SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lcadena

Blood Meal-Is It Safe To Use?

lcadena
9 years ago

Hi All:
As usual, I'm having a problem with all the squirrels on my street, in the trees, on the ground etc. Next time I hear anyone guffaw about how cute squirrels are, I might have to strangle them!

Anyway, they are at it again. Every day I find one of my plants out of the pot, on the ground, from some squirrel who has hid his or her nuts! (Okay, no jokes!). I have several pots and most of them have more than one plant In the pot. I recently repotted almost all of my plants and found several nuts in the bottoms of many of the pots. Do they even remember which pot they hid their nut in? They are getting so brazen and are even trying to do it when I'm a few feet away.

I have tried everything and have read lots of articles on how to keep them away, to no avail. Many of the pots have rocks on the top of the soil. However, I worry if the plants may need more room to keep growing. They seem to leave the cacti alone, but not always. It depends on if they can find a space between two or more in the same pot. I recently started decorating my pots a little, for example, I've stuck in some twigs or branches. I read that squirrels do not like Blood Meal (nitrogen fertilizer), so I purchased some but have not used it.
Does anyone know if I sprinkle it on the top of the soil, will the nitrogen hurt the cactus or succulents? I'm at my wits end! Here's a picture of one of my creative ideas. As always, thanks.

Comments (4)