SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
disneynut1977

Dividing Japanese painted ferns?

I have fallen in love with the japanese painted ferns. The whole back of my house is part/shade-full shade (2-3 hrs filtered sun depending on time of year) and I have never been a fan of shade plants, except bleeding hearts until I saw a painted fern. For my budget right now they are out of my price range considering I would need more than a few. My hubby and I were at our local Home depot pricing wood for our new front porch and I decided to walk through what was left of the shrubbery outside. Wouldn't you know I came across 8 3 gallon pots stuffed with painted ferns at half off ($5 a pot) and it even looked like they had been kept out of the sun (saw some a fews months earlier there and they were scorched). I was so happy. My hubby is there today getting our main posts for our porch and I asked him to pick up the 3 best looking and largest of the bunch for me and made it clear he wasn't allowed to come home without them. I'm hoping he surprises me with 4 of them. My question is when I saw them yesterday, these 3 gallon pots really are stuffed and I could seperate the smaller ones. How should I plant these? Should I water the area very well and seperate the ferns and put them in? Do they like the area very wet to start off or just moderate watering? Any help would be great. I plan on mulching with natural red cedar mulch. I do know to mark the area due to that they come up later in spring.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus