SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovelyiris

Have Red Castor Beans to go with Brug plantings

lovelyiris
16 years ago

Ok, I now have plenty of these seeds to share with those of you who would like some to grow with your brugs. I'll send about 10 seeds to everyone until they run out.

Send me an email requesting castor beans and your address to mail them to. Be sure and remember that these seeds are Toxic.

Happy Gardening, Marian

Comments (24)

• priscilla2007
    16 years ago

I want some seeds. Sending you email.

Priscilla

• lovelyiris
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, Priscilla your red castor beans will be in the mail in the morning. Hope you enjoy them. Be sure and keep them away from children and animals they are toxic like many other plants.

Marian

• Related Discussions

Ricinus (Castor Oil Bean) 'Carmencita' - leaves should be red?

Q

Comments (12)
    Castor beans may come up in many different colors since the mother plant may have been pollinated by wasps (favorite pollinators of castor beans I've found the past 40 years) from other colored castor bean plants in your area. Unless the plants are pollinated by another "red" or "pink" plant it's a crap shoot. Best bet? Plant many seeds from different sources the pollinate yourself once they start flowering and make sure you sleeve the flowers after doing so...don't want any stay pollin messing up your hard work.
    ...See More

Have...castor bean'Gibsonii' aka..black castor bean

Q

Comments (10)
    I would love to trade for your black castor bean seeds. I have a Rose of Sharon seedling (will have tons of seeds, but are not ready yet), have Canna 'Indian Shot' (small plant, haven't bloomed yet, so no seeds yet), have a very few White Texas Star Hibiscus seeds, have white Baby's Breath seeds, have Orange Noah & Chocolate Rose Silk MG's growing, but no seeds yet, have 4 o'clock 'Broken Colors' and the white with pink splash, have Red Habanero, cherry hot, Hungarian Hot Wax pepper, or see my list. Thank you for your consideration. Don
    ...See More

Have; Datura, Red Castor bean, Coreopsis, and Arugala

Q

Comments (3)
    I would love some datura, please take a look at my trade list, see if anything interests you. Thanks, michiganmama
    ...See More

WANTED: Carmencita Red Castor Bean

Q

Comments (1)
    Got, thanks Shirley.
    ...See More
  • gee8ch
    16 years ago

Hi Marian: Please send me some of your red castor beans. I will be happy to send postage. Thank you for sharing your garden with us. Sending you e-mail. Please let me know if you receive it. Thanks,again, Gloria

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Marian, I would love some of your red castor beans provided they are not Carmencita, which I already have. PLMK. Thanks for sharing, Eloise

• lovelyiris
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Red Castor Bean seeds are going in the mail this morning if I have your address. If not you need to email it to me. I will not respond to the email but I will acknowledge who is getting them here.

Going out today:
    Mike
    Barbra
    Priscillia
    Linda

Gloria, yours will go out in the morning. I got to get some more bubble wrap.
    Since everyone here has been so good to me don't worry about the postage just pay it forward to someone else.

Eloise, I don't know if they are different from the ones you have or not. I just know they are the beautiful reddish purple leaves and have a silvery gleam to them sometimes.
    Very beautiful. I can send you some seeds if you give me your address. If they are the same, trash them after they come up.

I still have plenty and have access to several trees to harvest them from.

Happy Gardening, Marian

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

THANK YOU, Marian. Gloria

• davidlee
    16 years ago

I would love to have some of these seeds. I got hooked on brugs a couple years ago due to this forum (don't usually post though!) and a generous someone (wish I could remember who!)who sent me cuttings. After seeing some Castor beans this year I think I could get hooked on them too!

Very generous of you! Sending an email. Thanks!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

Hi marian, I am sending you an email. I would like to try some of these as well. I can always use shade plants around here in the blazing hot desert lol. Let me know if you want any of the seeds I emailed you about.
    ~SJN

• napdognewfie
    16 years ago

Hi Marian, i would love to have some seeds. My mother used to plant them but we quit growing them after I had small children (the baby is 17 years old now so I don't think he'll eat them). Do you need postage or a SASE?
    Linda

• lovelyiris
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, got several more packages of seeds going out today to the following individuals.

Linda
    Joyce
    Lenette
    Eloise
    David
    Gloria

If I missed anyone it's because I didn't get an email from you. No postage is needed in return for these seeds. Some of you have asked about sending me seeds you have in return. Please know that I would be very grateful to receive any seeds that you have plenty to share and can spare. This is not a requirement at all. I just noticed several people were interested in Red Castor Beans and I was sure that I could harvest some from a neighbors tree. I hope they do well for all of you but please remember they are TOXIC.

Happy Gardening, Marian

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

Marian

Since you've been missing in action! :) Watch your mailbox! You have a very large package due to arrive later this week - possibly Saturday!

Mike

• sandysseeds007
    16 years ago

Hello Marian, Do you think you could hang on to some of those for me until spring. It's already below 0F at night here in our zone6 pocket of Ontario. And I'm believing they won't be any good if they're exposed to even one night of these temperatures being the tropicals that they are. I'm dissappointed again as I lost 5 varieties of castor beans last early summer due to the peat pellet greenhouse sitting outside in 90F temps...sealed...which steam cooked them. Needless to say I had no idea what temp it was gonna be. Now the chance of getting them early enough in spring to get them self seeding for that year is going to be an obstacle.

I do have some gibsonii, a pretty green and red to send next spring after the weather has warmed up a bit more up here. Anybody else will have to send me an email addy and hopefully you won't have to send me a reminder but that would be nice sometime in early March.

• lovelyiris
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Send me an address and when you want the seeds mailed. I will write it on my calendar and send them to you at the right time.

Happy Gardening, Marian

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

Marian

Received castor bean seeds today! :) Thank you! Also sent you an email - check it! Has the package arrived? ;)

Mike

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

Marian, I got mine today. Thanks so much. I sent you out an envelope too :P
    ~SJN

• davidlee
    16 years ago

I received my seeds today as well. I really appreciate your generosity. Have you an envelope going out tomorrow. Thanks again!

David

• sandysseeds007
    16 years ago

Hi Marian, Thank you, sent a long email. lol -Sandy

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Marian, I got my seeds, today also. Thank you, so much. I will mail out your plants week after next. Barbra,

• lovelyiris
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm so glad everyone got their seeds. I'm just thrilled that I had access to them. They are very beautiful and have pretty red blooms that turn to seeds. Just a little FYI the seeds will be in a little prickley ball thingie. LOL Each little ball has 3 seeds.

Please don't feel you have to send me anything. I did this out of the kindness of my heart and love to share and make others happy. I will appreciate what ever you do send however. I am so very blessed by all the wonderful people on this Forum. I think it's the best bunch of people on any forum I've ever meet.

Happy Gardening and Brugging, Marian

• bonnie12210
    16 years ago

Hi Marian sent you an email.:)
    Bonnie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Marian, I planted the red castor bean seeds you sent and I have 12 beautiful plants. You also sent me some other seeds, but did not label them, I planted them and they came up too, what are they? I have no idea. They were in the same package, really small seeds. This plant is much thinner than the castor bean plant. I hope you can help me. Barbra,

• lovelyiris
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You know Barbra, that was so long ago I can't remember. With me there is no telling what I sent or who I sent stuff to.

I'm glad they came up for you and I hope they all do well for you. Sorry I can't help you with what the others are. Maybe if you post a picture it will jog my memory, but I wouldn't count on it.

I hope everyone else is having success growing their seeds I sent them.

Right now I have over 300 daylily seedlings started. I'm keeping busy trying to keep the fungus gnats and other little critters away from them. I just can't believe how fast those suckers grew. I soaked them one night, planted them the next morning and at 3 days old they were already 4 inches tall or better.

Now if I can just keep them going in the right direction and it warms up enough to plant them outside soon I'll have it made.

Happy Gardening,
    Marian

• pagrdnr
    16 years ago

Marian, I never tried daylilies from seed. How long do they take to bloom? And also, how do you know when they are ready to harvest? Do you have to pollinate by hand or does it happen on its own? Thanks.

• daniellalell
    16 years ago

Shawn, they usually take 2-3 years. I have read some people get them to flower the first year, but I never have.
    Mine are usually are pollinated on their own, I have never done it by hand. After the flower fades, a green pod will form, wait till its brown and dry, then collect seeds. I collected & sowed seeds once, then I read they take so long to flower from seeds, I never did it again, but I wish I had, I'd have so many more daylilies blooming this year. I did start alot from seed this year though, and will collect this year. I am hoping since I started them indoors over the winter, they got a head start and will bloom sooner, last time I started them in the spring outside.
    Daniella

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths