SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Happy Sunday morning, Cottagers!! We have been getting a light drifting of snow since yesterday afternoon - just enough to cover up the dirty snow piles, so it looks nice outside!! About -10C which is about 20F, not too bad.

Well, he was born James Patrick Page, named for his father, in Middlesex England, 1944. He became a Guitar God in the 60's, and is considered the king of the power riff. His early influences, like many English musicians, was North American rockabilly. He became a go-to session musician in London, before being invited to join the Yardbirds - actually, he was invited 3 times. The first time he turned the offer down because it meant replacing his friend Eric Clapton; the second time, he didn't want to give up the lucrative session work he had, and suggested another friend, Jeff Beck. I guess the third time was the charm.
Page was self-taught, and unable to read music. He was considered so good, that even unable to read music, clients would simply ask him to do what he pleased. Page's studio gigs in 1964 included Marianne Faithfull's "As Tears Go By", The Nashville Teens' "Tobacco Road", The Rolling Stones' "Heart of Stone" (released on Metamorphosis), Van Morrison & Them's "Baby Please Don't Go" and "Here Comes the Night", Dave Berry's "The Crying Game" and "My Baby Left Me", Brenda Lee's "Is It True," and Petula Clark's "Downtown". Whew, lucrative indeed.
But he was storing up ideas, to create his own super-group. He had already tried with Beck, and Who members Keith Moon and John Entwistle. That went nowhere, for lack of a good vocalist, but it did birth the name 'Lead Zepplin', suggested by Entwistle, as in this will go over like a lead balloon!! After Page joined the Yardbirds in 1966, the bands fortunes waned, and he decided to completely reconfigure the band. To this end, Page recruited vocalist Robert Plant and drummer John Bonham and he was also contacted by John Paul Jones who asked to join. The rest is history.
So, on to my question - yes, there really is one in here!! Lol. We've established that Page was self-taught and innovative, but not completely without influence. Page sometimes plays his guitar with a cello bow, as on the live versions of the songs "Dazed and Confused" and "How Many More Times". This was a technique he developed during his session days. This idea came from the father of one of our beloved actors on North American TV. Didn't see that one coming did you? Or did you? Maybe you are ahead of me, as you often are - the son was a heart-throb in the 60's, and is one of the oldest working actors today. Father and son share the name - who am I looking for?

I'll of course be back with clues, if you smart guys need them!!

Nancy.

Comments (46)

• thinman
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OK, let's think.
    - Heart throb in the 60s
    - Still alive and working
    - Shares name with father

Will return.
    TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Excellent distillation of the material!!

Nancy.

• Related Discussions

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Q

Comments (18)
    I am going with reading but think any activity that puts one into another person's life helps to build empathy whether that is volunteering and interacting with others or more indirectly through reading and watching video or listening to information about someone's life. In college I read mostly Russian literature on my own. Don't remember how I got started but found the long complicated novels fascinating. And full of f character growth and description. Probably pure escapism. As a kid I read whatever I could get my hands on. Would go to our small library infrequently and read everything in one section before moving onto the next one. Also read my mom's romance books and true confession magazines as well as my dad's true crime mags. And of course, teen bop fan magazines that my sisters' bought. And...my teen uncle's hundreds of comic books.
    ...See More

Q

Comments (16)
    Well, four stars for Carolb and three for everyone else. Indeed, gypsy is the nickname for the Rompa. They were given that name because people thought they looked as though they were Egyptian even though they came to Europe from India in the 9th century. Here are the two best options for stars. First one is okay, but the second, well, hope everyone has a good sense of humor and gets the gypsy connection. Have a marvelous week. We got no snow over the weekend or this morning. I am hopeful, but not optimistic about our chances for tonight. ð© Cynthia
    ...See More

Q

Comments (24)
    I was completely surprised with the change as did not recieve any e-mails that it was coming. Think I got my sign in the way I want. Will spend some time exploring. Don't understand the need for followers and like buttons. Too online illiterate. Re trivia: Thanks for the question, Cynthia, and stars. I read Of Mice and Men long ago and have seen it done as a play numerous times.
    ...See More

Q

Comments (17)
    Nancy, I didn't think they reused songs on the series, except in the one flashback episode. Hmmm...Will wait to see what your answer is! Anyway, four stars (and one extra just because...) for all of you. Manutius did indeed create italics. He is also considered to be the father of the paperback book since he was the first to produce inexpensive books that could be carried easily. Nice job everyone. I wonder if TM is on his way to Florida. Hope so. It would be nice to get away from the cold for a bit! Manutius Have a wonderful week. I am home today because of ice. They could easily have gotten away with a two-hour delay, but I will take the day off with no complaints! Cynthia
    ...See More
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Will be thinking. Why can I not come up with the name of any heart throbs from the 60s? Banging my head.

Cynthia.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well Cyn, I think you need to open Channel D!!

Nancy - who is cuddling Pita like a baby.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Pita bit was not a clue!! btw...

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Ricky Nelson and Elvis are gone so it can't be them.
    Fabian - that probably wasn't even his real name.
    Bobby Vee - ditto
    Frankie Avalon - ditto
    Paul Anka ?

Who else?

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The son was not musical, at least not in his successful career. He has sung barbershop melodies on TV, though.....it was the son that was a heart throb. The father was the premier violinist of the London Philharmonic, and also did session work - probably how he and Page met!! The mother, btw, was a cellist!! Hmmmm....just trying to keep you from wavering.

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pretty awesome idea!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

This is so funny. All I can think of is Col. Klink whose father was a violinist and conductor, I believe. Definitely not a heart throb.

Let's see, Troy Donahue, ..ooh, wait..just thought of one. Did he use Jr as part of his name? Of course, I have no idea if he is still alive. Hmmm. Not so easy.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The son did NOT use Jr. in his name, as his fame superseded his father's, and the father took up the Sr. suffix!!

Hogan's Heroes is the right church, wrong pew.

Son was born in Glasgow - does that help?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Ah well was thinking of Efram Zimbalist, Jr even though he wasn't such a heart throb, either.
    Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey, cool - did not know that about Klemperer's father - I bet both Dad's worked together and traded stories about their more famous sons!!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Hmmm...someone in a WWII show?

• auntyara
    11 years ago

Hey I think I know this one. I'm probably wrong though.
    I never played with you all before cause half the time I have no Idea what your talking about.
    Did he star in spy movies?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, yes, but not in the 60's...I imagine the conversation between our proud Dad's might have gone along these lines: Werner's Dad would have said, well, my son foiled a big escape plot, and our heart throb's Dad would have said, yeah, well, my son yet again saved the world from sure annihilation!!!

You know, for a small cat, Pita is quite the bully. I wonder if it is possible for a female cat to have a Napoleon complex? Hmmmm.....

Nancy.

• auntyara
    11 years ago

ok I was wrong. I missed the tv actor part.
    my guess was Sean connery. back to thinking.
    OH I just got it!!!!
    I think.
    He's still doing an on and of role on a popular show. I dislike it myself, but have watched it. am I getting close?

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Oh darn after much brain storming I thought it might be E.Z. jr. too, oh well back to the think tank.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Auntyara - Welcome!! I missed you post last time!! And you may have it!! lol. He did star in UK movies about WW2 in the 60's. The TV series was his big break in the US. His role was definitely 2nd banana, but as they say, there are no small roles only small actors. He worked it into a starring vehicle for himself.

Just got back from walking downtown - you know, I could have sworn I saw a thrush.....is it too early?

Nancy, who is wondering where Annette is, and if TM has been captured by the Superbowl....

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annette - there you are!! He became the oldest male actor under contract in Hollywood last year - Betty White has him beat by several years.

I actually had a great walk, down near the canal. You know, the water stays open all year now, and many of the mallard ducks no longer migrate!! Amazes me every time.

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And now for a musical interlude!! - I love the guitar riff, and so cool now to know who originated it!!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tobacco Road

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And another!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here comes the Night - Them

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oh, Nancy, that last clue along with Auntyara's (welcome, so glad you have joined us for trivia) gave it to me. Have to say that it rather upsets me that he is the oldest. I guess he is a fair bit older than I, but still...

Feeling just ducky about this question now! I had given up hope. We are heading to a friend's house for the super bowl. We plan to make our great escape at halftime since it is a school night. Will check back later.

Auntyara, we do trivia on Saturdays and Sundays. Do join us. Only rule is no looking up the answers. We follow the clues and consult with friends/spouses sometimes. It is lots of fun-especially Nancy's on Sundays!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awww, Cyn, were you about to say Uncle? Yes, we were mere sprouts in the 60's - he was, and still is gorgeous, though!!

And Auntyara, Cyn is being kind - her clues are much better than mine!! lol.

Nancy.

• auntyara
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :)
    Ok now I'm really confused. I'm not sure if my 2nd guess is right and I'm confusing you all into thinking I got it.
    I barely remember the 60's. Born in 63. And not much of a tv watcher...unless of course it's a home and garden channel :)
    The show I'm thinking of is popular with teens and young adults. People my age usually find it aaah not exactly family entertainment.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Dang, I can picture his face but don't remember his name. Robert something, maybe?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, auntyara - they say if you remember the 60's, you weren't really 'there'. lol. My new favourite quote about age though, comes from Moody Blues drummer Graeme Edge, who on turning 70 gleefully said he'd lived through the 60's twice - love that.
    You were born a year before the first series aired. The new one has a heart throb of the 80's as it's hero, but he was elsewhere then. I'm not sure what the demographics of the new show, but it was voted America's favourite in 2011.
    I'm pretty sure Cyn has it now....where is everyone else? lol.

Nancy.

• auntyara
    11 years ago

AHahaha!
    I'm way off.
    I thought it was Adam West. I didn't think he was a heat throb but hey who knows what went on back then. He does play the mayor on "family guy". I doubt very much that was show of any year. lol
    New guess, does he do funny commercials now?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh so cold, auntyara!! Like those poor ducks....Mr. West was on a copy cat series!!
    Bobbie, you are thinking of yet another heart throb!!! lol. He and the son were in a WW2 series in the 70's. Ha, Robert character was based on a Canadian - I'm having way too much fun with this....this morning I thought it was a lame question and everyone would immediately guess. Mr. Waverly would not be impressed with your deductive skills.

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Holy cow! I just left for a little while and this topic exploded. So many posts to read and so little idea who the heck we are talking about.

I got started on my tax return today and when I came up for air it was dinnertime. I don't look forward to doing taxes, but once I start, I hate to stop because I don't want to lose my train of thought, short train though it is. Farm income and expenses, equipment depreciation, self-employment tax on the farm income, calculating the portion of social security that is taxable ... Ay caramba!

The fed part is done. State can wait until tommorrow.

So, back to you guys. I'm pretty hopelessly lost, I'm afraid.

TM

• thinman
    11 years ago

Wait. Is it R.V.?

• auntyara
    11 years ago

cold ducks, copy cats.....penguins, and ???
    Totally stumped.
    something to do with WW11, heart throbs from the 60's and 80's
    show from the 60's hmmm. Seriously loony toons, batman the flinstones.
    I should have kept my mouth shut when you all thought I had it. :)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol!! Cold War indeed. That was the milieu of the 60's show. Our hero had a blond beatle hair cut!! TM, RV plays a parental role on the new series, sometimes. Wow, I seriously thought this was too easy this am. The actor worked with RV on the British/American prison camp series in the 70's. I didn't watch TV in the 70's - too much Happening!!! so i missed this - must see if I can get back to it!! I think Bobbie was thinking of RV. Come on Annette, you must have had a crush on this guy too, back in the day!!! lol.

Nancy.

11 years ago

Nancy, did you sneak in another clue when you answered Cyn at 16:50 :).....and I caught yours too Cyn, soooo I'm pretty sure I know who it is now. The series he's in now wouldn't be the same without him.

Annette

• auntyara
    11 years ago

ok that rules out Maxwell Smart.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol -Annette - it's getting bad when we have to quote by posting times!!! And yes, it was another clue. Auntyara - you are oh so warm, same genre, less comedy, more tongue in cheek!!

TM, I have a song for you below!!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dazed and Confused - live and long!!

• auntyara
    11 years ago

Ok Thanks too the "timely" clue, I figured out the show. Too bad the only thing I can remember was the name of the show. And that it was opened so dramatically.
    Good game :)
    thanks for the fun!
    :) Laura

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

TM - dang - it's RV's partner!! I was thinking RW - confused yet??

Nancy - sorry.

11 years ago

Well it was 'Ducky' that did it for me, when going back through I picked up on several more like uncle, thrush, wavering for (Waverly???), cold war. Would never have got it without the clue, unfortunately when I get into a mind set it's hard to shake it LOL.

Annette

• thinman
    11 years ago

OK, got it now. If only I can come up with his name. Can think only of his character's name --- Ilya something I think.

Could he be a David something?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

What fun this one as been! Now that the Ravens seem to be losing their mojo, I do feel like crying uncle.

Annette, good job of listing all the clues. You forgot mallard, though. That was the one that gave it to me. I do watch the 'new' show-i like both of the older guys! Still cute after all these years.

Laura, it's not over yet. Wait until you see the stars!

Cynthia, who needs to go to bed since it s a school night. Darn, I really need to retire! Have a spectacular week all.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, of course, I was looking for David McCallum!!! David Keith McCallum, Jr. (born 19 September 1933) is a Scottish actor and musician. He is best known for his roles as Illya Kuryakin, a Russian-born secret agent, in the 1960s television series The Man from U.N.C.L.E., as interdimensional operative Steel in Sapphire & Steel )with Joanna Lumley), and for his current role as NCIS Medical Examiner, Dr. Donald "Ducky" Mallard in the series NCIS.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E, intended as a vehicle for Robert Vaughn, made McCallum into a sex symbol, his Beatle-style blond haircut providing a trendy contrast with Vaughn's traditional appearance. McCallum's role as the mysterious Russian agent Illya Kuryakin was originally conceived as a peripheral one. However, McCallum took the opportunity to construct a complex character whose appeal rested largely in what was shadowy and enigmatic about him. Kuryakin's popularity with the audience and Vaughn's and McCallum's on-screen chemistry were quickly recognised by the producers and McCallum was elevated to co-star status.
    Although the show aired at the height of the Cold War, McCallum's Russian alter-ego became a pop culture phenomenon. The actor was inundated with fan letters and a Beatles-like frenzy followed him everywhere he went.
    While playing Kuryakin, McCallum received more fan mail than any other actor in MGM's history. (Funny Cyn, we had a mind-meld again!)

William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy appeared together in a 1964 episode, "The Project Strigas Affair", a full two years before Star Trek aired for the first time. Shatner played a heroic civilian recruited for an U.N.C.L.E. mission, and Nimoy played a rival of the villain's henchman. The villain was portrayed by Werner Klemperer. James Doohan appeared in multiple episodes, each time as a different character.

Barbara Feldon (Agent 99) played an U.N.C.L.E. translator eager for field work in "The Never-Never Affair," one year before becoming one of the stars of the very different spy series Get Smart. Robert Culp (I Spy) played the villain in 1964's "The Shark Affair."
    Solo and Kuryakin, trained in martial arts, also had a range of useful spy equipment, including handheld satellite communicators to keep in contact with U.N.C.L.E. headquarters. A catchphrase often heard was "Open Channel D" when agents used their pocket radios; these were originally disguised as cigarette packs, later as cigarette cases, and still later as fountain pens. One of the original pen communicators now resides in the museum of the Central Intelligence Agency. The museum is not accessible to the public. Replicas have been made over the years for other displays, and this is the second-most-identifiable prop from the series.

In his 80th year, McCallum is the oldest actor under contract in Hollywood - got to say, I was worried we were losing him in the series cliff-hanger last year.

So, I believe everyone got it/him?? So,for everyone - Bobbie too??

Thanks for playing - see you all next week!!

This is too much fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQA-9LIS1es - Shatner and Nimoy on the Man from UNCLE.

Here is a link that might be useful: Theme and behind the scenes!!

• auntyara
    11 years ago

Very cool. Thanks to all the awesome clues I got the show right. ~Yeay me~.
    The real answer...nope but he was cute.
    thanks.
    :) Laura

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I don't deserve the stars because when I posted I was thinking of Robert Vaughn. I realized later that it had to be Illya because of the short clue and I known that DM is still acting but didn't remember the the show as it is not one I watch though I saw it once when I visited my sister as she is a big NCIS fan. But I didn't get back in time to post my new answer. Got distracted with by Shakespear and Downtown Abby.

I remember watching The Man from Uncle. David was cute and funny but I have always been attracted to black haired men (I blame all those hours reading my uncle's collection of Superman comics while visiting my Grandparents.) so RV was my favorite on that show.

And, yes, I married a tall black haired man with a great sense of humor. He laughs when I call him my Superman.

• thinman
    11 years ago

The name McCallum came to me as I was lying in bed last night waiting for sleep. Funny how the mind works - or doesn't.

Thanks, Nancy. This may be a record trivia in terms of posts - 44 so far including this one.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know - it did go crazy kinda, but I wanted to get all the clues in, and then of course, there was the music!! Hope you all enjoyed, although the extended version of Dazed and Confused might not be everyone's cup of tea!!If you did watch it, you saw him use the bow on it - I love to hear what his technique is, cause strings of a guitar are flat, while a violin or a cello have an arc to them. Also they are steel, and you can see how shredded the bow becomes!! Single use perhaps.
    Thanks again to all for playing!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

So much fun, Nancy! Yes, he sure was a cutie. Funny about the MGM link, too.

Have a terrific week. I am feeling a little "dazed and confused" myself tonight with all the work I need to do and which I am NOT doing (obviously-ha),

Smiling and waving,
    Cynthia

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022