SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yodio

Which clematis to plant behind hydrangeas, and how?

yodio
15 years ago

Hello clematis people,

I'm a newbie gardener, but have fallen in love with clematis and spend my evenings poring over clematis books. I'd love to plant 1 or 2 clematis on the bare north face of my garage, where there are now (in a row) a huge flowering quince, a macrophylla hydrangea (lady in red), a limelight hydrangea (paniculata) and finally a huge forsythia. The hydrangeas are new this spring, the LIR 3x3 and the LL 4x4. There is about 3 ft between them, and 2 ft on the outsides.

My questions are:

- which clematis would grow quickly/do well being planted between the 2 hydrangeas where it would receive almost no light? There is almost no direct sun there, as the quince blocks the morning light and some huge oaks in the middle of the yard block the afternoon light. I'd say it's light shade all day. And yet the hydrangeas have been doing great. However, this would be a little clematis planted between them...

- 1 clematis or 2? I know it depends on the size. I'd love it if I could have 2 growing intertwined... maybe a small abundant white like Paul Farges (although that needs sun) and jackmanii growing together. (Not sure about the pruning group compatibility there though.)

- Should I plant now or in the fall?

- And finally, what kind of support should I use? I know everyone recommends the green coated fence from Lowes but my house and garage are white.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz