SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimmydoodle_gw

Mushrooms in my Miracle Gro

kimmydoodle
15 years ago

I have just noticed little mushrooms popping up all over my 2 CU FT bags of Miracle Gro Potting Mix that I have planted lettuce, mesclun and spinach in....I don't see 'ner a one in my radish bag that I planted the same way.

I placed the bags flat on stands,with metal grates underneath, cut out the tops of each bag, sprinkled the seeds all around, poked plenty of holes in the bottom for drainage, and they are all growing beautiful stands of greens. Except..............

...........yesterday, I started seeing tiny little mushrooms coming up all over the place, and did my best to get a couple of good pictures - sorry they are not more clear. They are tiny little things.

I'm just wondering if this is normal, since the MG has twigs and bark and such, and if the mushrooms are safe to eat in case I accidentally harvest any with the greens. I've already learned, thru this forum, how difficult mushroom ID can be.

I live in North Central Texas, and it has been quite humid here the last few days (it rained nicely yesterday evening!), and I had not seen these little boogers until yesterday. They seem to wither when the sun comes out and it approaches mid-day. Any advice will be well appreciated.

The concept:

{{gwi:602126}}

Now, the problem:

{{gwi:602127}}

And yes, I know I should thin things, but it's just so cool to see the little darlings grow! I can deal with that stuff. I'm just freaking about the mushrooms!

Any advice or comments will be well appreciated.

Comment

Sponsored