SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnorange_gw

Recycling Citrus Peels

johnorange
10 years ago

I'll share a few ways I am using the peels from my citrus (lemons in my case) and hopefully learn new ways some of you are using this oft discarded part of the fruits from our labors.

I spent some time last year trying to capture the essence of the peel from my Ponderosa lemons. If you read about the Ponderosa, it's actually a "citron". It has a really thick peel and the oils from it have a wonderful aroma. After juicing 20 or 30 of them, my kitchen and my hands smelled fantasitic! I thin-sliced the zest off a bunch of lemons before juicing and packed it into a quart jar with vodka. After a month or two the vodka had a nice lemon yellow color and a nice aroma but alas, I don't like alcohol.

I also put some of the thinly sliced zest in a quart jar of raw honey. I was afraid the moisture from the zest might ferment the honey but it didn't. It gave the honey a very nice hint of lemon and was good on toast.

There are some recipes out there for candied lemon peel. There are some differing opinions on whether to leave the white pith inside the peel. I think it probably depends on your variety. There is a good candied meyer lemon peel recipe out there and they recommend removing the white pith. The ponderosa recipe I used advised leaving the white pith. It turned out very tasty and it stores well in the freezer or in the fridge.

When all else fails, use the peels in your compost. Some say some compounds in citrus peels hurt compost, other say it's a myth. I noticed increased growth from my blueberry plants after discarding lemon peels around them.

Here is a recipe that has 1/3 cup of lemon zest...more zest than any other recipe I have found. I have tried the recipe and it's VERY good....like a very lemony pound cake.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-cake-recipe/index.html

How are you using the peels from your citrus? We can do a web search so try to share ways you have personal experience with.

Comments (15)