mine usually slow down their growth this time of year, well, once we get a cold front going. You know the drill, cut down water, rotate them, they are pretty good at telling you what they want.

Greenthumb, I couldn't find a more boring plant than jades if I tried. They hate humidity so that pretty much rules them out for me, and even if I wanted to be bothered with these fussy things they are almost always plain green here because it's never cold enough, or they freeze. Once you see a big one the thrill is gone.
    maybe there should be a jade forum!

Gasteria are my newest addition, I've always grown a couple but am now finding more and more, also some crosses. Woo-hoo!
    Tally HO!

• jade_man
    13 years ago

beachplant,

do you hate jade plants because you are unable to grow them, or do you not grow them because you hate them?

• norma_2006
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There are 24 species, that I have seen, I bored with them, they are boring plants, I respond only because I want to help those who have them, I don't know what the fuss is about. I have become obsessive regarding the Sansevieria, Crassula, Sedum, Agave miniatures, Sedum trees, that color up, I have 525 of Haworthia, Aeonium, Tylecoden, Cotoledon, Gasteria also a large collection only 25 speceis that I know of, but a lot of hybrids that are really beautiful, and the hummers love the flowers, about 25 Aloe all miniatures not over 16" across. Many miscellaneous species. 4 - 6-12 each. Rhipsalis, Tricodiademis only 4 different etc. I even grow a few fat plants. Many Echinopsis, some smaller cacgus, lots of rock, and the Mamm. 'Charlie'? A few Euphorbia, many variegated plants. We just need to open the discussion up to more species, on how to grow them, this is supposed to be a group that exchanges information, all information about the plants, all plants. Please be good sports, civil to others, polite to others who respond, and welcome new poeple. Welcome all new input, if you belittle their input I don't think they will stay with the group, you don't need to reply just say thank you, which doesn't cost you a dime.

I just got a H. lockwoodii paid for
    I received 13 Opuntia
    I received 12 Echinopsis
    I received 10 hybrid Aloe
    so was not arranged but spontaneous
    I have never been corrected for my spelling nor do I correct any one else.
    I put Haworthia on my Coffee TAble when I have a board meeting, the San. 350+ of these one at a time go on the floor they are too heavy to be lifted, and I don't have a big man in the house any more. My dear friend 6ft 2" Fire Chief couldn't lift it either. (San Stuckii) I did not proof this. Norma

Try it you may like it. Norma

• lzrddr
    13 years ago

My wife and I went through a Haworthia phase, but it didn't last since most of our nice pots got rained on by all the junky trees we had overhead and over time half the plants rotted out... I still have a few hundred plants, but I can't for the life of me identify even half of them anymore. Here are a few of the pots that did and didn't work

This pot was a wife creation and had several nice plants in it... but we have this Acacia baileyana tree in the yard that rains tons of sticky pollen a gazillion little leaves. We really needed to get some shade cloth for these plants. This pot has something else in it now.

{{gwi:685934}}

Tried to keep this pot in sun room, but despite two sky lites and lots of windows, all plants got severely etiolated and then ... well, you know

{{gwi:685936}}

Nice pot my wife put together... actually did well for a seveal years, but in an area under shade cloth and again, too little light after a while

{{gwi:685940}}

this pot did great for 3 years and then several of the Haworthias just over grew all the others... still have it, but it only has 3 huge plants in it now
    {{gwi:685941}}

Still have this pot, but is has suffered from raining leaves and sap as well
    {{gwi:685942}}

here it is 4 years later

{{gwi:685943}}

this pot was one of the best... wife's creation... sadly the wood rotted and then so did the plants (or many of them.. a lot of them are now planted about the yard and doing well).

{{gwi:685944}}

can't find the early photos of this pot... was a triple decker thing and had some relatively common, cheaper Haworthias.. and now they live in a shadier area (things grow in the yard) and are super green and sort of leggy due to low light.. .but it's still there

{{gwi:685945}}

another creation we no longer have (no clue where this one went)
    {{gwi:685946}}

this is one of two razor rock pots and these are extremely well draining pots.. both still exist 4 years later and the plants are still pretty healthy... this one now is in a tad too much sun

{{gwi:685947}}

and this one is in too much shade, but the plants in it are doing well, probably because such good drainage

{{gwi:685948}}

This pot is our best creation (wife's again)... still looks great to this day and it is in the perfect spot in the yard where gets a lot of light, but no direct sun light and no icky pollen or leaves from overhead trees. I didn't upload a photo of the other side, but it is nice as well

{{gwi:685949}}

• Greenthumb
    13 years ago

Mike,
    I just sent you an email with a link to the source of the Haworthia limifolia var. striata. If you decide not to purchase the plant, you can give the link to BeachPlant. I'm sending the link to you first since you were the first to ask and there is only one more plant for sale. The plant is very expensive, but it's the only H. l. var. striata that I was able to find in the USA. There are a few for sale in the UK, but you'd have a hard time importing them into the USA and it would be expensive to do so.

As far as I'm concerned, growing Haworthias under fluorescent lights is the ONLY way to go. The plants receive more than enough light and because the light is coming from directly above the plants, they grow very symmetrically - no having to turn the plants to keep them from leaning toward the light from the window.

A 4' fluorescent fixture is around 20.00 (just guessing, I have not purchased one for years) and you can grow quite a few plants under a single fixture. If you can, buy a fixture with a wide reflector. The wider the reflector, the more plants you can grow under the light. Fixtures with wide reflectors are more expensive than those with very narrow reflectors, but the extra money is more than worth the added expense.

Norma,
    Which plants are you saying you're bored with? The Haworthias? Or some other plant?
    Mike

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Guys and Gals, NO one is forcing anyone here to read the Jade posts. No one ever said this is a "Jade Forum". If you think Jades are boring then don't read posts or comment on post that are Jade related...NO one is forcing you guys to read them or post responses to them. Just like NO one is keeping anyone from posting about any other C&S plants on this forum. We should be free to post what we want and just as free NOT to comment or read them if we don't want to.
    Many of us here don't share the same opinion that Jades are boring...you're entitled to your opinions and so are we.

It seems to me there are a LOT of Jade posts because there are MANY members here that grow them and have questions on growing them or just enjoy showing pictures of their Jade plants to members that enjoy them as much as they do ...if you don't want to see them or read about them...then don't OPEN the link. Simple as that! PROBLEM SOLVED!!

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

I never understood certain people..Seems like there will always be the few minority that don't enjoy seeing others happy and snub the ones that seem to have positive attitudes or come here because they are happy to share ..Oh well
    I see it, that is why I post a lot less often and I am sure there is always the minority that don"t like jades just as much as that do not like me, called..I feel jaded.Oh well

Nancy, I am with you on this...Great point..I can only sit back and say nothing for so long..

Mike

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    13 years ago

I see it as Jade and Christmas cactus as the entry drug , I mean Plant that hooks people into cactus and succulents. They are the plants that we cut our teeth on. Me I am an aloe/opuntia freak. I went straight for the stigmata makers, thorny person that I am. I am just now branching out into others. I like using Haworthias at the feet of upright trunk forming opuntias. They nestle nicely amongst the rocks and create a second level of interest in the pot. I get tired of reading passed the jade plant entris since I have not one. I don't make a judgement one way or the other.

I do like that this thread talks about the issue that many on here have missed the Diversity". I sis back in my living room and remember the days when it was a much more diverse group of big outdoor succulent growers AND indoor pot people. NOW, i would like to say that it is NOT the jade peoples fault since they do bring their discussions to the board but it is the opuntia/agave/haworthias/etc guys's fault for not bringing their questions, pictures, disease problems, new stagings/tips/etc to the board. If we remain silent, silence is what you get.
    Here is a picture of a hawortia by the foot of a opuntias
    {{gwi:685950}}

• mrlike2u
    13 years ago

Howdy Green thumb: If your not here to argue then I think you may of read what I said wrong, if by chance you mistook what I said ( and I do think you did misread) then read it again, only this time try to see how lzrddr took some Haw plants and made there HAWS unique

Notice the part where I was saying the same way that some do and have done with jades over the past years by bending twisting trimming pruning.

Nobody said jade is the better plant and nobody said Haws are the better plant. Grow what ever you want it's a plant not a debate.

My intentions to this thread are better described by pics from lzrdd than by some off the wall self decoded meaning that you wished to let it mean

I don't think anyone is bored with any one plant Haw or Jade
    As I can only speak for myself I thought I was looking for some form of inspiration for Haws see the HAW pics now from lzrddr ? over the "how your not here to argue" line.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

I'm a bit late to the Haworthia conversation, but yes, I grow a few. My most favorite limifolia, which I don't have any more, was an early favorite.

Tho' I feel this pales in comparison to many of the above pix (growing outdoors) this is on a west window in NYC.

Here's one I rather like: some form of H. truncata.

May look kind of dry, but it's a pic from July, humid summer in NYC & I'm careful w/ the water so as not to lose its roots.

(Its neighbor to the left Crassula Christina, both from Jerry Barad several yrs. ago.)

{{gwi:685951}}

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

I have just a few ordinary Haworthia, but they are all very different from each other and I would not have guessed they were all Haworthias just by looking. This to me is a cool thing about this genus.

Lzrddr you have an astounding plant collection.

• norma_2006
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am never bored with a plant, if I get bored I plant Radishes. I love all plants and kittens. I just can't understand why every one is so obsessed over this species. All of the information and questions have been discussed over and over each month. I just one of you to write a phamphlet of 16 pages on just "Jades" there is enough information for one of you to do just that, you could make a fortune, sell it on dBay. I really like the Hawothia, the little Crassula will do better now that it is winter. It does need more soil, it should be growing right on top on the soil, and fill that pot. Norma