SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kasha77

check these brugs trees out!

kasha77
14 years ago

Hi Gang!

Just got back from Becky's- here's a photo of her in front of her brug trees! I had to put her in there to give you an idea of the size of these things! She has yellows- & pinks- awesome fragrance- these are the parent trees to my plants that I am offering this year- I felt like a little child looking up into them! They are 3-4 yrs old- obviously, she leaves them in the ground year round! What a fantastic fragrance- even this morning! Can't wait til mine are this big!

Enjoy!

kasha77

{{gwi:441886}}

{{gwi:441888}}

{{gwi:583329}}

{{gwi:441892}}

{{gwi:441890}}

{{gwi:583330}}

Comments (42)

• knotz
    14 years ago

Wow...That is AMAZING!!!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

Wow, those are huge! Just spectacular!

Pam

• Related Discussions

Checking in...........................Brug seed update

Q

Comments (11)
    Brenda, Happy New Year! So happy to hear that your finger is healing nicely. I hope the 30 days go by quickly for you. Hey, we all (well some of us) make typos and we don't even have an injured finger, LOL! As you head into tax season, I wish you great success so you will be able to vacation afterward :-) That kind of heat wave (40s) would freeze me up like a popsicle!
    ...See More

Check out these cuttings! and fall photos of my yard

Q

Comments (4)
    Patsey you're welcome! I don't know why my photos won't enlarge, I'll have to ask my daughter, the brainy computer kid! kasha77
    ...See More

Check these brugs out (ebay)

Q

Comments (7)
    yeah the Herbstgold is great but I'm a sucker for pinks and've gotta vote for Rosenwalz....wow, but I've got a lot of brugs to get yet at regular prices and trades. Or of course, there's my impending powerball sucess 8-))) Will
    ...See More

Is my Seven Son tree checking out?

Q

Comments (18)
    That looks like a canker at the base; the ants probably came in after the fact. Heptacodium is susceptible to a canker disease (don't know if the disease agent has been positively identified) which is normally not too serious (at least here in our region, but I've heard the disease can be serious farther south). Just about every year my Heptacodium develops minor cankers on some of the smaller limbs, but it's generally insignificant and I've never considered removing the whole tree. I would cut yours at ground level any time after leaf drop and dispose of it (preferably by burning) to minimize the chance of reinfection of the new growth. I would expect it to resprout and grow vigorously next year, hopefully canker-free.
    ...See More
  • givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

I am amazed. How is that size possible if she leaves them in the ground and they got to die back. Ok I am back to leaving mine in the ground lol

Lucy

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Amazing, looks like the jungles of Brugmansia! So many blooms as well.

• haase
    14 years ago

No way that mine will ever grow that big. The poor thing is in a pot. - On the other hand, if it did grow that big, where would I put my patio furniture?
    Amazing!!
    Thanks for sharing. - Ingrid.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lucy- we cut ours down to 6 inches every fall just before the hard freeze, but they quickly put on tall growth come spring. I am amazed that you'd dig them up every year. I'd LOVE to live in zone 8! Almost tropical! We are only 7b- you should try it, I'm sure that you'd do much better than us!
    hugs~
    Glad everyone else like the photos!
    kasha77

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Kasha thanks. IF I would end up with the brugs growing in the RIGHT PLACE...I would leave them in. But I do so much wrong placement of them...that I have to re arrange. But I am scared to loose them. But I think after the 1st winter with them inground and coming back...that fear should be gone. Right?

Lucy

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

Hey Kasha77! That gives me hope cutting more brugs today. (yours hopefully mailed tomorrow)
    Will email you later
    Most of mine will stay in the ground! No room in the GH for everything LOL
    Those brugs are beautiful!
    Hugs
    Dorothy

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Lucy- You're funny! You are like me- I move my plants around the yard like furniture in my living room! But let them get established in one spot in summer- don't move them now- wait til spring! They need to be established to go through the winter! What is your coldest temps there? I think ours might be like 10* F. I will mulch mine when really cold weather hits...Don't be afraid! You will do great!
    hugs~
    kasha77

Dorothy- You should do fantastic too! Zone 8! I have zone envy! Can't wait for your package to arrive! thanks! Yippee!~

• tommysmommy
    14 years ago

I stand in awe! Those are as big as a spruce tree! I'd love to be strolling by and inhaling the fragrance.
    Diane

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is intoxicating- even at 9 am!
    kasha77

• wickedwickedwitch
    14 years ago

That is awesome. I want to decorate with brugs.

• fortunegardener
    14 years ago

Those trees are huge! Is this in California?

I live in DFW area and have about 15 brugs. They are also blooming beautifuly now - especially this fall. I normally cut them back after freeze, and they grow back in the spring quickly. I also moved roots around in the spring before new shoots were out; they made it and are blooming just the same. I had them in pots and move into the house before, but decided that was too much work. They do not get as big as staying in the ground.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fortunegardener- No- I wish! We are in North Carolina, in the Piedmont-
    kasha77

• diane_v_44
    14 years ago

Have never seen Brugmansia pictures I have enjoyed more

Thanks ever so
    Not been on this forum so much lately, have been missing a lot, it seems.

Are those pictures fairly recent.

The fragrance, would bu ever so much

Wish I where there

Diane

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Diane-
    Welcome back! Yes these photos are recent- I just took them this past Mon. I have cuttings of those trees- if interested, give me a holler!
    Kathy kasha77

• rigo74
    14 years ago

I will be leaving 2 brugs in the ground this year for the first time and will see what happens, kind of nervous plus scared to lose them but going to jump in and give it a try.

Rigo

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

Those are beautiful! I don't have quite as many stalks as that but they get more each year. Lucy this is year two for my inground ones. You need to come over and see them. They got huge. Much better in the ground than in pots. I will put some of the doubles in large pots but as soon as possible next year as many as I can fit are going in the ground. To give them all such large pots takes up too much space. IN the ground they will go whooopiiiie!

• token28001
    14 years ago

Kasha, I got phenomenal growth from the three cuttings I got from you this past winter. I don't know what these are, but they get huge, quick. The largest one was over 8' across and 6' tall. I cut them down last week and mulched them heavily. Going to try "pinching" the new growth next year to see if I can force more stems. Incredible photos you have there. Wow.

The photos make them look smaller than they are. I had already taken several branches from each one, in case of an early frost. What you see below is what I took down last week. I got 40+ cuttings from these three plants.

{{gwi:583331}}

{{gwi:583332}}

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Token-
    Those are beautiful! I'm not sure if they are related to the ones I took pictures of above- do yours start out soft yellow & have an awesome fragrance? I think I just labeled yours as an orange noid- that's the way I got my cutting from my neighbors- the Hack sisters... My cuttings- like yours became trees very quickly- they overwinter beautifully- tough cutting them down though- loppers are almost too small to handle them! My biceps & hands are killing me from processing cuttings for postage & trades.. I had to lay off for a few days- mean while- my tree like branches are laying out in the rain- nubbies are forming as we speak! They'll probably be rooted by the time I get around to finishing all of them!
    best to you-
    kasha77

• token28001
    14 years ago

They do start out yellow and fade to orange. Next year, I'll be using a chainsaw on them. The loppers I had barely made it through the base cuttings.

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

wow Kasha those are FANTASTIC!

completely OT, I wanted to let you know that your package arrived!!! and everything looked great! (I am having email issues and haven't been able to send out any mail) But I wanted to let you know! cant wait to see these things growing and blooming next year!

Frances

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Frances-
    Great! Glad to hear it! Hope you'll get your email issue settled soon!
    hugs~
    Kathy kasha77

• lboyce
    14 years ago

HA! I have my nose pressed up against my monitor screen hoping I can get a whiff! I have never seen anything so tall but I'm here in New York state and have had my brugs in the basement for over a month now. I have to grow mine in pots. Makes me want to pack up and move south so I can put mine in the ground!!

Thank you so much for sharing!

Linda

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda- you are so funny! Whereabouts in NY? We're from Little Valley, down in the Southtowns south of Buffalo.. Do it- pack up & come here- that's what I did- been here going on 5 years & it was the best decision we ever made! I was in a tank top & shorts last week, before the rain... now we're building an Ark! Ha Ha!
    You're welcome!
    Kasha77

• wickedwickedwitch
    14 years ago

I like how wild and free the plants look.

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Kathy and Token, I would never guess or even speculate on a NOID without saying that that is all that I can do, but these are definately Charles Grimaldi (with Dr. Seuss's serarated leaves - some inherit Pink Frosty's leaves). I don't know which is the mother in these cases but that may be the only reason the leaves are different on the 2 Charles Grimaldi's. The tangerine oranging of their yellow flowers is distintly Charles Grimaldi to, as well as most of the trait you mentioned.

My Charles Grimaldi is a favored tree up here as it does grow so big in it's first year (as does Dr. Seuss who's flowers stay yellow) and a really good sized flush. So easy to keep over winter to. I can create a similiar effect as Kathy's friend Becky has done but I'd still have to take mine in for dormancy. I have 4 big root balls of CG for next year, one of which is the elder with triple main branches.

The problem with CG up here is by the time it's time to take it in it's first Y is very high and poses a problem for storage in an 8' high basement. I have one with the Y I hope will make it for next year. I've also kept a lot of Y's (including 4 big ones) of it wrapped in that Debbie Meyer's wrap for a few months of dormant storage. So far, so good, no moisture developing in the bags. This means it's cold enough where they are for dormancy (there ends should be dried out but I don't think I did)- these cuttings have aerial nubbies throughout their whole length -no green without nubbies allowed for me (I believe the moisture would be lost out of 'too green' cutting causing condensation in the bags too easily). Charlie provides PLENTY of ripe mature branches and hefty root balls to work with and I know I'll have my beautiful spicy cinnamony sweet smelling Charles around till I die...lol.

Thanks for sharing -Sandy

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

Oh, my!

I planted my first brug last year. I also leave it in the ground. Will mine get that big?! If so, I need to move it!

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

rofl holleygarden. Wait to move it until spring! Unless you dig it out...let it go dormant inside and then plant it in a better place. But it always depends on what the Brug is too. The location...sunny...not so sunny etc etc.

I just dug up all my seedlings and little plants that did not grow much this year. 39 so far. I guess I do not have that many after all.

But the blooming and big ones are still in the ground and that does not include the ones that were in pots already.

Lucy

• lboyce
    14 years ago

kasha....ohhhh...it's WAY to cold up there where you are. I thought it was cold here but no comparison...plus you get all the lake effect snow, right? I'm in the Catskill Mtns...actually I'm in Liberty...about almost 2 hours south of Binghamton. You really DO like it up there? I know several people in this area that are moving up there where you are. I must be missing something??? Let me tell you something....if I can get just ONE of my brugs to grow like that...I'm on my way!! I've had all my brugs in the basement for about two months now. I miss them so I go down there every day just to say hello.

Linda

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Linda- Oh- I'm sorry- we USED to live in NY - we have spent the last 4 years down in North Carolina! I'd NEVER move back! Those brugs are down here in zone 7b- I really don't know if they'd make it that big up there- I didn't know about them til I came down here!
    kasha77

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Kasha, I just looked at the picture again.
    I not only saw that there are like more plants planted on the lil hill.

But I figure out WHY they are growing so huge.

THEY ARE TAPING INTO THE ELECTRICITY! I mean look at it...the pole is right next to them roflmao

Lucy

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lucy! LOL! Leave it up to you!
    Ha HA HA!
    kasha77

• lboyce
    14 years ago

kasha...sorry about the mix up...hadn't had my PM coffee. I would absolutely LOVE to move to NC....perfect brug growing weather. Heard the humidity is on the heavy side down there tho?? In a heartbeat I would be GONE from NY! I'm so envious of you!!

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda-
    After what we lived with back home in NY, (up to 4 feet of snow at a time) the humidity isn't bad! I worked out in the heat all summer. You just move a little slower! There was actually a nice continuous breeze too! I don't miss NY at all...
    Linda..... COME ON DOWN! :)
    kasha77

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Beautiful!
    Ours all grow in the ground but we are warmer than most of you, zone 9b leaning towards 10. We lost a lot to Hurricane Ike, an amazing number did survive and we've planted a bunch since then. Most reach maximum height in 1-2 years. I've tried leaving them in pots but they just grow roots down & you can't move them so gave up. We lost a large hackberry and now the brugs get more sun, one that never bloomed in the past is on it's 5th or 6th flush this year, it had over 300 blooms each time! The branches were touching the ground they were so heavy from flowers, and the plant is about 8' tall. We are still amazed at that one.

Lucy, you should put one in the ground next spring & leave it to see what it does. I think you'll be delighted and you can always take cuttings in the fall if you're nervous.

Tally HO!

• texasfern
    14 years ago

That is brug heaven!
    I sure hope that I can find spots to put a couple in the yard.

• pearlgirl
    14 years ago

I have a yellow/orange that gets that large. It was planted out in my perennial area and, of course, the soil
    is much richer there. I've left some in the ground over the winter, however, they bloomed later and grew slower.
    There is a pink NOID that I grow also that gets HUGE. They
    do come back for me around here (outside of Danville) but
    they're much slower to bloom. I probably should feed them more.
    Kasha, those are beautiful plants!
    Margaret

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Margaret! Ya know- I think brugs like to bloom in the fall when the weather cools down- correct me if I'm wrong! Of course, I've never had them in pots, always in ground- so I don't know...
    Kasha77

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hi gang-
    Becky gave me all her brugs from this photo- anyone want some? contact me!
    kasha77

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Becky gave me these brugs- would anyone else want some? contact me!
    kasha77

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

I am interested and sent you an email!

Pam