SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
dragon49_gw

Growing a Lemon Tree

dragon49
17 years ago

I am new to this. I sprouted 4 lemon (normal store bought) seeds in a wet paper towel and put them in a pot of soil on my windowsill. I have southern sun exposure. The plant is now 10 days old and is growing well:

Two of the seedlings are about 1 1/2 inches tall. The other two are about half as tall. I have watered once, but given no fertilizer. I plan on keeping the soil moist, but not soaking it.

To be clear - I am having a lot of fun creating life, but have no experience in this area. I have a number of questions:

When should I start fertilizing?

Can I use miracle grow, or should I use something else?

What is the normal growth cycle for a "lemon tree?" Will this be affected by the soon to come time change and the ever shortening days?

With the expected growth rate, how long will my pot of soil (around 6 inches tall - not sure of diameter - normal ratio) be sufficient?

I have a garden to transpalnt it outside after the last frost. (I am assuming late April or Early May, please correct me if I am wrong) Will it be ready for transplant by then?

With lemons, do the seeds have to be female to produce fruit, or will all lemon seeds bear fruit?

Thank you for all of your help!

Comments (22)