SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parrothead_fa

I think I may have gotten Brugmansia sap in my eye.. what to do?

parrothead_fa
17 years ago

Ok, this is the only place I can think of where I might possibly get some advice on this, because you folks are probably among the few who even know what brugmansia are. I was pruning my brugs this evening and my eyes were a bit runny due to allergies, perfectly normal for me this time of year when I'm outside.

However, it became inceasingly hard to focus my eyes after a while, and finally I went inside to get some visine or wash them out, and I noticed my right pupil was completely dialated and totally unresponsive. This has never happened before, and, since the right eye was the one that was running earlier, I probably absently rubbed at it while pruning and handling the brugmansia. This is the only unusual thing I could have gotten on my hands and inadvertantly transferred to my eye, I hadn't been using any chemichals such as insecticides or fertilisers, and the only other plants I was trimming were the rose bushes, and they have not been sprayed with anything lately. I'm kind of worried about my vision, since it's been a couple hours and still no change. Has anyone out there ever had a similar experience, and what did you do for it? I have read about certain chemicals which the plants themselves contain, I'm wondering if this could be what has caused the reaction in my eye if I got some of the plant juice in there while working with them. It dosen't burn or itch, in fact, it feels kind of numb, doesent even feel allergic anymore. Is this dangerous, and should I see a doctor? Any advice would sure be appreciated on this one.

Dave.

Comments (14)