SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

Sansevieria offset rotted in grit!

kwie2011
9 years ago

Yeah, I don't get it either. Maybe you can help me figure out what went wrong.

I started about 7 weeks ago with 4 Sansevieria trifisciata 'Bantel's Senstation' offsets all about 4" to 7" tall, and each with about 1" to 1-1/2" of rhizome.

I had the in a mix of about 70% pumice to 30% soil, but after several weeks, I found the tiny roots they'd had when I planted them were gone - maybe to rot, or maybe to drying before I planted them. There was absolutely no sign of softness in the rhizomes of any of them - so I moved them.

I planted 2 in plastic in almost pure pumice with only a tiny bit of soil.
I planted one in a 4" pot of 2 parts sifted 1/8"-1/4" pumice and 1 part equal sized grani-grit with some spider plant "pups" that were almost estsblished in the same pot.
The 4th I stuck in damp live Oregon moss in the top of a Syngonium.

The rhizome of the one in the grit with the spiders has completely rotted. These things have all been a pain in the grit or grit mixes because they constantly fall over or out of the pots. They aren't stable at all in grit. This one has fallen out probably 6-8 times. I just scrape out a hole and stick it back in. Today it fell out without its rhizome. The rhizome is squish.

The ones in the other substrates are okay, I think.

So, how'd it rot? There is no perched water or soil in that mix. It should have more than enough air circulation. The whole bottom of the pot is a lattice for draining. The water pours right through without the media retaining a measurable amount of it, but it must hold some because the spider pups are positively joyous in it. Maybe damage from always falling over somehow caused the rhizome to rot?

This was sort of an experiment to see if succulents really could be watered just as often in pure grit as I watered my tropicals in the same substrate. One plant doesn't provide enough data, but this hasn't inspired confidence.

Comments (6)