SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
incunable1453

Citrus in the City (Boston, to be exact)

incunable1453
11 years ago

Dear All,

I was wondering if I could ask for your collective wisdom. My mother ordered me a dwarf Meyer lemon tree from Four Winds Growers for my birthday this week, and it should arrive late this week. I'm terribly excited and eager to learn, but after about ten hours of reading this forum, I'm starting to wonder if this was a wise choice.

Unfortunately I'm a grad student living in Boston with no car and a small (but very sunny!) studio. Everything I buy has to be accessed and brought home via the bus and then stored in the corner of my microscopic kitchen. There will be a time later in my life when I can throw myself into being a great gardener, and I'm looking forward to learning through a combination of this fora and trial and error, but for right now I just want to keep my plant alive and fairly healthy.

Finding the ingridents for Al's Gritty mix seems neigh impossible, and I've been making calls about finding the proper mulch for the 511 and am getting comments like "I don't think that exists." I've thought about asking my family in Illinois to collect the ingredients for the Gritty mix and then send it to me, but even if they're willing it won't be here before my tree arrives either Thursday or Friday. Any thoughts on how to go about this from people who know the area? Would it be better to return it or give it to someone who can care for it better, or are there "good enough" options that can help me limp through for a few years?

Thanks so much for your help. I've learned a lot from you already as a lurker, and now have extensive notes for taking care of my new tree once I get the potting medium all sorted out.

Cheers,

Incunable

Comments (10)