SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ltecato

Trying to grow 'standard' P. afra

ltecato
15 years ago

Hi everyone. I've never had much luck in my attempts to grow a "standard" type topiary. This is the closest I've gotten so far. Originally this was a thin, straight branch on a big bushy plant at my mom's house. I cut it off and planted it in a different part of her yard, where it languished for a three or four years. Then I dug it up and put it in a pot.

I've been keeping it cut back for the past two years. I know it's not in correct proportions for the "rule of thirds" for standards. The trunk is so thin that I had to stake it up because I was afraid it would snap under the weight of the "canopy." Recently I've been letting the top grow, however, and it appears that the trunk has gotten thicker and stronger.

I need some outside opinions on whether I should keep growing it as a standard or perhaps cut it in the middle of the trunk and make two plants out of it.

The thing with P. afra, I've noticed, is the branches grow out at rather geeky angles. It looks like a plant made out of Tinker Toys sometimes. I'm not sure I'll ever get a nice round top on it.

{{gwi:643630}}

{{gwi:643631}}

{{gwi:643632}}

Comments (6)