SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gee8ch

Brug Companion planting?

gee8ch
16 years ago

Still playing with ideas for plantings around my inground Brugs. Came across one plant called Persian Shield. New to me, but I think a lot of you experienced gardeners are probably familiar with it. Was thinking of planting it with my Charles Grimaldi and (if I ever get one ... hint, hint) ;0) Peaches and Cream. What do you think?

DWEEB: Check out Persian Shield!!! Beautiful foliage. (see Dave's Garden)

All advice and suggestions most appreciated. Gloria

Comments (46)

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Isn't that a shade plant?

• one_for_the_vine
    16 years ago

This might work for you, a relative of brugmansia. Could be used in containers if kept in check with pruners. I'm starting some from seed (ebay) this year to plant along with my brugs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brunfelsia

• Related Discussions

Companion plants for Bridal Wreath Spirea (foundation plantings)

Q

Comments (1)
    How much sun does this area get? How big is the planting bed? Do you want season long color? what color, evergreen, short, tall, shrub, perennial, annual, variety of plants or just 1 or 2? FWIW I have a bridal wreath spirea in the south west corner of my house that is in a partly shady spot so I have part shade plants nearby (Brunnera, creeping phlox, tulips, hostas, siberean iris)
    ...See More

Advice: Container planting companion plants

Q

Comments (2)
    I've been growing radishes pretty much everywhere. Generally they seem to be ready for harvest before the main plants are big enough for their to be any competition.
    ...See More

Companion flowering plants to plant among heathers

Q

Comments (7)
    "Bear in mind there is no such thing as a dwarf conifer. They all get big in the end. " That's not exactly true :-) There are true genetic dwarfs and many other 'dwarf' conifers will never get "big" or the same size as their full sized species cousins!! It's true they never stop growing, but the growth rate on dwarfs is so slow that they would need a dozen decades or more to actually develop significant size. Most can remain a compact and very manageable size in a smaller residential garden without concern.
    ...See More

companion planting...shallow rooted plants next to ones with deep root

Q

Comments (11)
    ahappycamper - I don't 'throw' any of my vegetables. Brassicas are grown about 2 feet apart. Lettuce about 6 inches. These are all planted out as transplants, not seed. I grow the plants from seed myself but not in situ. Despite what others say about deep and shallow rooting plants, intercropping of salad and brassicas works. It is tried and tested and a common practice over here. The salad is all harvested in the summer by the time the brassicas are ready in the winter. Here's the link again The picture shows Chard and Red Russian kale on my allotment. It wasn't taken to show intercropping hence you can't see the rows in total.
    ...See More
  • wildflower
    16 years ago

I grow Persian Shield and love it, but it's not hardy here. Easy to start cuttings and overwinter though. You're in zone 9 so bet you'd have no problems with hardiness issues. If you like the PS, bet you'd like sun coleus also. There's some great varities out there.

• daniellalell
    16 years ago

Gloria, thats exactly what I plan on doing! Also some coleus, sweet potato vine. Plan on having em all around my lil pond set-up together..also some EE's. I think Persian Shield is absolutely lovely. I just hope I can get some in spring before they're all sold out, or I'm gonna have to order it. PS likes wet feet if I remember correctly, so I plan on having it at both sides of my waterfall, with brugs in pots behind the PS. O Where is SPRING????

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Gloria, if you have salt in your soil, do not plant it. It will not survive. I learned this the hard way. It does great in San Antonio, but I cannot grow it in Rockport. Barbra,

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Gloria:

Ok - what the heck is a "Persian Shield"?

Never even heard of that. Still chasin' a passa-whozits.

• threas
    16 years ago

Here's images & links.
    Theresa

Here is a link that might be useful: Persian Shield

• maemae0312
    16 years ago

Oh I love the color purple!!! I think I will have more purple in my garden this year.

Mary

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Hey - now that's a kewel looking foliage plant. What a great plant to have when the brugs aren't flushing. Now what if you paired it with Polka-dot plant? Persian shield is purple and green and Polka-dot is pink and green.

I still like the idea of coleus also. Now, with Calabrachoa which is a non-stop bloomer - that would make an absolutely fantastic planting.

Non-stop, never ending color.

Concerns me a little - can this persian shield take some sun? The brugs need some sun - just not the blasting all day heat. Can the persian shield last with the sun the Brugs need?

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I looked up some and there are types for shade and sun. It is a really cool plant. Now I have to find one of thosssse, lol.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Here's a site with some very pretty pictures of Iochs.

Also have a picture of a triple yellow Brug called "The Chief" that hasn't been released yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arghya Gardens

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

dweeb, the neat thing about Persian Shield is that it has a silvery sheen to it, verrrrrry kewel! The nursery by my house usually carries it, but don't know if they have any right now. I have not been able to keep it growing year around, maybe I over-water as I just read it can be drought tolerant.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

It can be drought tolerant?

I just read it can't - "Moisture: Persian shield is not at all drought tolerant and should be watered before the soil dries out. "

Which is why I was thinking that it would do well by the Brugs.

It is a very, very pretty foliage plant! Wonder if it is available from seed.

• threas
    16 years ago

This lady overwinters her Persian Shield.
    Theresa

Here is a link that might be useful: overwintering PS

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Ok - reading on DG - I'm seeing there - they say it depends on your zone.

One site says it is drought tolerant - another one says it isn't.

LOL - apparently it's a wonderful plant - 5 feet in one year - but there is lots of conflicting information out there.

• threas
    16 years ago

There's probably different strains.? Mostly sounds like it has the same needs as brugs.Alot of water,but well drained soil,morning sun,but appreciates some afternoon shade.
    Theresa

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Oh now this plant sounds like a terrific bush! And given that it's foliage is a focal point - it would definatley be a plus between the flushes.

I've got a spot along the new garage that will only get morning sun until about 10:30. And because I now have about 36 foot of garage wall facing my neighbor's yard - that would be a very nice plant there along with some of the pickier brugs I had planned for that area.

Just to break that up - it faces his yard - I'd like to put some beauty there so he's not staring at just a wall from his deck.

• wildflower
    16 years ago

Hey Dweeb, I'm not sure what you guys are reading, but this plant likes full sun. Shows off the purple and the silver in it best that way. Can handle partial shade. Mine gets somewhere between 2-3 feet tall. Nowhere near 5' though... Maybe there are different strains....

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

WF - on DG - some have it in dappled shade - some under oaks - some under pine trees - people in very hot areas find that the full sun is scorching them.

One site says it can get burned in full sun.

Some on DG says it can take sun and afternoon shade, like brugs, but in the northern climates. I'm still surfin' to see if I can get a better handle on it. If it needs more sun than that - I have other places for it - just thought that particular spot would be fantastic for it.

If not - may throw some sangs in there also - see how they do.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Grrrrrrrr. . . .ok - pic your environment. LOL

------------------

Mississipi State University - Office of Agriculture:

The Persian Shield prefers well-drained, organic-rich soil. I rarely see it looking its best in full sun. Plant where it will get morning sun and afternoon shade to keep its brilliant colors from developing a scorched look.

The plants should reach close to 4 feet tall. Like coleus, pinching is recommended to keep plants bushy.

-------------------

Better Homes and Gardens:

LIGHT: Expose to medium (bright indirect) light. Avoid full sun. Tolerates low light.
    WATER: Allow soil surface to dry out between thorough waterings. Do not let roots dry out.
    TEMPERATURE: Maintain temperatures of 55 to 70 degrees.

----------------
    Nature Hills:

Persian Shield performs best in partial shade, planted in well drained organic soil.

--------------------------
    Floridata site:

Light: Persian shield does well in partial shade. Indoors, Persian shield needs a bright location. Keep Persian shield out of direct mid-day sun in summer. It does best with direct sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon.
    Moisture: Persian shield is not at all drought tolerant and should be watered before the soil dries out.

---------------------------
    New Jersy Gardening:

It can become a large plant (to 5 feet) but can be cut back or trimmed if it gets too big. It has excellent heat tolerance and above average drought tolerance (in dry times, watering will be needed to reduce wilting). Persian Shield should have full sun and good drainage to look itÂs best.

------------------

Tropical plants library on line:

Persian Shield is a shade lover ...so that's why this colorful plant is easy indoors. Basic culture is to situate Persian Shield in shade or broken shade, use a rich soil and keep slightly moist. The plant grows quickly in good soil

Maturing plants typically grow to 3-5 feet without pruning, and about as wide. Persian Shield colors vary with the amount of light and the temperature. Happily, Persian Shield stays boldly purple in shade, but some sun (like morning sun) gives even more contrasts for you to enjoy.

----------------------------

Ok - so - sounds like you just try it and see where it likes to be, huh?

Now I'm completely confused - but excited. I could try it in several locations and see where I likes to be.

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

FULL SUN: depends on your zone!! In the north Persian Shield does well in full sun. However, from what I can learn in my area full sun will literally bake the plant! Like Brugs, it needs,ideally, morning sun and afternoon shade or dappled sunlight (under tree canopy) It is thirsty like Brugs which is why I thought it would be a good color contrast between flushes.
    Hey Dweeb always looking for something new you and I can chase. lol.
    Anybody got a good source for the plant? I've already googled so I have a list, but looking for places you all have dealt with before! Supposed to be better to use cuttings. If I can find a plant will be happy to share some cuttings from it with you all. Gloria

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I had seen it listed on Central Texas Gardner as a shade plant for my area but see that there are different varieties and like you all were saying I would imagine it depends on how strong your full sun is.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

This picture is from Mongabay.com

I still wanna see someone grow this amazonian Water Lily. (grin)

(It's 6 feet across)

{{gwi:589832}}

• wildflower
    16 years ago

You got a pond big enough to grow those in Dweeb?? Yes, that sounds like a real good plan trying the PS in different locations. This is the one plant that my Mother usually overwinters some of for the both of us. Will have to check with her and see if she saved some this year. It's real easy to start from cuttings and you can have it all over in no time. Will share in the spring if she saved us some.

Here's a pic of one of my favorite sun coleus'
    {{gwi:589833}}
    I'm pretty sure that one is called Alabama Sunset. There's lots of different coleus out there that like sun, but I had a real hard time finding any this year...well...until fall. And I don't buy summer annuals in the fall!!! Lost most of mine last year trying to overwinter when I was not watering them enough... Got 2 I'm trying to save this year.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Wow WF - nice planting! I like that. Solid greenery and color!

Very very nice! It's beautiful!

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

That is really beautiful. Good job and thanks for the pic.

• wildflower
    16 years ago

Thanks ya'll. I love foliage plants. But I really love flowers... How much longer until spring?
    {{gwi:589834}}

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Wow look at all those happy lillies peeking up!

Too long until spring. . .far too long.

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wildflower: What GREAT looking pictures thanks for brightening up the day! By all means, please add my name to that springtime list for PS cuttings. I'm also going to see if I can find the sun coleus. In the past, they have not done well even potted because of the dry heat here. Sun-loving ones might fare better. Thanks, again. Gloria

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Wildflower, I am in love with your garden, lol. I can't believe I don't have any daylillies yet. Gonna have to fix that soon. What is the tall lilly? I need one of those, lol.

• threas
    16 years ago

Wildflower, Your garden is gorgeous!Kristy, ditto on the daylillies!LOL
    Theresa

• threas
    16 years ago

Hey guys, I was going through my seeds for wintersowing and came across "Purple Perilla". I googled it & lo & behold it reminded me of this thread. It's similar & you can grow it from seed. I have enough to share if you want to try growing it.
    Theresa

Here is a link that might be useful: A close second to Persian Shield-PURPLE PERILLA

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

That would be a good one for me. Hubby loves raw fish and it says it can be used in that for seasoning.

• wildflower
    16 years ago

Thanks for the compliments ya'll. Sorry for posting dayliliy pictures here... I couldn't help myself. It hasn't been above freezing at all today and I'm over this cold weather!

Theresa, I'd love to try some of the purple perilla. I'll check your want list and see if I have anything you're looking for.

• maemae0312
    16 years ago

oh wildflower post more pics, I am missing spring!!!

Mary

• threas
    16 years ago

Kristy, I'll send you some.You might as well look at my seed list & see if you want any other seeds. Wildflower,I just updated my trade list thanks for looking.I'll send you some too. Email me with subject line"Purple Perilla" & your address.Any one else?
    Thanks ,Theresa

• maemae0312
    16 years ago

Theresa I would love some if you have some extra.

Thanks,
    Mary

• threas
    16 years ago

Sure, Mary.Shoot me an email with your address.
    Theresa

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Love the pics girls! Wildflower I think we all welcome pics anytime! Especially this time of year, it does a heart good.

Hey Dweeb, I noticed all the brugs I wanted to bid on (or alot of them) you had bid on.....can I interest you in a trade for a fan?
    Citrix Stamile
    {{gwi:589835}}

You know you love it! lol
    Sassy

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Woooooooooow. . . .what do you want in exchange?

That is absolutely GORGEOUS.

Name it!

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Lol, I knew I'd get ya! Ha!

We'll work it out!

I got tied up and couldn't see the auctions end so don't know who got what, but happy for you all. I'm bidding now that ya'll got what you wanted and if you didn't please let meknow cause I don't want 3 of each. Don't have the space.

Sassy

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Ohh, thats purty, lol. Thanks Theresa. I'm about to go to bed. I will look at your list tomorrow. I found those little bugs under my leaf and got all stressed out. Not really but my neck is hurting from the cold I guess. I slept on a heating pad and it was better this morning but now all swollen and sore again. Talk to you all tomorrow and Wildflower please feel free to post more pics. I love all sorts of flowers. Night all.

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Threas: You have mail! Gloria

• oxmyx
    16 years ago

Places you can buy Persian Shield

Here is a link that might be useful: Dave's Garden

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info, Barry. How's by you (other than the mite menace)? Hope all is going well. You're sounding a leettle bit stressed :0)? gloria

• wildflower
    16 years ago

Sassy, I'm lovin that daylily!! Havn't seen that one before.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting