SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katwomn59

CHC help

katwomn59
18 years ago

I am interested in trying coconut husk chips. (Lisa, I saw your post on the container gardening forum) I have a kaffir lime tree and several perrenial herbs that like fairly dry well drained soil. I am using a predominantly pine bark mix, but with my herbs the rewetting problem is a headache. I tried to find some CHC locally, but was told that they dont stock them because people had too many problems with the salt issue. I have read about differences in quality from various sources and have read posts recommending Crystal Co and another online source and am thinking about ordering one or 2 bricks to try on one perrenial first. If it does well, I will eventually repot my kaffir lime. I want to make sure I get it right before risking it!

So I would like some help and guidance about preparing the chips. I figure the people who had problems with the salt maybe didnt prepare the chips properly. With so many people on this forum singing their praises, I know that they must work if you can get the salt out.

So I would like to know how y'all prepare your chips? How many times do you wash them? HOW do you wash them? Do you soak them in multiple changes of water then rinse and drain, or do you run water over them continuously? I should mention that I live in an apartment with a balcony and dont have access to a hose right now. Any washing will involve a bucket in the bathtub.

I also noticed that some people add some peat to the mixture. I was given a sample bag of coco peat and am interested in using it instead of peat. Is there any reason people dont use it in their mixes? Seems like they would work well together.

Hope y'all can help me,

Lydia

Comments (32)