SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenmikey

Beauty of Fall: Stapelia gigantea bloom

greenmikey
10 years ago

Recently I was privileged to visit Glasshouse Works. Driving up it just seemed like big house nestled in the town. Despite the sign out front my girlfriend and I walked up to the porch with reservation. With the vast amount of plants on their (cluttered) website I figured this property could not house all those plants. Immediately after getting to the doorway we were greeted by the staff. Ken briskly showed us all the areas where the plants could be found. I apologize to Ken as I didn't hear everything he had to say as I was soaking up the wonderful density of plants. I can't be sure how long we poked around trying to see every plant but there was no chance of doing that. We talked with the staff, pet the cats, and wondered when we could come back.

Upon getting home I didn't think I got enough plants but I knew I didn't have enough pots. However, I made this post to talk about one I was just pleased as punch with, Stapelia gigantea! Upon repotting I read that it didn't like being moved after it had already formed a bud. All I could do was hope. The bud continued gaining size/weight but I was afraid it was going to die off. I was wrong! Today after watering/fertilizing it started opening. WIthin a few hours I was given my first Stapelia bloom.

I took a few photos but then I couldn't stop. I like the idea that this bloom took up nearly the same mass as the plant. I linked the whole album for anyone to check out. Sorry about the repetition but I couldn't help myself.

Click for stapelia Pics.
{{gwi:651123}}

This post was edited by greenmikey on Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 10:12

Comments (19)