SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claritamaria

'Staggie in Trouble'!

16 years ago

Hello. I am a frequent poster on the orchids forum. I was moving my Staghorn fern indoors. I live in the Windy city and snap! Is there a way to save this? I am devistated. There is a very young sterile fron attached but 0 roots.Thanks for any advise.

Clara

{{gwi:614032}}

Comments (2)

• 16 years ago

I don't think it's over for your plant. I would pot it up into a relatively small, clay pot (4 inch diameter or so). (If you have an orchid pot--those clay pots with holes in them--that'll work too.) Use a very loose mix of sphagnum moss perhaps with some added perlite. Be sure to plant very shallowly--you don't want too much of the leaf buried. Sometimes I use pebbles as a mulch to help support a top heavy plant. Keep it in a very humid environment--mist frequently but keep the mix just moist and not wet.It should be fine and then you can decide to grow it as an epiphyte again (mounted and not in a pot).

• 16 years ago

Thank you! I have it sitting upright in a 2" pot of spag with a plastic bag very very loosely around.It. Its propped up in the window. sill. With orchids that have no roots we call it "spag & bag". The bag is left open but it gives a bit of a humidity boost

The leaves are beginning to loose turger pressure even though I am misting. I'll keep on it!

Clara

Sponsored