SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
plantmarker

Plant Markers For PlantMarker!

plantmarker
14 years ago

Hello Folks -

I am looking for recommendations for types and sources for plant markers for my garden. I am looking for markers that are tastefully designed and can easily be read after they've been stuck in the ground.

Thanks in advance!

PlantMarker

Comments (28)

• dcsteg
    14 years ago

Hi plantmarker,

As you are probably aware there are many options out there to accomplish what you want to do.

I will show you three plant labeling tags in the link.

The left and middle tags are acceptable for marking but not durable. Tags are aluminum and once damaged the tag will not stay in place. The right tag is made out of stainless steel and very durable and will not tarnish. A little pricey but bullet proof. This is the one I have been using for three years not without any problems.

If you want a lasting label that will not fade or deteriorate there is only one option. To print this label you will need to have access to a laser jet printer. The labeling stock is sold under the name: Avery clear mailing labels #5660. Using Word Document click tools and there is a format to print the Avery 5660 labels under letters & mailing/envelopes & labels.

Hope this information will help you. I am sure others will offer you other options also.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

hey

there are 3 issues .. as far as i am concerned ...

first... at the link... are the type of plant tag that i use on my hosta ... i use the E15 or E20 .... last a life time.. except for being stepped on ... etc ...

on my conifers .... i have a guy up near Saginaw MI who makes the best markers IMHO .... i don't know the current price... and i have no clue how far back shipping will set you .... but they are solid stainless steel .... if you are interested .. you would have to email thru GW and i will refer you to him .... here is a picture

{{gwi:642627}}

second .... i highly recommend that you think out your hobby .. and buy in bulk .... and NEVER buy them retail ....

third .. once you decide the marker .... you will need the label that goes on it ... i highly recommend a brothers P touch label maker ... i use TZ-121 black on clear UV resistant labels.. i have some going past 15 years.. that are just perfect ...

good luck
    ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Related Discussions

Would you be willing to share your favorite plant markers?

Q

Comments (9)
    I took the plunge (money-wise) years back and bought those nice markers, only to discover that in the winter my beds reminded me of little graveyards, lol! Now, being an, ahem, more experienced gardener, I do have more winter interest in my beds and therefore the markers wouldn't stand out so much, but I prefer to bury my markers anyway. I either bury the plant tag that comes with the plant, or, more often, I use a label maker and put a label on those little hard plastic tags. They are about 3 inches long, with a point, and about a half inch wide. When you buy them they come in little sheets that look like little picket fences, lol. I bury them shallowly next to the plant so they don't show, and if I need to remember a name I just dig around a bit to find the label. For temporary markers, I agree with rina - cut up blinds (get them for free on freecycle) or even the plastic milk jugs, which I use for winter sowing. After I plant out my seedlings, I cut the jugs in strips and write on them with a sharpie and there's my plant tag.
    ...See More

Plant markers

Q

Comments (0)
    Anyone here in the San Antonio area that have cool DIY garden/plant markers in your gardens? I'm writing an article and looking for folks to talk to. Thanks!
    ...See More

Plant markers - for Sylvia or anyone who is interested

Q

Comments (2)
    I love your signs and your system!
    ...See More

Best way to label plant markers??

Q

Comments (13)
    carbon has an half life of a couple million years ... if the plastic does not accept such.. use some sand paper to roughen the surface ... but the labels should be inserted so that the name is angled down.. so the elements dont physically wear it off ... inserting the marked part int he ground.. removes that insult.. but pulling thme in an out.. is like sand paper ... and can rub it off ... i also used to garbage pick mini blinds .... and make markers out of them ... but these days.. you can buy a small set at wallyworld for a few bucks ... and i have some marked with paint pens over 10 years old.. which simply brings me back to what plastic are you using ... could you snap a pic .. a total fail safe would be plastic knives with a scratch all ... cant see the name at distance.. but it will be there for thousands of years ... ken
    ...See More
    14 years ago

hey dave.... whats the source of the right one .. is it a secret.. lol

ken

• dcsteg
    14 years ago

Ken,

Check your email.

I am not trying to promote this marker but I will share their email address. Let me, if interested, and I will forward this info to you.

Dave

• plantmarker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ken -

What model number P-Touch do you have? I Googled it and it seems as if there are several different ones.

Where might be the the most economical place to purchase it from, including the TZ-121 and UV labels?

Thanks!

PlantMarker

14 years ago

buy the cheapest version you can buy .... i paid a lot for a bunch of bells and whistles I HAVE NEVER USED ....

only store local to me is staples ....

i paid near $100 bucks 15 years ago .. i think you can get one for $30 now ..

if you get that far .... there are a couple tricks to NOT WASTING the tape ... let me know when ...

mine is independent of the computer... and buy a plug adapter... or batteries will kill you ...

ken

14 years ago

100 markers for under $100 ... plus shipping.. which i bet is high .. since 100 would be heavy ... may as well admit it.. you WILL need 100 .. sooner or later.. lol ....

and they sell the P touch ... also for under $50 ...

thanks dave ...

ken

PS: i have never ordered from, nor have any interest in this provider .....

Here is a link that might be useful: go figure

• dcsteg
    14 years ago

"100 markers for under $100". Actually $72.00 for the 10 inch which is all you need.

So I have $150.00 markers. Not such a bad deal. No more replacing markers and labels because of cheap quality. I wish I had a dollar for everyone of those cheapies I through away.

If you are starting a garden give it some thought. Buy something substantial that will last especially if you are going to create a large garden.

My last thought is why would anybody want to deal with a label maker and all that tape when you can go to your computer and print off your labels in no time. So easy and convenient.

To each his/her own. I have been there and done that. Whatever trips your trigger....go for it.

Bottom line: Have fun.

Dave

• treelover3
    14 years ago

Hey guys, could both of you shoot me an email with the purchasing info for the labels? I have a P-Touch labeler and tape already.
    Thanks a bunch.
    Mike
    (p.s. I'll also send you an email though GW.)

• bunkers
    13 years ago

So this is probably dumb question, but if you have say (3) of the same tree ... do you just put a marker on (1) of them, or does is depend how close they are to each other?

• bunkers
    13 years ago

These look nice, but are they inferior to the stainless ones shown on the last link above?

Here is a link that might be useful: copper plant markers on ebay

• barbaraincalif
    13 years ago

Just a thought...would the oxidation of copper keep the label from sticking well? Otherwise, they are very good looking!

Barbara

13 years ago

hey bunky ...

seriously... a year old post ... why not a new one???

unless you are some registered arboretum ... you dont need any labels ...

the key is... 2 keys ..

can you name every conifer in your yard.... if you can.. what do you need labels for???? in the alternative.. 20 years from now.. will you still remember???

second.. who is coming over who will care ... if i have the american conifer society over... on 5 acres... to view 500 conifers .... some peeps will go off on their own.. and labels would come in handy ...

the kids friends.. and most relatives.. really dont care ...

but.. the older i get.. and the bigger the collection gets ... the happier i am .. that i invested in labels ...

ken

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    13 years ago

I've used those copper ones Bunkers link to and DID NOT CARE FOR THEM. Oxidation wasn't much of a problem, they just became unreadable after a couple seasons. Replaced them all.

• bunkers
    13 years ago

Ken, I'm confused ... first you tell me why on earth does anyone need these ... then end with how happy you are to have them.

I think I could name them, but I tend to forget them and think I enjoy having the labels to help me remember.

Also, if I put the latin names on the labels, it would help me become familier with them.

I am no way in the same category as most of you, but compared to most people in my neighborhood, I am a diehard.

I think some people would be interested, but not many. Ever house I have ever owned, I wished that had labeled the items so I would have known what was what and how to care for them.

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

In my opinion one of the poorest plant marker on the market.

Over time becomes unstable with tag not staying in crimped position.

I have experimented with many plant marking labels. The stainless is a tag it one time and forget about it plant marker. No more wasted time and money replacing junk plant markers.

Problem solved.

Dave

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

What are the stainless steel labels talked about in the posts from last year. The links are broken, so I can't tell what they were like.

Ken, what type of markers do you have?

I still have yet to find the perfect marker. One garden near here has some anodized aluminum markers that look like they probably cost about $20 to $30 each, but I don't know where they got them from. They do look impressive!

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

brandon7...here's your link you requested.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Stainless plant markers

13 years ago

brandon.. you should be able to see what i use in conifers.. in any of my conifer posts ...

what i use in the hosta beds ... i order from www.eonindustries.com .... just got an order of 500 for xmas ... for the big hosta show in june ...

i confused you??? didnt mean to do that ...

you can make a garden map for about a nickel .. and hang it on a clip board in the garage ...

BTW.. i also use tags .... a gum shaped piece of alum that i inscribe with a pen which are attached with copper wire ...... which i hang on the north side of the plant ... nothing like double protection ... i always worried the kids would pull all my labels out .. to help me one day ..

link below .... much less obtrusive ....

check out this site .... there are options ... i tell you ...

sounds like a great project bunky .. knock yourself out ... let me know if i can be of any further assistence ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: number 2729 with wires attached

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Ken, I see 'em, but where'd ya get 'em?

• bunkers
    13 years ago

Ken,

My only problem is how arrogant you sound in this thread towards me. I am getting good answers from others (as usual), and nobody has helped me more than you ... but I don't appreciate the rude remarks.

So since bunky only has 45-50 conifers ... whats the point? Thats the message I'm receiving.

I kind of get the feeling I'm not good enough to talk with the elites, but nobody here normally talks down to me in this way.

Let me share a secret about me ... I'm into Christmas Lights ... the kind you control with a computer and people come in their cars and watch. I have 10's of thousands of lights and a FM radio station and a 9' rooftop star and 25' megatrees ... but I would never tell someone "why bother" just because you only have 5 strings of lights on your house, or a single tree with lights on it.

Maybe I'm just cranky? Sorry.

Scott

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

Scott,

If you only had 1 or 200 conifers it doesn't matter. The point is to find the best plant marker out there that happens to be trouble free and will still be there long after the plant dies. That has happened to me numerous times. I then pull it up stick a new name on it and away we go. We all have different opinions. You need to decide what works best for you. I think you have enough to go on. I am sure Ken only has your best interests in mind. Opinionated for sure, but aside from that a good resource for valuable information. By the way I am opinionated also.

"So since bunky only has 45-50 conifers"

If you have that many then putting the correct name on a marker is a must. A conifer collector you have become.

Most people that would take time to look at 50 different conifers have more then a occasional interest. Having a name on them will relieve you of the embarrassment of not knowing what you are growing. I still on occasion have to look at the tag to give correct information to the person that is interested. No big deal...who could remember all those Latin pronunciations any way.

"I kind of get the feeling I'm not good enough to talk with the elites, but nobody here normally talks down to me in this way."

There are a few elites on this forum and rightly so. Its easily to separate the ones that are in the know from those that think they are. I have been helped numerous times by those in the know.

Straighten those feathers back up and keep on posting. We enjoy your comments and the photos of your conifers.

Dave

• in ny zone5
    13 years ago

I have no markers on anything in my yard, have around 70 conifers, should have labeled them, but remembered most latin names.

I liked Ken's comment about that list "in the garage", had made one myself on EXCEL identifying locations on my 1/2 acre via a grid. I could not find all the old labels with which the conifers came, had collected them in a 'safe' place, but finally made a list with not only the correct latin names, but also the to expect mature sizes, etc.

I might get into labels, when time permits. Does any of you have kids who love to exchange labels when you do not look?

Bernd

• bunkers
    13 years ago

Thanks Dave.

I think I'll get a pack of those stainless markers you linked to.

I know Ken only means to help ... and appreciate the various opinions ... were all opinionated.

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

I have done up several hundred of the stainless steel labels now and though it has been a huge task - along with the massive new beds, paths, bridges, dry creeks, etc. - it was well worth the time and money. I have several hundred conifers and Japanese maples and I felt it was important to know which was which. Afterall, down the road perhaps collectors and small businesses will want to take graft wood from some of my plants - and they surely won't be as interested if they don't know what plant they are receiving.

To answer an earlier question also, for 'repeat' conifers, at least in my yard - if they are VERY distinct(ie. Picea abies 'Pendula/Inversa', Picea glauca var. albertina 'Conica'), I'll leave them unlabled, but small mini's that are similar I always label.

I am SUPER happy with how the 'kincaid' labels ultimately look. You'll see them from now on in any photos I post.

Will

13 years ago

hey bunks ..

i have gone out of my way to answer.. at length .. everything you have ever posted...

i presumed you knew my cadence.. and sense of humor???? AT NO TIME DO I GO OUT OF MY WAY TO IRRITATE PEEPS ... how it is read.. is always another issue ...

you NEED no labels ... short answer

if you want labels... there is a world of options ... from maps.. to in ground.. to attached to the tree ...

good luck

ken

• plantmarker
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad I could start a thread that'a now had almost one year of interest!

Wow!!

PlantMarker

• kmanzfive laknee
    13 years ago

dcsteg ! What a great recommendation. Ordered the stainless steel plant markers on Sunday and received them today and I have to say what a difference from the run of the mill galvanized ones that I have used in the past. A much more heavier duty marker that will never tarnish. What a great source and Thank You ! 100 markers for 81.00 including shipping and they are stainless ! WOW !

Sponsored
POTOMAC KITCHEN AND BATH LLC
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Loudoun and Fairfax County's Expert in Kitchen and Bath Remodeling