SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

for Steven....

User
16 years ago

"less lofty expressions " indeed!! My boys were learning those phrases first! We had all 3 kids there and put them in Dutch schools to begin with. That didn't work out as the oldest was in what they consider high school and he was trying to learn physics and biology and German from Dutch w/o knowing any Dutch at all. Since we knew we were only going to be there a year we quickly transferred all of them to British schools in Haren . They did well and made a lot of friends in the eclectic mix of "expats" that were there.

We made many trips throughout the Netherlands and Eastern and Western Europe and to England during our stay. The kids loved Drente and the hundebeds. We also took them several times to the zee-hond creche in Friesland. I still have one of the coffee mugs we bought for the fundraiser that was going on then. The mugs were full of mustard and depict a baby seal. The zee-honds got a kind of pox from the pollution in the sea. They also got tangled in the 6 pak plastic holders that were thrown into the water and fishing nets. We were so saddened by the fate of these babies . The kids were let to go into an off limits area since there were so few people there on one of the days we went. It was one of the most moving experiences we have ever had. We also went to Schiermonnikoog and I was lucky enough to get to do a wadlopen with a bunch of friends...think ultimate trail experience. You have to have a guide as the going is dangerous and the route changes with the tides etc. I agree about the language. Many of the grad students from Denmark said that the language was most like theres and they had no problem learning it. Many folks think it is like German but it really isn't at all. You are right in saying that every area has a different dialect! They really pride themselves on their distinctive lives and culture in each province. We loved the individuality and freedom of the people. My DH especially liked the ability to get around there since he doesn't drive and the shops were in every neighborhood.We had to get used to no shopping on Sunday and til noon on Monday except at the "Shell shop". We used to love the night shopping especially in Haren as they always had music etc. And the snoop shops...my kids were in heaven getting their twists of candy...patat frite...oliebollen at New Years...krumeltjes of stroopwafels (my DD still gets them when my DS and DIL are in Germany) . The kids loved it when the Kermis was there . I would expect them home from school and they would have stopped off and taken their sister with them on the bumper cars which were nothing like in the US. They went really fast and no boundries as to "killer instinct" of the drivers...LOL. The boys still laugh at how sister was wilder than they were. Then New Years Eve and the fireworks and bonfires and Lake Paterswolde and the wonderful boats and fireworks on midsummers eve....boy have you got me going down memory lane.

yes...we would have a wonderful time living next door...c

my klompen and DD's:

{{gwi:595365}}

{{gwi:595366}}

map of Groningen, a present from the Univeristy:

{{gwi:595368}}

wine glasses 1614-1989 celebration 375 years a gift also from the university:

{{gwi:595369}}

my speculaas molds:

{{gwi:595370}}

{{gwi:595371}}

zee hond mug: