SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
windy3sheets

repotting from a small chc mix to large chc mix

windy3sheets
12 years ago

Last year I posted my first questions about my three little citrus trees I purchased via mail order. They started out as little sticks, and promptly lost all their leaves. After replanting in CHC the trees really grew.

Well they've continued to grow with little help other than some water, periodic fertilizer and a little bit of osmocote every 4 months. I also dropped in a tad bit of sulfur to lower soil PH. I'd say the trees have grown about another 10-12" up and 6" out. They are all doing great, and my lemon is even having a second flower bloom.

It's definitely time for replanting, but I'm not entirely sure what to do. My Google-Fu says I'm to clean the roots, removing dead and diseased ones in the process. That's all well and good, but what do I do about roots that are growing into the old CHC. I'm thinking I should gently shake the plants, and leave the chips that are firmly attached to the roots alone. Basically, just clean the trees and drop it into a larger pot. Any ideas or experience with this?

Comments (4)