SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
pattioh_gw

January 2008, What's Happening????

PattiOH
14 years ago

Hi All,

I thought that perhaps some of you might be sufficiently recovered from the holidays to check in and let us know how things are going with you.

I seem to be having the longest cold in recorded history. I think it started around Halloween (well, ok, it was the week after New Years, but it sure as heck SEEMS longer!).

With the unpredictable winter weather,I've also had to be away from home a lot. Dickens, my cat, has been the bravest little soul, staying here alone for several days at a time. I leave him with the radio on and three litter boxes and multiple water and food stations and the old guy does quite well holding down the fort while I'm away at work. Once the nasty winter weather is past, I won't have to be away so much.

After a life of "daily drama", I'm grateful for my quiet, mundane days this past year. I have today off, so this afternoon I'm making time to sit in the comfy chair with the cat and the Bluestone catalog and chill out for a while, dreaming of spring. (Heads up! My catalog says the 20% off discount expires on Jan. 30th!)

Soooo, what's happening with you?

Patti

Comments (60)

• Steveningen
    14 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Atchoo!!!

Bless you, here's a hankie.

Sorry to hear some of you have been sick with colds. Not surprised to hear most of you are sick of winter and sifting through catalogs or checking for any little sign of spring.

Same here. Although my garden is resting comfortably, I am not. I'm ready to get planting, but it's just too early. I'm going to give it until early March. But that doesn't mean we've been idle, oh no. We have been planning the landscaping for our slope. Since this is going to be the most visible part of the garden to the street, it's important we get it right. The crumpled sketches that have ended up in the trash bin next to my desk number in the dozens. And the beat goes on.

Please don't hate me for saying this, but I can't believe the amount of bloom I still have in January. And I've just noticed in the last couple of days some bulb activity. It looks nothing like it's spring glory, still there are many things blooming out there. Including one last gasp from a hollyhock. This Illinois boy is constantly amazed by California.

Brian and I are also discussing a vacation in the spring. Cameron made me raise an eyebrow when she mentioned the south of France. Ooh la la. But I don't think I can get Brian to commit to Europe. His job is just too demanding right now. I'm trying to convince him on Washington D.C. I've never been and it bothers me. I want to see our nation's capitol. I know I could spend the entire time in the Smithsonian alone. Another option is the Grand Canyon, which Brian has never seen. I would insist on driving him further afield towards Monument Valley, which is one of the most stirring places I've ever visited. So the jury is still out.

I can't let it go without this being said, January has been a lot about politics for me. I don't bring this up to actually discuss politics,it's all good, but the process fascinates me to no end. I probably should have chosen political science as my pursuit, but I never had the constitution for it (hardee har har - okay bad joke). No matter which side of the aisle, I think it's a wonderful thing to be involved.

So that's my January bloviation.

Come on Spring!

Steven

• Eduarda
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear so many of you are experiencing colds. DH and I have so far managed to escape them, knock on wood, no doubt due to the mild Winter we are having. I also have sinus problems, so whenever I get a cold I feel miserable for days on end and usually have to resort to antibiotics to cure the sinus. So far, so good, let's hope it stays that way.

Not many news here, I'm afraid. DH and I were south in the Algarve last weekend just to check on things. The weather wasn't so wonderful but we still managed a long walk on the beach which was very reinvigorating. I love to walk on the beach in Winter days (and so does Timmy :-))

Other than that it's work, work, work. I haven't touched the garden in a long time. Hopefully this weekend I'll get around to prune the repeat blooming roses and the quince tree. I want to add a couple more evergreen shrubs to one side of the border, so time allowing I'll drop by the garden centre too. I also need to do some direct sowing to use up the damp weather we're having. We'll see how it goes.

I have been knitting a lot lately. Just about finished a scarf and I'm well advanced on another one that is more similar to a small cape. Knitting is such an enjoyable hobby, especially at Winter time, so Kent, do try and learn it, you're going to have a lot of fun.

Cameron, the Ce d'Azur in May is lovely. Don't miss Antibes and Juan Les Pins while there. A trip to Grasse, to see the perfum industry, is also a must. If I remember correctly, around the harbour in Nice there were quite a lot of good restaurants, with bouillabaisse a must! And of course you shouldn't miss a posh walk along the Promenade des Anglais, even though the beach is nothing but rocks (and thus innapropriate to be classified as a proper beach by countries favored with great beaches, such as Portugal :-))

Hope everyone recovers from their colds and various ailments and manages to skip through cold Winters like a breeze!

Eduarda

• Related Discussions

Quote for Friday, January 18, 2008

Q

Comments (12)
    LOLOL. I also hate freeways. Not just the interchanges but being the filling in a truck sandwich makes any trip on one unpleasant, and I'd rather be in the position of control (driver) than the passenger anyday. My family has a joke about my imaginary brake pedal on the passenger side. I actually enjoy driving, or used to very much. I could go from coast to coast easily if I would only use state routes where there is actually scenery and little twists and turns and stops and goes. I read an article once stating it was actually more dangerous to travel the backroads than the freeways, and I find that hard to believe, unless they were talking about the percentage of cars traveling it versus accidents. I also presume, like on the road in front or our property, many people who are used to driving in cities or on interstates don't quite "get it" that on a twisty winding counrty road, when they say watch out for deer, Amish buggies or ice on bridges, they really mean it. I guess fear is hardwired into the brain as a defense mechanism, and it's prolly a good thing. But, it does amaze me how we can have one frightening experience and then broaden it out to all sorts of situations linked to it, but having nothing to do with it. It's likely healthy to challenge those fears now and again, but sometimes it's hard to know what is a healthy fear and what isn't? I guess my criteria is does that fear hamper me from doing something I want to do? My claustrophobia and fear of heights almost stopped me from climbing the minster at york Cathedral. I only had four or five panic attacks on the way up, rofl, but boy was it worth it when I got to the top.
    ...See More

Quote for Monday, January 14, 2008

Q

Comments (20)
    Josh, I started on a web tv. The very first day i started on a Little Rock Newspaper and ended by links to the Dept of Foreign Affairs for the Middle East and a page that said anyone could be investigated for coming to that site. There was a place for e-mails and i wrote them I was a little ole lady,my first time on line, and sorry about that. Never did hear from them. But was'nt worried anyway. Have many faults, but lack of patriotism is'nt one of them. I still have a MSN2 and i'm always getting side tracked to heaven knows where.But the things i learn both useful and useless!! seems like i remember the useless most. I wonder, if i lost my ability to learn would i lose my ability to know i could'nt learn? I know ,silly thought. It is great to have my MSN2 fixed and be back on line again after so long.
    ...See More

Journal 7 January 2008

Q

Comments (2)
    I forgot to mention... During all the cleaning I was watching LF out of the corner of my eye. First, he got a big 2X4, and then a smaller plank. He lay them in the driveway. Then, he came over to where I was and asked me where his bat and ball were. I told him to get the key from his dad and look in the mess to the right of the garage. Here's what he was up to (poor kid needs a sib! Or more to keep his mind busy): What the hey, made him happy!
    ...See More

UMass Landscape Message January 11, 2008

Q

Comments (3)
    Interesting. I'm not sure I fully understand the GDD, but I'll go back and work on that one. I remembered how mild the fall and early winter of '06 was but it was nice to be reminded that January '07 started off mild also. a little OT but...I've been reading some interesting stuff about the expected appearance of the 17 year cicada this summer. The Cape Cod Times had an artical about them this past Sunday. I'm sure that Roberta will cover them in her spring and summer reports. This should be the year. I think I look forward to it...I think... Thanks for posting this report, Claire. sooey
    ...See More
  • lorna-organic
    14 years ago

Hello, Keesha, when I moved to New Mexico (from California) the only thing I really missed was Trader Joe's. I did a location search and found there was one in New Mexico. It is in Santa Fe, an hour and a half drive from here. I made the trip a few times! A couple of years ago another TJs opened up in Albuquerque, and was an immediate hit with the locals. Now I only have to drive about thirty-five minutes to shop at a TJs. (I am sensitive to chemicals, too.) Have you tried their Spa line of shampoo and conditioner? The price is terrific and the product is good quality.

Kent I've been told that the majority of men in New Zealand know how to knit! I like knitting with wool. I really love the feel of the yarn running through my fingers. Would love to hear how your plans to make indigo dye work out. You've got me curious. I'm going to do a search on the plant. Years ago I used to be into dying. I've taken instruction in spinning, and want to work myself up to the next level. I want to get a spinnng wheel to spin yarn from Samoyed wool. I once found a color chart for natural dying. I think it was on the Pioneer Thinking Web site.

Lorna

• PattiOH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's great hearing from you all!

Cameron, thank you for the information that Trader Joe's is a GROCERY store! There is one about 3 miles from my front door. I thought it would be stocked with piles of buffalo robes and barrels of nails or maybe some raft-making kits and coconuts!
    I'll have to check it out.

Kent, hurry up and get started on that knitting while it's still "scarf season". Not too many ways to screw up a scarf (just being practical, not at all suggesting that you wouldn't be capable of creating some other recognizable article!).

ThinMan, GOOD LUCK!!!

• fammsimm
    14 years ago

So far we have stayed well, and I sure hope it continues. ( I also hope I haven't jinxed myself by mentioning it!)

This has been a very mild winter, so far, and I've kept busy collecting and adding material to some new lasagna beds. My compost pile continues to cook and I am hopeful for some rich "black gold" to add to those new beds shortly.

I'm going to try to grow veggies again this year after some really awful battles with bugs and wild critters in the past. I grew a single potted tomato plant last summer and really enjoyed those fresh home grown tomatoes. That gave me some confidence to try a veggie garden, again. I've been following the thread about companion plants to deter insects very closely as I garden organically. My plan is to have fresh tomatoes, peppers and squash. Oh..I hope I have success with this plan. :-)

The poppy and larkspur seeds I direct sowed are up and growing. My roses have leaf buds, along with my ornamental pear trees. My next door neighbor's beautiful Magnolia has also budded, so there are signs of spring everywhere despite some winter-like temperatures we are having this week.

I've been knitting and crocheting quite a bit lately. Like Lorna, I really love the feel of yarn running through my fingers, and also the rythemic clicking of knitting needles. It's a very soothing hobby. I've been looking for a knitting/crocheting group to join and I think I've found one. :-)

Kent,

After over 30 years of crocheting ( and being totally intimidated about knitting), I taught myself to knit 2 years ago. Hang in there and wait for that "Aha" moment! I had lots of encouraging support on this forum and that helped a lot.

I am still loving my bread maker, and experimenting with different recipes. I don't know why I didn't buy one years ago. I am having a blast with it.

Marilyn

• slubberdegulion
    14 years ago

Lorna, it turns out any number of people I know are closet knitters, I'm hoping to join the crowd. I think the sittingness of the hobby will bother me, I tend to jump up and run around every few minutes. One friend at the meeting was knitting a shrug out of henna-dyed yarn (I can't remember what the fabric was), it was a gorgeous fluffy blend of reds/oranges. She spins also, which is interesting. Years ago, I used to visit a lady who had two looms she used to make gorgeous tapestries.

My plan is to grow indigo, madder, and woad this year and at least attempt to dye something, anything. Bookmarks, paper, myself, whatever. What I've read on-line and in books suggests indigo dyeing isn't all that terribly difficult. If nothing else, I can (sigh) buy synthetic indigo. And, supposedly woad can be a weed, so I almost can't fail to grow it. (It takes a lot more woad to get a good color though.)

Reading up on natural dyes has been interesting, I already grow any number of dye plants and never knew it.

Patti, Eduarda, thanks for the support. I'll take what I can get! ; )

GGG, I visited Dave's the other day and read your article on water barrels, which I enjoyed. We need to add extra barrels onto ours, I went out today and drained some water off to keep them from popping in the next freeze. Ours are black, so they rarely ever freeze solid, but I hate to take chances.

Speaking of Lost, is anyone going to go see Cloverfield? I'm looking forward to it.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Slub, drill yourself an overflow for your rain barrel and add a valve just below the top of the barrel. That way you can direct overflow where you want and never have to worry about too much freezing! Should cost you $6 per barrel including hose to get that done.

GGG

• lorna-organic
    14 years ago

Kent, I well know what you mean about jumping up and running around every few minutes. I'm naturally hyper--wouldn't touch coffee with a ten foot pole! I find that I can settle down and enjoy a stint of knitting. One of my first projects was a dress. I used large wooden needles, thick wool, and a simple pattern. It only took thirteen hours to produce a gorgeous mini dress (way back in the 60's). My friends were so jealous of that dress! :-)

Patti, you had me laughing with your comments about TJs. They have a great selection of cheeses, many items from around the world, chocolates are one of their specialties. They offer a wide selection of premade and frozen foods. Great for people who don't like to cook, or don't have the time for cooking. Take your checkbook because you'll probably end up with a full grocery cart! Make sure to check out the soaps, candles, etc.; great quality and reasonable pricing. They also sell orchid plants, and others, plus cut flowers at lower prices than most of us are used to paying.

GGG, would you reprint your rainbarrel article here please? I have a couple of rainbarrels. I'm interested to know what you have to say on the subject.

Lorna

• todancewithwolves
    14 years ago

63 more days until spring! I've been a slump since the beginning of December and hopefully it'll shake off when spring comes.

I enjoyed reading what you've all been up to. You are all the greatest group people. As I've said before, there is so much talent in this forum.

Sigh of relief that the holidays are over. Next December I vow to run away for the holidays. Customers, employees and family just drained me of every ounce of energy.

Haven't gardened since I don't know when.

Had the worst flu running a temperature for 4 days. Still have a horrible cough I just can't shake.

Found out two weeks ago my Dad died December 15th. I guess his new wife forgot to tell us.

On the bright side I've enrolled in a new painting class and we are going on a field trip to the Legion of Honor Museum.

Edna

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Edna, I can see where you're glad December is over. So sorry to hear about your dad my thoughts are with you. You've really been dealing with a lot and having it all going on through Christmas... Do take care of yourself, coughs are so hard to get rid of and they really can wear you down. It's a new year new beginnings and when it comes to family issues, what can't be fixed let it go. This might sound presumptuous but if you ever need a shoulder or need to vent I'm as close as an email.
    On the brighter side a new painting class, not that you need one from what I've seen of your work, sounds wonderful. Spring is just around the corner, with it comes a fresh new year full of wonders to discover and I for one want to see more of your wonderful paintings.

Annette

• mora
    14 years ago

(((Edna)))my dear, no wonder you are in a slump,I am so sorry you lost your Dad, shame on that woman.
    My aunt told me that vicks rubbed on your feet at night will help a stubborn cough and drink lots of water.
    I've been getting stuff done that has been put off for years, sorting out the attic and making a will were two main things, done, yeah!
    Thinking seriously of changing jobs, I'd love to work at a garden center, looking into it.
    Thinman, avert your eyes here...we have been invited to sail on a Herrschaft schooner next year for Antigua race week, all expenses paid so there is something to look forward to.
    The days are getting longer! M

• todancewithwolves
    14 years ago

Thank you so much. I'm in tears reading your responses.

It's been so difficult to post anything lately because I don't know what
    to say and keep things lively and happy. I don't like to be a downer in this
    forum.

I never got my Christmas cards out and I feel so bad, sorry folks.

Mora, you go girl! Find that job that makes you happy and smile.

14 years ago

M, how exciting for you, I've never sailed myself, but watching such races make my toes curl, lucky you. I keep re-watching the movie "Wind" just to see that final race. It still keeps me sitting on the edge of my seat and holding my breathe LOL.

Annette

• mora
    14 years ago

As our dear Flower lady pointed out, thats what friends are for and as for running away next Christmas, I'm with you :)M

14 years ago

Edna, when friends are going through difficult times if nothing else we can lend moral support. I'm sure we've all been in similar situations at some time in our lives. Come to think of it I think I'll give a thought to running away with both you and Martha next Christmas. Come the 1st of December I start to hold my breath wondering what crisis it's going to descend this year around here.

(((Hugs)))
    Annette

• slubberdegulion
    14 years ago

Edna!! How truly awful, I am so sorry for your loss. Johnny was just complaining a few weeks ago about being told off-handedly that a relative had died, everyone assumed he knew about it. Several years ago, I discovered a great uncle had died. Oddly, I though he had already been dead for years, because that's what I'd been led to believe. He had been living within spitting distance of my grandfather the whole time. My family is nuts (my guess is our branch was part of the witness protection program or we're descended from someone terrible since everyone is so secretive and our records indicate we sprang from the earth a few generations ago), so I expect that sort of thing, but I can't imagine your loss.

I, personally, had all my "cards" done way before Christmas. ; ) Now I feel really extra guilty about yours!! I would have sent you something nicer. And sooner.

• PattiOH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Many hugs to you dear Edna!!! I'm very sorry to hear about your dad. How monstrous that you weren't told at the time!

I think the C.G.ers are here for each other in rainy times as well as the sunny times, so I'm glad you've let us know about your difficulties. I hope better days and better health are in your near future.
    The painting class is a wonderful idea. Don't forget to share your creations with us!

Love and more hugs,
    Patti

• Steveningen
    14 years ago

Oh Edna, I'm sorry to hear about your father. How heartless that this woman didn't tell you right away. No matter what may have transpired, and I'm not prying, there is no reason you shouldn't have been informed immediately.

Please don't ever feel that you need to always be cheerful to post something. I want to know when any of my friends here may be going through a rough patch. I know I'm not alone in saying that that's what we're here for.

And the Christmas cards? Fuggedaboutit.

Steven

• thinman
    14 years ago

Our Dear Edna, who wouldn't be in a slump after all you've been through? I think I would be catatonic in bed with a pillow over my head until spring.

Please try to take care of yourself so you can recover and heal with time. You were right about this group being talented, and you're a very big part of that talent. I hope the painting class is fun for you.

Keep letting us know how you are doing.

ThinMan

• lorna-organic
    14 years ago

Hello, Edna,

My heartfelt sympathies...when my dad died, I lamented to a woman I knew that I would no longer be able to talk to my dad. She responded that it wasn't true. She told me, you will always be able to talk to your dad in your heart. That sentiment meant a lot to me, and I have found it to be true. I hope the idea comforts you as it did me. Please take good care of yourself.

Lorna

• Tenderheart_Zone5
    14 years ago

Edna, I'm so sorry for your loss and for the way you found out about it. What a double heartbreak. You're in my prayers.

Much love,

Val

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

Dearest Cousin Edna ~ So sorry you have been sick and sorry for the loss of your dad and the way that you found out. DH and I are always the last ones to find out things in both of our families. Families by blood can be cruel, gardening families are friendly and caring.

Do take care of yourself, you are loved and cared for here by so many.

I've enjoyed reading about all of the happenings in everyone's lives.

Kent ~ I had my first knitting lessons when I was 10. My tension was very tight, I dropped stitches, and I didn't make anything, I was just learning the basics. I did not pick up knitting needles again until I was a newlywed living in Spain with DH. My neighbor across the hall was also a Navy wife and she is the one who taught me how to knit. I knit DH 3 sweaters. We just took two of them down from the attic. They brought back memories. I knit my mother a bedspread using a different pattern for each square then joined them altogether. I also knit my MIL an aphgan in panels. Plus I knit baby items for family and friends. It is so wonderful to make something from thread. Don't be hard on yourself, relax, and have fun. I love crocheting and learned to do that when I was 15. I love crocheting with fine thread, size 30 and a size 13 hook. I've crocheted lots of things. Am working on finishing up a coverlet for our bed now, made with different colors of yarn from my late MIL and from an elderly friend of ours who no longer does needlework.

I also am getting over a cold and now have a lightly throbbing tooth that needs to be taken care of. I do not look forward to that at all.

We are working on decluttering, inside and out. DH is working in our attic taking out old insulation, laying new plywood for flooring over that and then putting foam board insulation on the roof side of attic. It is going to make a big difference. He's doing a great job. This gives us a chance to go through the attic and look at stuff that we haven't seen for years. ~ We have several outdoor projects to work on also, plus I want to have some colorful gardens this year with seeds from the seed swap.

Get well everyone, and stay warm all of you in the winter-hinter lands.

Be well in spirit Edna and pretty soon you'll be your sweet, loving, happy self once again.

May all our dreams of lovely, fruitful gardens come true this year.

May those of you going on trips have wonderful adventures.

Hugs ~ FlowerLady

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Edna, my goodness! I am so sorry about your Dad! What can be said, but that the way you were treated is hurtful beyond words.
    I hope you find what you need to renew your spirit as after all, you are such a lovely, lively and vibrant woman.

GGG

• natvtxn
    14 years ago

I hope today was a better day. I put the do not disturb sign on the guest room door. When ever you want, come on.

Kathy

• DYH
    14 years ago

Edna, I am so sorry for your loss. Allow yourself time to grieve as well as reflect on the happy times. Hugs.

Eduarda, one day we'll make it to Portugal. We choose our vacations on where we can fly for free on our frequent flier miles! My husband has been there on business and he says it is beautiful. Of course, I want to visit for the tawny port...and the madeira...hmmm. LOL

Patti, you are so funny! I must admit, I had to ask my friend in Berkeley about TJ's when I heard one was coming to CH.

Cameron

• thinman
    14 years ago

Martha - I didn't avert my eyes soon enough! I'm feeling a few pangs of envy and wish I could be there, but I'm happy that you will be able to have such a wonderful experience. Maybe you will be kind enough to share a few pictures with us when you get home.

DW and I went to the Wooden Boat Show a number of years ago when it was in Mystic Seaport, Connecticut, and we took an interesting side trip to the Herreshoff Museum in Bristol Rhode Island. Like so many other folks, I really love those boats and if I were a rich man I would have to own one. I hope you and J have a great time.

ThinMan

• trailrunner
    14 years ago

Edna I am so sorry to hear of your loss. The way you learned of it, irrespective of family history , is too cruel. As Steven said, you need never be "cheerful" for us...we love the real you and want to be there for you good or bad. c

• fammsimm
    14 years ago

Edna,

I am so sorry to hear of your father's passing, and also of the way you heard about it. I know this is a difficult time for you, and I hope you know that all your cottage gardening friends love and care about you.

May each day bring a little more peace and sunshine into your life.

Hugs,
    Marilyn

• Eduarda
    14 years ago

Dear Edna, so sorry to hear the bad news on your side! I have come to realize that we can only choose friends, family we have to endure to the best of our abilites. I don't know the reasons behind the estrangement in your family, but I hope your sorrow eases up soon and all things can be sorted. Hugging your boys really tight also helps, I bet! And don't think you always have to be cheerful to post here - after all, real friends are put to the test in trying times, not happy ones.

Big hugs to you, good health to everyone still afflicted by various ailments

Eduarda

• memo3
    14 years ago

Hello Friends!

I'm so glad I dropped by just now to catch this thread that tells me what all of you are up to. Three more months until we can even begin to think of looking for signs of spring. I have a large stack of garden catalogs sitting here beside me just waiting for the day that I have a chance to open them and take a peek. I hope those of you who have been under the weather regain your health quickly now!

I know I've been missing around here for quite some time and I am so sorry for that. I've been so busy with my daughter's wedding which took place this past Saturday. It was really beautiful and I have so many great memories of the special day. I know my daughter and new son-in-law do too. I had been frantically working to finish hand quilting a very large quilt for their wedding gift but I didn't get it done. I trimmed the edges and folded it neatly to give to them. Then I promptly took it away from them so I could bring it back home and finish it. I have already spent five months on it. I'll be glad when it's finished and glad that I won't have to look upon it again for a very long time LOL!

After the festivities we brought my grandson home with us. What a bright spot he is in our lives. It's been cold and snowing since he got here so we've had lots of time to play in the house. I'm still having fun but I think he's about played out and ready to get outside and do some real farm work.

Aside from the regular farm stuff not too much has been going on around here I guess. I finally got some results on all my back problems and have been told now by two neurologists that they can do nothing for me. I have been sulking for months over it but I think I'm finally coming to terms with it. I'll be going to a pain management/neurologist in February. Hopefully he'll find a way to break this horrid pain cycle. I know my family would be grateful for that too ;)

Dear Sweet Edna, I am so very sorry for your loss. Wicked step-mother!! I have one too. When my father passed away, four years ago this past December, she did call one family member to tell them. Then she refused to have a funeral and had his body cremated. She made arrangements to spread his ashes in Yellowstone park and sent us notice of this event one week prior to when it would take place....she held the event on the same weekend that my father's family holds their annual reunion knowing that we already had arrangements in place for that. You may not believe it now but these kind of people do get their paybacks. My step-mother is very lonely now and has made attempts to reach out to my father's family. Sadly she was so cruel to them when my father was alive that they won't give her the opportunity to do it to them again. She ended up quite wealthy when he died and now she has had one illness after another ever since his death so she never got to enjoy it the way she thought she would. I hold nothing against her. I figure that what goes around comes around. I'm sure her own guilt will pay her back for the pain she has dished out over the past 30 some years. I feel sorry for her actually. I can't imagine expending that amount of energy on meanness, and for what? Try to keep the good thoughts in your heart dear Edna and your pain from her actions will dissipate. I'll be thinking of you.

MeMo

PS...if any of you would like to see pictures from the wedding and also the quilt they are posted on my blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• slubberdegulion
    14 years ago

I made it through a knitting lesson Sunday without alienating my friend, but quickly realized I had no clue what I was doing when I picked it back up the next day on my own.

Tonight was the informal knitting group meeting. I pulled out my new chunky yarn and one of my friends said "Oh my gosh, is that Twinkle!?" And then she started gushing about it, so at least I ended up with some nice yarn. I was wishing she'd close her big mouth because Johnny came along and I didn't want him to know the yarn wasn't bargain basement crud. At least I have proof our bills are paid up. My teaching-friend patiently told me several times not to take the needle out of the live stitch (which would be why my stitches kept mysteriously disappearing). She was mystified at my demonstration of long tail casting, I kept ending up with the working thread at the bottom somehow. She told me to just concentrate on learning one cast at a time, so I desisted. I think I've started that darn scarf at least 10 times now.

We met in a coffee shop just down the road and listened to the bluegrass/folk music being played (the husband of one of the ladies was playing) while we gossiped about neighbors and discussed (mostly for my benefit) knitting techniques and different yarns. I found a source for hand-dyed yarn! And a source for raw yarn for my own dyeing project later this year. My chunky scarf may be knobbly, but at least I had fun starting on it. Now, if I can just muster up the courage to continue on the other scarf with the teensy needles...

kent

• mrmorton
    14 years ago

I guess I'll contribute, even though I'm hardly a bastion of joy at the moment.
    My car told me that it was -8 as I pulled into my parking space this morning. Add in the wind chill and we're talking dangerous cold here.
    I wonder what plants in my garden will get done in by this.
    I am entirely sick of cold and snow, and Spring feels SO far away. It takes genuine effort to not fall into a winter depression.
    I spend very little time thinking about the garden this time of year. I'll take a stroll through it once a week just to get out of the house, but I refuse to look at catalogs or do any real planning.
    The winter is for watching movies, reading books, playing video games, and trying to get some form of exercise in(I always gain a few pounds over the winter).
    Nan had knee surgery a few weeks ago. She was in some major pain for a few days there, but is getting along better now. Now she has to go to physical therapy(again) for a couple months. Doc says it will never heal properly as long as she continues to do the same exercise program. Needs to be low impact or nothing at all. She's frustrated because she finally found something that works for her(lost over 40 #'s and is generally much healthier now) and is being told she can't do it.
    My own health is in a odd state as well. I'm only 33, but I feel like twice that. My wrist continues to bother me, but I put that on the back burner after getting pains in my chest. I've been through a hospital visit, numerous tests, and a couple doctors. They say my heart is just fine(damn well oughta be!) and am having trouble pinpointing my problem. My primary doc thinks it may be costochondritis(or chest wall syndrome) I don't recall what I would have done to cause this, but it is terribly annoying(not to mention painful). I am now on anti-inflammatories to help speed the healing process. I'm too damn young for this.
    So thats about it. Sorry about being grumpy, but thats just the reality of it at the moment. Next month is a very busy one for my fam so that journal entry should be a bit more upbeat. We'll see.

• natvtxn
    14 years ago

I am so sorry for all the "irritants" happening in your life.
    Were not you the one that had the car accident a couple years ago?

• PattiOH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to everyone for dragging yourselves in here and letting us know how you're doing. January will be behind us soon!!! My heart goes out to those of you in pain. Can't think of anything worse than that.

MEMO! I just visited your blog. Great job my friend! The decorations at the hall were lovely. Beautiful bride and handsome new DH. Adorable GS too! Be sure to post your pretty picture with our photos in the Gallery! (titled "Y'all chicken or what?").

Kent, I loved your knitting story. You really do jump in with both feet! I have to admire you for that.
    I would be taking the "chicken" way of picking the easiest project, the easiest needles, the easiest material, the easiest stitch . . . way too cautious in everything I do. I must try harder to be more adventureous!

MrMorton, I hope you and Nan will be feeling better soon!

Patti

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

Memo ~ May I post your lovely, smiling face on my webpage of Cottage Garden Friends? Thank you for posting the link to your blog. What a nice wedding. Your daughter was a radiant bride.

Hang in there Kent. You will get the hang of it before long and you'll be clicking away on your needles.

MrMorton ~ Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. May you be in better spirits soon and feeling healthy as well.

FlowerLady

14 years ago

MeMo, I just came back from visiting your blog, your daughter looked absolutely beautiful in her gown and I have to say the groom looked pretty handsome as well...and what a little cutie pie your grandson is. Glad you're able to spend some time with us again you've been missed. I hope your heating problem is soon remedied, you must be so cold, take care and I hope you get some relief from your back pain (((HUGS)))

Kent, when you've finished your scarf WE WANT TO SEE!!!
    When I was younger and of course had a million and one things to do I couldn't sit for any length of time to knit. I had an apron with a big pocket in front that I could stuff my knitting in so when I had to get off my behind to attend to something the knitting went with me. This is also very handy when one has a kitty who's eyes glaze over whenever she spotted a ball of wool.
    This reminds me of the great wool I found on sale and which I was knitting the nicest sweater with, came home one day to find a very exhausted Kitty and the sleeve I was working on unraveled and running through and around the house making the most fantastic maze I've ever seen. I was laughing so hard I couldn't be mad at her. Needless to say the sweater didn't make it but I made a nice shawl with what I salvaged.

Mr M, I hope you and Nan are feeling better soon, chest pain can be very worrying especially when they can't really pinpoint the problem, been there so kind of know how you feel. Take care of yourselves and try to think positively, I know it's hard to do but take it from me it really helps, if nothing else it stops you from feeling worse. It will be spring before long with all it's weeds and wonders :o).
    Patti, this has been such a great thread we should have one every month. I think it's threads like this that actually make us one big extended family as well as friends.
    Annette

• lorna-organic
    14 years ago

Kent, you had me laughing with your knitting story. I well remember the days when I had to cast on, cast off, cast on, cast off... Once you get the hang of it, the skill will always be there. I'm glad you are starting a first project with big wool. Having a finished piece in a short period of time really kicks one into gear to keep on keeping on.
    Lorna

• angelcub
    14 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm so sorry to hear of the illnesses, etc. I had that nasty cold over xmas. I hadn't had a cold in about a decade so I guess it was my time. I hope you're all back to your happy and healthy selves real soon. : )

As for me, I've been on a purging binge. Neither Mark nor I are packrats but we had stuff taking up space in our attic that was never going to be used so we finally packed it up and took it to the Salvation Army. Then I started in on the books, records, cds, etc. This week it's been my sewing room. I am being brutally honest with myself and facing the fact that I'll probably never use even half the fabric I own so it's going to my quilt guild buddies. Same goes for most of my general craft stuff - never gonna use so why store it. I've got to say, it feels good to purge! lol! Anyone else feel that way?

Our weather has been cold and snowy this month. It doesn't hang around long but is lovely when it does. It's been snowing on and off all day today, as it did yesterday. And the weather gurus are saying we're in for more this weekend. I have a feeling my propane bill is going to be ugly.

Take care, everyone! Spring will soon be here and we'll all be sharing pics again, quickly forgetting that the weather was ever so inclement.

Bear Hugs, Diana

• PattiOH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh Annette, what a picture that must have been of zigzagged yarn and worn out(guilty)kitty! lol!

We've pretty much had an informal kind of news thing going just about every month for a while, started by anyone who feels like starting it. You've doubtless participated and not even realized that it was happening once a month!
    I agree, it brings us closer to share our ups and downs. I believe we come from all walks of life, and yet here we are, just as you said, like an extended family.
    Quite a beautiful thing to be part of.
    (and no one ever complains of my terrible spelling or dangling participles either!)
    Patti

• mora
    14 years ago

Well I just wanted to report that fresh manure has been delivered to my middle of town almost inaccessible garden by its maker, yup Bambi was here, wish I could have seen him but I sure hope this won't become a habit!

Kent, I used to knit a lot, loved it, the best bit of advice my teacher gave me was to never put your project down with a mistake to fix no matter how upset you might be to find you have to unravel rows of hard work just "suck it up" and have the piece faultlessly ready to pick up next time, can't wait to see your creation , M

• angelcub
    14 years ago

Wow, she came right into town. She must have really been hungry, poor thing.

Ok, now I have a pic stuck in my head of that moose on Northern Exposure that used to wander through town in the opening credits. lol! Loved that show!

Good luck with the knitting, Kent. And btw, your egg is in hiding at my place. I love it but so does Lewis. If he sees it, he steals it. Runs up the stairs with it and hides under the bed. I'm so afraid he's going to crack it that I've hidden it in a drawer until I can find a safe place for it. Crazy a$$ cat!

Diana

• fammsimm
    14 years ago

Kent, I taught myself to knit 2 years ago and it really was very discouraging at times.

Remember Dawn who used to post on this forum? She is a fantastic knitter, and offered this advice after listening to one of my whines: "You've got the brains, not the needles, get out there and whip it's ass!" :-) And...that's what I did!!

Just this past week I found someone at work that is learning to knit right now. She mentioned that another woman in her dept. is an experienced knitter and is helping both her and another co-worker of her's during lunch.

From that conversation we are in the process of forming a knitting group that will meet at lunch, with the expert knitter participating as a teacher/coach. I'm really looking forward to being in this group.

I've been on a purging binge, too. Like Diana mentioned, it really is a soul searching experience and really demands some honest decisions about the "stuff" we all store. I've cleaned out, pared down and donated a bunch of things, and it does feel good!

Marilyn

• slubberdegulion
    14 years ago

All this talk of "purging binges" makes me feel queasy. It sounds like an eating disorder. ; )

Mora, sounds like good advice. I've unraveled my poor scarf so many times, I'm worried the yard will wear down before I ever get to wrap it around my neck in scarf form. I suppose technically one end is no longer virgin wool.

So far, only one cat wants to eat the yarn, the other two can't be bothered. I was up late the other night struggling with a mysterious increase and I looked around and felt like I was in a picture. I had the faux-fire going and a cat sleeping on my lap, it was nice.

Marilyn, I keep forgetting to say thanks for your encouragement. I think now that I have at least a basic grasp of the knit stitch (and I'm a master at casting on...grr), that darn crochet stitch I could never figure out is starting to make sense, so maybe I'll pick that up again too. I have watched those on-line knitting videos so many times late at night that they have started looking like peculiar art films. Two hands wafting and knitting against a red background. It's the best thing to induce sleep I've found in years!

Do I remember Dawn? Of course! I lurk on her blog now and then, she's a hoot. I like being able to peek over her shoulder and see how the adventurous half live. She's amazing.

I hope you have fun in your knitting group. For me, the best part of the small group here is that we are incredibly diverse and all eager to share our opinions on just everything. The knitting lessons aren't too bad either.

Diana, that's rich! Heck, I'm glad that the egg is being enjoyed. Beatrice has squirreled away the leftover cotton balls, we keep finding them everywhere.

• broodyjen
    14 years ago

Hey everyone!

Like Memo, I have been MIA for several months now. Got sidetracked by work and also had weaned myself off of forums for awhile. But I was also in the process of purging some stuff, and sat down at the computer for a break, and thought I'd check in.

It was good to see this thread so I could catch up with what everyone's doing.

Edna, so sorry to hear about your father.

Memo--What a beautiful wedding! I love looking at wedding photos...makes me wish I could get married again (to the same DH, though).

Kent--I've been thinking about trying knitting again. I tried it once, but never had the patience to complete a project. I was much better at doing the rag quilts that...who was it, Angelcub maybe?....taught me. But anyways, if you send me a very sturdy jug, I'll fill it with my pregnant lady pee and send it to you. Seems like I'm peeing every few minutes, so you'll have a good supply until July.

Other than that, no news to report. We're still waiting for the first foals to arrive at the farm. I'm still farm hunting, so unsure if I should be planning garden stuff for the spring. I guess I can always plan, right? Trying to clean out the computer/sewing/junk room to make a nursery, just in case we don't get moved. Thus the purge of "stuff."

Take care everyone. I will try not to be such a stranger.

Jen

• PattiOH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HI JEN!
    Nice to see you posting again. I'm thinking that you'll be needing that nursery pretty SOON!?
    Do keep in touch and let us know what's happening!

Purging is certainly needed at this house. It would be wonderful to have some of this stuff out of here. I have a fantasy of renting one of those huge dumpster things and hoeing out my dad's basement, attic,garage and storage shed before he returns from Florida in April. In my fantasy he doesn't even notice that anything is missing! I almost have myself talked into it, but I think the guilt would be too much for me.

Patti

• slubberdegulion
    14 years ago

Thanks, Jen! I read that to Johnny last night and he groaned. He says not to encourage my eccentricities.

Patti, I remember roller skating and learning to ride a bike in my parent's basement. Now, they can barely move down there. I've been after them for years to carry something out whenever they squeeze through. My mom is threatening to die and leave me with the mess as a way of making me suffer from beyond the grave.

• lorna-organic
    14 years ago

Kent, you are a hoot. I get a big kick out of your sense of humor.

My mom is 79. Lately she has been on a culling binge, saying she doesn't want anybody to have to go through all of that stuff after she passes. It makes me sad to hear her talking that way. But she is having fun passing on Christmas decorations, cooking gear, etc. to her granddaughters, who have recently set up households of their own. She sent me a beautiful wood carving of a roadrunner, which she decided to give up.

My mom is an accomplished knitter. She used to make sweaters which had animals worked into them. I remember a panda, which was particularly beautiful, truly a work of art. She did it all free form, no pattern. Her hands are now too arthritic to be able to knit large items which become heavy on the needles. She learned to knit in school in England. The school kids made woolen sox, which were sent to their soldiers fighting in WWII.

Lorna

• caesarwang
    12 years ago

Dear Friend ,

Nice to meet you . this is Caesar Wang from China .

do you have interesting in importing or purchase wood/bamboo floors from China ?

Wait for your comments.

Best Regards !
    Caesar Wang
    Minmax international Enterprise Limited
    MAJOR : SOLID/ENGINEERED /BAMBOO FLOOR
    Quanshan district,Xuzhou city,Jiangsu province, China 221009
    TEL:0086-15915802160
    FAX:0086-516/83531919
    WEB:www.sinowoodlink.com
    Email: Caesar888888@gmail.com
    MSN: Caesar88888888@hotmail.com
    MORE STEADY ,MORE HEALTHY , MORE COMFORTABLE

• zigzag
    12 years ago

Wow, Caesar Wang is really getting around, isn't he? Kinda funny ...... and since I'm so easily amused, reading thru these old threads he keeps digging up is fun!

• PattiOH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So many of these dear garden friends from 2008 have moved on. I miss them all a bunch!

Patti

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor
More Discussions