SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenpaw

OT Plumeria

gardenpaw
15 years ago

Was just wondering if anyone grows plumeria?

I`ve developed another obsession.. and was wondering what

Varieties everyone else is growing? Which ones are more

fragrant and which are your favs?

TIA!

Karen

Comments (32)

• lopaka_mikale
    15 years ago

This is an easy obsession to get caught up in. I have several Aztec Gold. Everytime I smell it, I am reminded of Hawaii. My most exotic is Confetti. The fragrance will knock you off your feet... as beautiful as the flower! Polynesian red is like nectarines.

Aztec Gold
    {{gwi:537576}}

Confetti
    {{gwi:580766}}

Polynesian Red
    {{gwi:580769}}

Others
    {{gwi:580772}}
    {{gwi:580776}}
    {{gwi:580777}}
    {{gwi:580780}}
    {{gwi:580782}}
    {{gwi:580784}}
    {{gwi:580786}}

Enjoy the website below.

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Exotic Plumeria

• gardenpaw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Bob for posting those beauties! they are
    Gorgeous!!
    Thanks for the web-site too, will have to check it out!

Have a great evening!

Karen

• Related Discussions

OT Plumeria Seeds

Q

Comments (2)
    Not necessarily. I asked why, on the Plumeria Forum, sometime back... here is the response I got: "Bob- the plumeria has more genes than humans which gives it a very large potential for variations. If the flower is self pollinated the variation is less whereas a cross pollination gives a greater variation. Also, if a self pollinated flower is a product of a cross pollination you have greater variation than if it was a product of another self pollination. In other words, you need over four dozen genes to match for a plant to be just like mom. In my experience, between 50% and 75% of the seeds in a pod will look close to the mom plant but may have variations in thickness, smell, shape, color, size, flower production, etc. Whites and yellows produce fewer other colors unless they are a mix (like Cindy Moragne). Reds, pinks and rainbows produce more variations. It is the complex genetics that give such a potential for something to vary. Bill" Hope this answers your question, Bob
    ...See More

OT-Starting Plumeria Seeds in Styrofoam boats! Part 2

Q

Comments (18)
    While young, the first year, I would keep them warm, watered and under lights. They probably won't go dormant. After the second season I treat them like a mature plumie and let them go dormant. I wouldn't store a dormant plumeria below 45 F and make sure the soil is dry. I water mature plumies very little during dormancy, literally just enough to keep the roots from drying out completely. I think I only watered my dormant plumies 2 or 3 times over the winter this year. Cool damp soil will almost guarantee root/stem rot. I move them to a warm, well lit area several weeks before it's time to put them out. This will wake them up and you can begin watering and feeding. Some will wake up on their own without being moved. Most of mine woke up really early this year without my moving them. It's just been so mild. They've been stored in the back of the garage so they did get some light during the winter but I don't have a heater in there.
    ...See More

OT - Plumeria cuttings

Q

Comments (20)
    Bob at my age...I got the patience for like 40 seedlings or so hahahahahahaha NO I am not THAT old roflmao Bob I wonder if you can share a picture of your seedlings? that would be awesome. Cause every time I look at the progress mine make...I wonder how SLOW or fast they will grow. Just like the Ardeniums lol I swear they will NEVER get bigger lol Lucy Oh and by the way...I too am hoping for a great surprise out of the seedlings :-) roflmao then I am surprised almost every day now when a new seedling I grew out over the winter...starts to show WHAT it is. How BIG it is growing. I got at least TWO kinds...that I SWEAR are WEEDS and I transplanted them ever so carefully and with love. So I am just letting them grow for now. Cause I am saying to myself that there is NO WAY that the birds planted THAT MANY in my seedling trays...you know what I mean? lol
    ...See More

OT: POTD: some Plumeria seedlilngs I repoted last night

Q

Comments (16)
    Barbra I do not remember which member talked about the peanut germination method. All I remember is that Karyn used biodegradeble ones, without knowing that they were and they dissolved and all got mixed up :-( All you do is cut a slit in the peanut. Insert the seed so the bottom immerses into the water. Which is warm and in a shallow container. I did change the water but they germinate real fast. After they had germinated I planted them in a container. That is how I grew mine out. I am with Bob. When you grow them from seeds, you get so many interesting growing Plumeria's!! From Pictures for GW friends I love this one. Just because it is totally different from all the other seedlings. From Pictures for GW friends If you can not find the thread about the peanuts...I can do a search. Lucy
    ...See More
  • givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Bad Bad Bob! That link is not what I need during lonely winter nights lol
    Thank you for sharing that one.Did you get your plummies from their?
    Got to go. Wipe off the drool.
    GREAT pictures Bob...can I use some as my background pics please? They are picture perfect! You have a wonderful eye in catching just the best side of your plummies.

Lucy

Oh Karen, did you get some already or is your obsession just starting by seeing pictures like Bob's ?

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

Bob...as always, BEAUTIFUL!!!

Karen...

Oh yes...plumeria, very easy to fall in love with!!! The first time I seen them in Hawaii, I had to grow them!
    I have several established plants around my pool (including 2 very large rainbows...):

BobÂs Rainbow
    NOID Peach Rainbow
    2 Jeannie Moragne
    2 Katie Moragne
    2 Puu Kahea
    GuilliottÂs Sunset
    2 Aztec Gold
    1 Daisy Wilcox
    2 Paul Weissch
    2 KIMO
    1 Phyllis Jane/white

And then I have 18 additional rooted cuttings that I an giving a little TLC during the cooler months.

Plumeria is very addicting!!! They are sweet smelling gems!! Wide variety of scents and size, texture, and color of blooms. There is a great bunch of plumie people on the MPG forum (Maui Plumeria Gardens), but the site is down right now. Alot of them are 'visiting' the GW Plumeria forum to keep in touch. They are a wealth of information! Right now is a sloooow period since we are going into the dormant season.

Good Luck!

Mary Jane

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Mary Jane you got to post some pictures of your plummies. WOW you got a huge collection. You must be doing this a long time huh?

Lucy

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

All of mine are noids but the deep red one is my favorite. It looks and smells just like red roses to me. They all smell good but that one is the most special smell.

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

Lucy...The collection just keeps on growing! :) It helps to have Emerson Willis (the Plumeria Man & his wife, Nan...) live about 10 minutes away!!! He is regarded as 'Mr. Ambassador' in the plumeria world--Jim Little even named a plumeria after him! I will link you to his website below. His yard is completely filled with plumeria!!! Walking around his yard is heavenly with all the plumeria blooms in bloom and their scents lingering in the air--ahhhh! Then there is the Plumeria Society's annual plant sale--now that is a nice little shopping trip to make with a gardening friend! That's where I bought my very first plumeria many moons ago. I have had a couple plumeria over the last say 20 years--but have really been bit by the bug the last 4-5 years. But this past year, I have discovered the plumeria forum here on GW and especially the friendly folks on MPG. Fuel for the fire baby!!!! But there are worse things in life...

My favorites--I love the rainbows in the plumeria world. Just like the multiple rainbows I saw in Hawaii!! Let's see I like Daisy Wilcox because of her HUGE creamy white flower--Mr. Moragne used her as the mother of his famous 1st seedlings. Jeannie Moragne is just so beautiful with her colors, talk about colors--Puu Kahea is breathtaking! And KIMO is right there also. I will agree with Bob, Aztec Gold's scent can send you right over to Hawaii!!

Pictures--really don't have any. Especially don't have the photographer's eye that Bob has. And...I probably need a better camera! Meanwhile my garden's beauty is a Kodak moment in my mind!!! I believe I have one picture of my yard on my Home Page on GW--you have to go to 'My Clippings Saved' think the last clipping has a picture of the yard and some landscaping--I can't remember if it has any plumeria in that shot though.

Karen, do you have any now??? What is fuelling your 'new' obbsession? Ha Ha

MJ

Have fun on Emerson's site linked below. Check out all the indexes on the left. Pay particular attention to the pictures of his winter storage of his trees every year. He puts them up when the weather cools, stores them bare-rooted in a couple sheds (many upside down...), and them travels to Florida--especially the Keys, and prunes plumeria trees to shape them up, while staying in his mobile 'plumeria' mobile home!! And then in the spring, they visit their plumeria friends in California & surrounding areas. What a life!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Emerson's Plumerias

• lopaka_mikale
    15 years ago

Mary Jane... I can't believe you live so close to the Plumeria Man!! I wish I had some place, close by, to get a big Plumeria fix. Exotic Plumeria is about 3 1/2 hours away, so I don't get over there too often. I got the confetti, a Puu Kahea, which hasn't bloomed yet, and a Patio Plumeria from there, last spring. It was a big field trip for my nephew and I. He'll be on the Plumie forums someday! I check out the MPG forum once in a while. Can't get too involved, as I just don't have the time for 3 forums. The gw Plumeria forum is where I started, but this one has pulled me away from regular postings there. Karyn (get well soon), Bri, Dave in Nova are a few of the folks here, that can be found there. I like your signature, with the candy pics, on MPG btw.

Kristy... Plumie noids are much like Brug noids.... if they're pretty (why wouldn't they be), then who cares.

Lucy... if you used any of my pics as backgrounds, I would be completely honored. I use the confetti pic as the desktop for this computer. If you need any in a larger size, let me know.

Bob

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

MJ WOW! You are SO so lucky. Or cursed rofl living so close to Plumeria man! You described it perfect. The names are still foreign sounding lol but after a while I will go look at the site . Thank you very much for the link. I got to wake up first so I remember what I did at the site lol I am scared to go there hahahahaha I just KNOW that I will get into Plummies a LOT. There is just something about them. And the only time I have seen them bloom at Kristy's but I love them ever since.

Bob I just tried Confetti and it fits perfect on this little old monitor of mine. ha ha ha wanna know how blind I am? I only saw the dew or rain drops when I had it enlarged on the screen hahahaha

Thank you so much it is a baeutiful sight to look at when I am not doing anything on the PC!

DUDE I do have the rose saved thou ;-)

Lucy

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

I got into them last year, so I haven't seen any of mine bloom yet. I am growing rose red, pink angel, duke #2 and celadine yellow. I bought some new seeds to start, but I haven't started them yet. I don't know what I am waiting for.... hm... maybe space when I pot up all the brugs i am rooting. LOL

Linda

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

Hey Bob...

Knowing all the good folks here on the plumeria forum on GW...a little over a week ago I got a nice little surprise from 'Bill' (tdogdad) --- a fresh batch of seeds from his 'Psycho' and 'Samoan Fluff'. :) I have a link to one of Bill's posts regarding 'Psycho' - he says "I have mentioned my white with red stripe which is more hardy than any other plumie I have, so here is a picture on January tenth." I have never grown plumies from seed--so this will be a new 'adventure' for me! :) Have you grown any from seed? I seen a very interesting post on GW & MPG showing how to germinate them using packing peanuts! I may give it a try...but you are suppose to use non-biodegradeable peanuts--how the heck is one to tell if they are? That's the 'dilema' I have right now. And I'm want to order a seed mat to give the seedlings some warmth from the bottom--just don't know which mat to get! :)

Mary Jane (you know I got my name from those Mary Jane candies! My dad loved them! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bill's hardy Psycho Plumeria

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

MJ hahahaha I can tell you from Karyn's experience with biodegradeable peanuts....real simple, they DISOLVE when you put them in water hahahaha OK it was not funny when she told me that all the seeds were mixed up because they had disolved. But that is a way to know. You test them in water first and THEN use them for your seeds. I will try that real soon.

Lucy

• chena
    15 years ago

WOW! Great shots!!! MJ going over to check your HP..
    I have about 20 half are new and just rooting (I hope..LOL)
    I only have one that has bloomed.. and the one I am the most excited about is called Jade Dargon..

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

These plants will drive you crazy. You think brugs can be a challenge sometimes? Try plumeria. Not so hard to grow, but to bloom well -- especially for those of us further North. Here are a few of my best bloomers.

Aztec Gold
    {{gwi:450987}}

Miami Rose
    {{gwi:450985}}

Red (could be Polynesian Red)
    {{gwi:580789}}

Plastic Pink
    {{gwi:569775}}

Boca II
    {{gwi:580792}}

Penang Peach (in summer)
    {{gwi:580794}}

Penang Peach (winter)
    {{gwi:580797}}

Daisy Wilcox
    {{gwi:569776}}

Red Samoan
    {{gwi:580798}}

Keauhou Red
    {{gwi:580800}}

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Dave oh NO. Not you too! lol I am already testing the peanuts to make sure they are not biodegradeble hahahaha I figured I better get started or they outlive me until they start blooming roflmao

Lucy

thanks...I am drooling again

• chena
    15 years ago

Dave I have my AG's you sent still hoping for blooms.. They do grow so easy but only preform when They want to..LOL
    the Red Samoan is WOW!!!! what color..
    The one I have that bloomed has bloomed again since I brought it in the house.. altho it was just yellow and white.. but still is holding a couple of blooms.. most of the others are starting to drop leaves.. I have read to cut the leaves back to about 2" then let them fall.. Do ya'll do that?? I just let them drop last yr..
    This was called Maui Candy.. I think.. I marked it as a NOID... becoz I wasn't sure ..GB's and tags..LOL
    Kylie

{{gwi:550886}}

• gardenpaw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! Thanks everyone you all are a wealth of information!
    The pictures are so beautiful.
    Lucy and Mary Jane I have 1 lonely Plumeria right now, LOL
    It`s an Aztec Gold I bought from the Plumeria Gallery last
    month.
    Years ago I had two plummies and I hate to say this but I
    killed them with kindness.....I did`nt know how to care for
    them and watered waaay to much....live and learn!
    So Im on a quest to get a collection going, I also
    bought some plumeria seed called Sondra B. I have never
    tried starting them from seed either so it will be a new
    adventure here too!
    Thanks again for all of the great input on these gorgeous
    plants! Im going to go check out the sites everyone posted
    and drool some more! LOL
    You all are the Best!

Karen

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

Lucy,

Yeah, LOL! I got the plumeria bug bad a few years ago. Now I have -- oh, I don't know -- maybe 25 HUGE PLANTS! You should see my garage. The problem with seeds and seedlings is they take wayyy too many years to bloom and they start out real small but then get huge. My wife bought me a packet of seeds once - well, the jokes on her, because they ALL grew and now are huge. None have bloomed yet. 'Maybe next year' is the mantra of plumeria growers --LOL!

Kylie,

For the plumerias in my garage, I cut about 1/2 the lowest leaves off, -- just to make more room. Same with the ones in the house. But yes, you either snip them off about an inch from the trunk or you can carefully break them off. The remnant petioles will fall off in a week or so.

Most of my plants still have leaves and have not gone dormant.

I like that 'Maui Candy'. I have several 'rainbows' that are having difficulty blooming.

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

Should not have looked at this thread! Now I see something else I want to try, LOL. How tall do they get before they bloom?
    Shawn

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

Shawn,
    the Jeannie Moragne plumeria I bought from Emerson, bloomed the first year--it was 12 inches high. Depending on the cutting, you could get an inflo while you are trying to root it! But I snatch it off so it doesn't steal any thunder from the rooting process. There are different schools of thought of this practice that some think of it as a cold-hearted 'Off With Your Head!" Oh my!!

Karen...my first plumeria plants that I had were 'killed with kindness' - as I have found out over the recent years. You almost could call these plants 'cactus'!! Knowledge is power in the world of plumeria! Especially if you know a few tricks that work in your zone to get a nice healthy plant with beautiful blooms!!

Aztec Gold is a fantastic plumeria--they tend to grow lanky and outward somewhat--but I have recently been shown how to rememdy that with tying up the branches (a tip from Bill on GW plumeria forum--a sort of plumeria guru filled w/knowledge! Anyone that wants more info on that-email me...).

All the pics posted on here are BEAUTIFUL!!! Too bad we don't have a 'Smell-o-puter'!!!! Ha Ha

MJ

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

I got my first plumeria last spring, given to me by a good friend of mine that has since moved to Texas. She gave me some that were branches and I rooted the entire thing and they even bloomed for me. I also went to exotic plumeria in Seffner Florida and got 2 cutting, and promptly killed one of them. The other called Singapore rooted very easily and and bloomed while rooting, I am sorry I just couldn't cut an inflo off unless the plant was struggling. Lori has since sent me some more cuttings that I am in the process of rooting now, they were green so I didn't think they could wait. And of course I got one from my secret santa, thanks again Karen!!!! I have not started that one yet. It is truly another obession!!!! Even my DD loves them, to the point she picked my blooms this summer!!!! Well at least she enjoyed them. They can be tricky to root, well for me anyway, I had a middle cutting all summer that I thought had rooted then the pot got knocked over and I found out other wise, then it promptly shriveled up and died.

Mary

• threas
    15 years ago

So beautiful!!! I wish I could smell them too!
    Mary, I did the same thing with an Aztec Gold, for months it looked fine, but wasn't getting any claws. The cutting was dead!:( The one you sent me is doing great! I can't wait until it blooms. I have one year old seedlings that are still small. I'll be starting seeds that Lucy sent me soon also.

Theresa

• ladylotus
    15 years ago

Wow...WoW...WOW...I've been trying to avoid this post. I can not get into another plant addiction! I simply can't. Boy they sure do look beautiful. Aztec Gold is so pristine and just gorgeous. I love the dark red/pink colored ones as well, WOW.

Why can't anything hardy to my area be this stunning?

~Tj~

• lopaka_mikale
    15 years ago

I tried the peanut method with seeds, this summer. Learned about this method from Chrismac, on the GW, Plumie forum. Her link is below. I have some very healthy, if small, seedlings going. Can't wait for them to start looking like something. I know it will be years before they bloom. That's okay, though, because I like the plants even when they are not blooming. Apparently, seedlings will branch... cuttings do not, and the roots are much stronger.

AG is a fast grower and prolific bloomer. I have to tie mine up, because the branches stay soft for a long time, and will bend all the way over, if you don't watch them. This time of year they are finally getting woody and firm. I still have flowers and inflos. I expect that some of those inflos will not open, but should keep until spring.

While I have grown some Plumeria for years, I am new to collecting, so don't have all that many varieties. I got a great wish list though!

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: ChrisMac

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Bob I love that link. Thanks. Got my seeds floating in peanuts :-)

jasmine what is milorganite?

Can I ask a question? If I want to buy cuttings right now, I guess it is a good time to buy it right now? But I try to get sort of good quality from a trusted grower, still do not have to spend my grandkids s x mas money hahahaha, where and at whom would I look to??

I truly appreciate any tips. I have plummie feaver lol

Lucy

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Lucy now isn't the best time to start cuttings. Wait until spring and even then you will need bottom heat. Plumies were one of my first plant obsessions. lol They are more difficult to root and take a much longer time to bloom but are so worth the wait. You can get loads of info from the plumeria forum. Tdogdad (Bill) is a wealth of info as are many others and all are willing to help.

You don't want to know what milorganite is. Think human waste.

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

hahahaha ok I think I will do without milorganite lol.
    Karyn seeeeeeeeeeee how much I needed you to get out of that hospital!! And we can keep you happy here until you can go take care of your things safely;-)

Ok I wait till the season starts and then get into it. There is one thing I do not like and that is loosing any plant what so ever. If I can prevent it.

Been reading at the forum and the links Bob posted. It just takes time and somehow I ran across a posting that said now is a good time to get cuttings inexpensive.

But if I loose them. I rather pay a little more knowing the chances to get them rooted are better. I might get started with plants then lol.

Thank you Karyn

Lucy

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

Milorganite -- Some sweet stuff!!! :) There's a story behind that product that made a town millions!!!! All out of c__ __ p !!!

Chris (Flutter) had posted that 'germination pool' step by step on MPG also. That's the post I was talking about!

Also...below is a great link to a planting a plumeria cutting using a step-by-step pictorial instuctional (see post #4 on topic) by Bill (tdogdad). Karyn is so right that now is not the best time to start a cutting on much of the continental US---but if you plan to start a plumeria cutting in the spring, save Bill's how-to post on your 'Clip This Post' option on the right of your screen. I have used his method with rooting cuttings--excellent method!!!

If you do a search on Bill's user name on the plumeria forum: tdogdad
    You will find a wealth of plumie information that is solid gold!!! He knows his plumies!!!

How many days till the first day of Spring?????

Mary Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: Suggestions on Starting A New Plant--Scroll Down to tdogdad (Bill's) Post- #4

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

I too caught the Plumeria bug a few years back. I purchased most of mine on eBay and had very good success with cuttings from eBay user evelyn2079. I've attached a link to her store. I recommend purchasing cuttings she marks as "heavy" or "extra heavy". The more substantial the cutting the better rooting success I've had.

I started most of my cuttings in winter, on a seed starting mat, in a sunny window. Then move them outside as soon as possible. After a lot of research online, I found a trick, and sadly can't remember where I read it, but I take a vegetable peeler and make a light peel of flesh about an inch long in two places at the base of the cutting, then dip it in rooting hormone and pot in soil.

Hope that helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay

• hsbfla
    6 years ago

Hi, funinthesunincl

i saw Phyllis Jane in your post here and I wanted to get in contact with you about that plumeria. I'm H. Scott and the one who registered Phyllis Jane.