SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garyb1_gw

Scales (?) on droopy birds nest fern

garyb1
18 years ago

I am new to ferns and to gardening. I received a very healthy-looking Birdsnest fern in April, and put it in my northfacing (but very strong light) bathroom, thinking the humidity would be good for it. It is about 5" in diameter in a 2" pot, very quick draining, which I water every 3 days or so. During the day, the air conditioning is off and the bathroom door often closed; thus the house and especially the bathroom get very warm in our hot Washington DC summers by the time I get home in the afternoon--eg, usually 82-84F. Over the last 3-4 weeks, said fern has been getting droopier; its healthy, shiny green color has become dull & somewhat lighter; and numerous leaves have turned brown & crisp around the bottom. A couple weeks ago, I noticed small, flat medium-brown, oval, pin-head-size bumps (very little raised--almost could be called spots, but more nearly scale-like) on the upper surface of the fronds. Are these the pests that an earlier post mentioned? When I saw them I thought they might be the spores I have heard ferns use to reproduce. Was I naive? Are these "spots" the problem? How do I restore the fern beck to health, if possible? Are my nearby [same room] staghorn and ficus threatened? Your help appreciated. ( I hope this first effort to post comes out right. I tried it first in the testing area.)

Comment (1)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio