SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

Maeve's vocabulary

plantmaven
14 years ago

Finally she "gets" go peepee and potty. We have accidents in the house, still, but mostly that is my lack of attention.

She runs to the door to be let out.

She understands "outside"and "in". but only does "in" if she wants to do so. Come is our next goal.

Now that we have had a few nice days, she knows when the sun is shining she can go out. I have seen her go look out the french doors. She likes to play and lay in the sun.

{{gwi:597808}}

I bunched up a rug to make a tunnel and she has learned to go get a toy in the tunnel.

{{gwi:597809}}

When she is out and wants to take a nap, she comes to my chair and makes a half whine and half growl sound. As soon as I pick her up she curls against my left arm and tucks her nose under my elbow and goes to sleep. Sort of like a baby chicken under mama's wing.

If anyone can think of any other games like that to get her to "work", please let me know.

Here she has her teeth locked on Fancy's tail.

{{gwi:597810}}

Comments (14)

• todancewithwolves
    14 years ago

What a cutie pie. Love the little butt in the air picture.

Ed-

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you dogmother.
    Did you notice her butt is tricolored?

• lorna-organic
    14 years ago

I taught a Sam "show me". It proved to be a very valuable skill. When he was young and I wondered what he had in his mouth, "show me" meant he should bring it to me so I could determine if he could have it. He developed the habit of showing me almost everything he was interested in. If he wanted to eat windfalls, he would bring one to me by way of asking could he have it. (Sometimes he would eat a few before he brought one to me!) When he found a baby robin, he showed it to me (without having harmed it).

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

The butt in the air is so cute, with her pink skin showing. I also like the sweater that is covering her feet :) I bet she is giving poor Fancy a run for her money!

Show me is a very valuable skill. My cats all know this one as well, but cats don't always get close to what they want you to see - they think you are mind readers. However, they quickly learned I am the alpha female and need to know all. When someone throws up, they immediately show me if it's less than a day old (after that they forget!), food and water dishes, someone has a cut, had a fight, was bad. They also eventually learned to do some behavior or have some expression I could understand. It's amazing. Previous to this I had only trained dogs (and we trained them "show me").
    Other things, allowing you to pet them while they eat and praising them to do this - same with touching teeth or butt. I don't know how dogs socialize those behaviors (we just trained them to allow it) but cats socialize everything, and forcing submittable allowed them to see me as the Queen of the universe which is very helpful to teach cats to obey.
    Have you stared on "no" I'm sure you have with some things :) -is there something you don't want Maeve to touch, even if it's a "made up" reason, just to teach her no? That may get her to learn the word and meaning quickly.
    Then there are all the super fun things puppies like anyway, fetch (about half of our cats fetch), roll over etc.

I think you are doing so well so far!! It's cute she needs Mamma to put her to sleep. Chester still likes that too, at a year and a half. When can't wind down he comes to get put to sleep in my arms.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Today I was looking for her. We went all over the house looking for her. So I tried the spoon on the dish sound.
    Nothing...as I walked past the french doors, there she stood outside. She finally mastered going out the dog door, but not in. She has been watching the other dogs for a few days. She was glad to get in, as it was cool.

Today she has done well with "come".

Lorna & G, how do I teach her "show me"?

GGG, she has already out grown her cute sweater. We have a couple more that are too big for her.

• zigzag
    14 years ago

Not familiar w/'show me', but 'leave it' is well ingrained in my little beagle and has been from the start. 'Leave it' applies to both something of interest in her path and something she might have in her jaws - so far, it works.

Just a note - for us, NO means NEVER and should not be overused and impact diluted. I use other utterances ... off, away, eehhh, etc ...... to distract and redirect when NO/(never) isn't applicable. End result is that when I emphatically say NO, it is respected.

I use 'here' (with a pat on a surface or finger point) rather than 'come' - just personal style and it works for us.

My Katie is an only dog, so has no role models. In and out of the dog door was accomplished w/two people - one one each side - and lots of treats, but was a fast learned art (like about 20 minutes!). Now she's a real, fast and loose threat to wayward squirrels in the backyard.

Since Katie was home raised w/children before she came home w/me, she already had the 'fetch and return' down pat. I love your rug tunnel play, never thought of that myself! On another purely play note, Katie is a definite AFV winning contender for her gymnastics chasing a laser spot around my house - just need a good videographer! Fun w/puppies stuff is just soooo fun!

Back to a serious note, way back when, when taking my former beagle (Ziggy) thru obedience classes, best lesson we both learned was the life saving 'drop on command' "DOWN" - an automatic down/stay maneuver. That lesson literally saved Ziggy more than once when she broke leash and hightailed it. Katie is pretty good w/that now, but still needs work (she's such a princess!).

Maeve is sooooo very cute and so lucky to have you for a Mom and lots of siblings! Carry on - :o)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    14 years ago

Naaawwwwww....what a cutie!!! She is lovely, and smart, to boot!! When Midnight was a kitten, we played peek-a-boo. We both loved it, in the apartment. I did it the way you would with a wee babe, using my arm. I had a microwave cart with European-type hinges. Midnight would go in there, and wait for me to say, "Peek-a-Boo", he would poke his little head out, and once I had said it, pop back in!!!! Too cute for words. He was always too smart by half. When I moved into my first cottage, I wanted to keep him indoors, and away from the bad world. Yeah, right!!! First am, he had slid every screen window open, and been in and out several times. He hid under my bed for 48 hours. He continued his Peek-a-Boo for several years, after he learned about the world. It was a good way to get him out from his shy, hidey-hole, sometimes. I have a great pic, must find it!!

Nancy.

• zigzag
    14 years ago

An aside (ok, so I just want to keep hyping my dog!) - Katie was not quite as small as Maeve, but close - a whopping 2.5 lbs at nine weeks, topping out at a consistant 10.5 lbs from six months on (very small for a beagle) almost to the present, she's now just over there years old. I take her in to the vets for regular nail clips (yes, I'm a failure, but it's a little field trip for us, she likes it and the staff loves her) and we get a weight check too.

Anyway, last spring/summer her weight was gradually declining, ultimately to a low of 9.8 lbs. She was energetic and very sleek, but I was concerned nonetheless. No change in feeding/eating, yet weight loss.

Light bulb moment hit me in late fall ......

Back last spring, I'd installed a dog door in the sunroom which gave her immediate, sprint access to the squirrels - she could race out to chase them w/out waiting for me to open the screen and let her out (I got to retire my 'canine conceirge' hat) and her activity level had increased exponetially. Ergo, increased exercise = a leaner beagle!

It's been a really cold winter this year, and my utilization of the sunroom and Katie's access to the dog door have both been severely compromised. And yep, you guessed it - today Katie weighed in at a whopping 11.3 lbs! She still looks sleek, but this is just not okay, we've got some work to do to shed that .8 of a pound!

Just another reason to appeal to the Spring Goddess to hurry up and get here! :o)

• zigzag
    14 years ago

I hate it when I post a bad typo - especially w/the proofread function .... grrrrr

Katie is nearly three years old now, not 'there' years old.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Not only is Maeve a little cutie pie she's one smart little cookie, she get's an "A" on her report card.

Annette

• lorna-organic
    14 years ago

I taught show me as a sort of fun/sharing activity. I used enthusiasm in my voice and actions, so that the dog would not be hesitant to show me.

If it was something the dog could have, I'd tell him he was a good boy as he approached, take the object, examine it and give it back to him, telling him "you can have it." If it was something he should not have, I still told him good boy as he approached to show me. Then I told him "mine," withdrew the object, and gave him something else to substitute usually a toy but sometimes a treat. Eventually if I told him "mine," I did not have to take it from him. He would lay it at my feet or in my lap.

"Drop it" or "spit it out" are also excellent commands. My dogs soon learn that if they don't spit something out on command, I will practically put my hand down their throat to make sure they don't swallow it. They'd much rather spit it out than have my hand invading their mouth/throat.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!
    She is still at the run stage if she has something and I approach her. Or will not come if she has something.
    She has now learned to go out and in the dog door. She loves being out if it is warm.

• mary_lu_gw
    14 years ago

She sure is a cutie! How's the training coming?

When we had three pups in the house at one time,and they were always underfoot, I taught them "beep beep". It meant get out of my way. It worked and I no longer tripped over/stepped on them. Worked great when they got older too and were 90 lb dogs!

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, she is pure joy.
    Now that the weather is warming up, the house training is going very well. Very few "accidents.
    Tueday she had her last booster. She weighs 3.63 lbs. She will be 4 months March 11th.

Sponsored