SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Giant Chainfern - Spring 2009 re-pot (pics)

Howdy, folks!

I thought that some of you might be interested in my on-going project with this Giant Chainfern. Woodwardia fimbriata is my favorite native fern, and probably my favorite fern overall. The subject of our discussion:

{{gwi:599263}}

As of last year, this fern had cracked its pot, so I knew I'd have to do something with it before the unfurling of the fronds this spring (in-ground Woodwardias are already unfurling!). A few weeks ago, I picked up a small half-barrel, and yesterday I had the chance to mix up a batch of potting medium. My mix was made from pine bark mulch, large-sized perlite, screened pine/fir bark fines, pumice, and some charcoal. Because this is a gritty mix, I added the screened pine/fir bark fines for moisture retention (instead of peat-moss). I also added a small amount of Osmocote fertilizer. Then I watered and rinsed the mix in the sun, and allowed it to sit overnight.

This morning, I removed the fern from its pot and evaluated the roots.

Back when I first potted the fern, I was working under the false assumption that large rocks in the bottom of the container would increase drainage. I had also incorporated "packing peanuts" to lighten the container. Anyhow, I removed the rocks, then I sliced away the bottom of the root-ball. I trimmed up the sides of the root-ball, too, then I centered the fern in its planter and added in the new mix.

On with the pictorial Â

Here are various shots of the fern, the crown, the new mix and barrel, the re-potted fern in my wheelbarrow, and the fern back on the front deck (where it spends the year). I donÂt plan on keeping the fern in this barrel for more than two years, but I still lined the barrel with plastic to keep the roots moist and to keep the barrel from collapsing prematurely. I hope these pics are helpful and enjoyable!

Josh

{{gwi:599265}}

{{gwi:599267}}

{{gwi:599269}}

{{gwi:599271}}

{{gwi:9844}}

{{gwi:599274}}

{{gwi:599280}}

{{gwi:599282}}

{{gwi:599284}}

{{gwi:599285}}

{{gwi:599287}}