SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwlolo

Best Clematis for SF bay area

gwlolo
10 years ago

I am looking for recommendations for clematis vines to plant in our new home. We live in SF bay area (peninsula). My only experience with Clematis is the Jackmanii, Montana and a texenis I planted in our old home that gave us years of joy. Now it is time to plant more in our new home.

Here are my initial thoughts. Please do suggest ideas for what will do well in my area. I am quite excited to be selecting new cleamatis to plant.

3-4 plants - Group 1 varieties that can grow through trees (Juniper and redwood in my case). I would prefer not to prune these and just let them do their thing. Foliage interest would be lovely. Fall blooming varieties would be great too.

5 Clematis to be planted with roses. I like the look of clematis with rose blooming at the same time as well as by itself.
My roses are :

Paul's Himalayan Musk - planted next to a mighty juniper. Would love a clematis that blooms at a different time. Perhaps a Montana?

Zepherine Drouhin growing on an arbor. Maybe 2 clematis vines on each side- one which blooms with Zepherine and another at a different time. Prefer a Type 3 that can be cut down after bloom every fall. Not too big as Zepherine is a delicate thornless climber.

Cl. Cecille Brunner growing on an arbor- Prefer a clematis that blooms at a different time. Preferably another type 3 that will not be too big as I don't want to add too much weight.

2 large flowered clematis that will do well in my area and blooms that are big bold and will stop you on your tracks. Definitely drama queens. I have a couple of stand alone strong trellis for these.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor