theriguy

What is wrong with my Nagami kumquat?

important notes:
-grown in a container
-grown in Manitoba Canada
-use a general fertilizer 20-20-20 once monthly
-watered regularly once top few inches of soil feel dry
-using a peat based potting soil

Earlier this spring I bought a small kumquat tree from a nursery. when i got it its was showing signs of what i believed to be a iron deficiency (light green leaves with dark green veins) and was in a fairly small pot. I treated it with Iron chelate 7% and upgraded the pot.

Shortly after the tree exploded with new growth and its first ever blooms. everything was going great until a few weeks ago when the new growth stopped growing, all new leaves started curling inwards, about half of the tiny green kumquats dropped off and the older bottom leaves started turning orange/yellow and dropping.

I'm not sure what the problem could be or if there's even a problem at all. around the time this started (end of July) the weather took a turn for the worst and we didn't get much sun and temps where low 20*Cs during the day and dropping to 8*C-12*C at night. when the temp us going down below 10*C I was overnighting the tree in the house and putting it back out in the morning/mid day when temps were warmer

I read somewhere that curling inward leaves could be caused by under watering or dry patches in the root ball so I tried submerging the whole pot in water to get rid of any possible dry patches but this has appeared to have had not effect

I have attached pictures:

{{gwi:619018}}

{{gwi:619020}}

{{gwi:619022}}

Comments (3)