SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

My New Four Winds Trees pics! (but also transplant shock worry)

bonechickchris
10 years ago

HI Everyone!

Although I am constantly reading on the citrus forum, it has been quite a while since I last posted.
I have been growing citrus in NJ for several years now. I finally got a Solexx greenhouse for this year! Until this year, I was always lugging in my citrus inside the house every winter, and supporting them with artificial light in the winters. Thank goodness for the greenhouse now!
Anyway, even though I have had citrus for several years, although hard to believe it took this long, I finally made my first Four Winds order! I recently just had a major surgery, so I thought I would treat myself to what was at first, 2 trees. However, since they had a 20% off coupon for the summer, it was easy to talk myself into 3 trees! Then, I discovered, after the 3 trees, I mistakenly put 4 trees in my shopping cart, and realized from the 3rd to 4th tree, the shipping only went up $3! So, with the shipping only going up $3 instead of $20 like the first 2 trees, and along with the 20% off, it made perfect sense (in my mind anyway) just to get 4 trees! I would eventually buy the trees at another time anyway, so think of the shipping and discounts saved buying 4 now instead of 2 now and 2 later! LOL!
So long story short, I purchased 4 three-year-old trees from Four Winds. I got
Golden Nugget Mandarin
Australian Finger Lime
Moro Blood Orange
Santa Teresa Feminello Lemon

They arrived bare root in cedar shavings. I got them on Friday and planted them on Saturday. I used the 5:1:1 recipe, using pine bark fines, perlite, and Pro-Mix potting medium. As suggested by Four Winds, I also added their cedar shavings to the mix accounting for part of the pine bark share of the ratio. I also added a small amount of dolomite lime, and slow release fertilizer (no instant fert yet). I bought this new brand pellets instead of Osmocote pellets this time because the ratio of the fertilizer was closer to a 3:1:2 ratio and wanted to see how it worked out ( I think it is actually 24-8-16 on the nose, but will double check and name of brand too and will post it).

I soaked them in water just a little bit before potting up along with a liquid product called SuperThrive, very little, only ¼ tsp. to the gallon. I only added this because Four Winds suggest using a vitamin B1 supplement while transplanting, and the superthrive has vitamin B in it along with a few other vitamins. It is suppose to help with the transplant shock.

So, I have them potted up, and have had them in the shade since Saturday. But I noticed now some more than usual wilting and slight leaf curl so I thought I would post some pics to see if you all think this is normal plant shock stress or perhaps more serious. For the most part, the one I am mainly concerned with is the Golden Nugget Mandarin. Although the newer foliage was slightly wilted to begin with when I received it, it seems to be getting worse.

I have had them outside the greenhouse in the shade since potting up. Was thinking of putting them in the sun and/or the greenhouse after 1 week, or maybe I should hold off even more now that they are showing more stress. I have also held off fertilizer. Unless someone suggests differently, I will be holding off fertilizing with Foliage Pro 3:1:2 liquid fertilizer for another week. I also have not watered since soil is still moist from potting up.

I have pics of all the trees just for you to see them in general (really impressed at the size of the finger lime!) While all show slight stress, you can see the mandarin is really bad.

Does anyone have any suggestions? When to take in or out of shade? When to apply Foliage Pro?
Do they look like regular potting stress, or something more? Could it just be from shipping, or did I do something to make it bad? Soil ratio look ok?

Again, I’m sorry for the long post (and the long scroll time because of the huge pictures). As always, I look forward to all suggestions and help!

Christy

Here is the sad Golden Nugget Mandarin. You can see the extra leaf wilting and slight curling.
{{gwi:618992}}

Here is Golden Nugget again, in the middle you see some weird curly leaves, they were there when I received the tree
{{gwi:618994}}

{{gwi:618996}}

Australian Finger Lime looks pretty good, but still has some wilting at the tips of the new growth in 2nd pic

{{gwi:618998}}

{{gwi:619000}}

Moro Blood Orange, seems pretty good, what do you think?

{{gwi:619002}}

Santa Teresa Feminello Lemon, seems ok?

{{gwi:619003}}

Comments (14)