SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
partyprincess_gw

Citrus tree problems - fertilizer, pH, etc.

partyprincess
13 years ago

Hello all. I am new to the forum and new to growing citrus. My trees appear to be unhappy. I would appreciate any advice. Here are the facts on each tree:

Each tree is in a clay pot. The planting mix I used seems to drain well and is made up of Miracle Grow potting mix, perlite, pine bark chips and some sand. I don't know the exact measurements of each. I mixed up a huge batch and used it in all three pots. Today I did a soil test on them. I got the soil test kit at a hardware store. All were last watered on Wednesday - good drench - fast drainage. Potting mix is not soggy. Slightly damp a couple of inches down. Inserted dowel rod down to bottom - not too wet - damp. Lemon and Lime were repotted on Wednesday because I had them originally is just MG potting soil. The lime and lemon had nice white firm new roots. The orange tree had just been purchased that day and the roots looked good out of the store container. All are in full sun.

pH: 7

N: depleted

Phos: slight deficiency

Potash: adequate

Improved Meyer Lemon: purchased about 3 weeks ago. Leaves are yellowing - some from the tip, others are blotchy. There were some bugs on the underside of leaves and sooty mold. I washed each leaf and gently scrubbed with soft toothbrush - water with a few drops of dish soap. Leaves are not shiny. 11 lemons on tree and they seem to be doing OK. There is new growth and it has grown since I brought it home

Mexican Lime: purchased about 3 weeks ago. Some leaves on top were curly when I bought it. I honestly did not know what to look for when I bought it. Newer leaves are normal. 1 tiny lime that has doubled in size since purchased. There is new growth. I am not too worried about this guy but I would like to know what caused the curly leaves and how to fix/prevent that.

Satsuma Mandarin Orange: Purchased Wednesday. It looked perfect when I bought it- but it was nearly dark out so if there was any discoloration to the leaves I could not see it. In the last 24 hours 40 leaves have dropped off. The leaves are discolored-yellowing, some blotchy some veins are yellow

I would like to know:

What are your opinions as to problems with my trees?

What fertizer or additives or whatever should I buy to fix the deficiencies in my mix and how do I apply it?

Any advice for a newbie?

I don't know much about fertizers, what to look for, how to apply, etc.

Thank you so much for any input. I am going to try to load pictures now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of my citrus trees

Comments (8)