SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chiaroscuro_gw

Newbie help growing from seed

chiaroscuro
18 years ago

Hi all,

This is my first time on this forum, I usually hang out on the hot pepper and havest forums. I grow and preserve hot peppers, but am new to growing citrus. I live in northern Italy, and I started growing my own peppers because I couldn't get many different types here, like jalapeños and habañeros. I like to cook, and I was dying for some kaffir lime leaves for Thai dishes. I mentioned this on another forum and someone from Australia offered to send me some seeds. They were pretty dried out, and I got one weak sprout which died at the cotyledon stage.

Then she sent me some seeds in a little plastic baggie with some wet pulp from the fesh fruit inside. I planted these with some of the pulp, and I have two beautiful little sprouts, both with a first set of leaves, and there may be more. I realize it could be a long wait to be able to harvest leaves, but it has become a challenge to grow them, and well, I just enjoy it.

I started them in a bottom heated propagator tray where I also start my peppers. Once they sprouted, I dug out them out and put them in plastic cups and put them under flourescent lamps - all this in regular potting soil. They are doing well, I can see new progress each day. After reading many posts on this forum, I am a bit worried about what to do next - after all this effort, I don't want to kill them!

As I live in Italy, I can't find (US) brand name products, and I am asking (begging) for advice on what to do next. I might be able to find a cactus mix, which I have seen mentioned, but I'm not sure. Is there a common/generic mixture that I might be able to make myself? I mean generic as in sand, vermiculite, peat, etc. I don't know if I can find things like coconut husks - I'll have to look around. I'm just afraid of damaging these young sprouts, and any information would be greatly appreciated.

My only other foray into growing citrus was when I found a seed in a "seedless" clementino (Clementine mandarin) and stuck it in a flower pot with another plant. The thing sprouted, and I replanted it, and grew it for about 3 years. Of course, I did everything WRONG - flooded it with water sometimes, left it outside in freezing weather, but it looked good, until it finally died. I thought it was from lack of water, but now I see it was probably from too much. I don't want to make the same mistake with my precious kaffirs!

Comments (12)