SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sita_gw

peacock fern (Sellaginella uvea)

sita
18 years ago

hello,

Anybody has experience with this fern? Can it be used as groundcover in East Texas, zone7b? Thank you for any info.

Comments (8)

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

I believe this is a moss rather than a fern.

• razorback33
    18 years ago

Believe it is Selaginella uncinata(Peacock Moss, Blue Moss) and is sometimes listed by growers as Peacock Fern. It is hardy to Z6. Check link for details and photos.
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Selaginella uncinata

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Also known as Peacock Spikemoss

Selaginella uncinata is native to China and has a light, feathery appearance. This is often thought of as a fern when really it is not, this is a trailing perennial. The leaves are fine textured with a blue-green metallic color. Peacock Spikemoss grow to a height of 1-2" and will root at the nodes, making a nice groundcover or hanging basket

nice plant!

• creatrix
    18 years ago

It wants a moist, high organic soil. Mine's not doing well under a tree.

• paalexan
    18 years ago

Just to clarify, since there seems to be some confusion... Selaginellas are neither ferns nor moss. There are currently seven phyla of plants that are normally recognized:

Anthocerophyta (hornworts)
    Marchantiophyta (liverworts)
    Bryophyta (mosses)
    Lycopodiophyta (spikemosses, clubmosses)
    Pteridophyta (ferns)
    Coniferophyta (conifers)
    Anthophyta (flowering plants)

Sometimes people split things up a bit more (e.g., Equisetum used to get its own phylum), but the gist is that Selaginellas and Lycopodiums make up their own phylum, Lycopodiophyta, and are not in the phyla of mosses or ferns despite the confusing tendency of common names to indicate otherwise.

Patrick Alexander

• janeandwayne_earthlink_net
    13 years ago

I had this plant when I lived in Panama (the country). I loved its irridescence but thought it was tropical and I would never see it again. Then lo and behold, it began to be seen in nurseries. I started with one clump and it has spread to a 6 x 9 sloped area. If it is in sun, it will have the yellow tinge; if it is in dappled shade, it will be blue-green and gorgeous. Mine is not irrigated and I don't water it regularly. My experience is that it doesn't have to be keep moist. It definitely is deer resistant. I live in Georgia, just south of Atlanta. I don't think uvea is correct.

• ily68
    5 years ago

I'm late to this post, but the Peacock Fern is on my to buy list, just as soon I can find one here in Miami, FL.

Sponsored