SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gunsamaster

Problems with my Citrus Plants, Scale, and Die Off, Part II

gunsamaster
17 years ago

Hey again,

So everything looks like a complete happy ending in part I of my posting. Well a problem developed recently. It was actually starting to bother me a bit. Here and there as the shoots matured I was watching damaged leaves start to fall off. 1 or 2 a day here and there. I figured the new shoots were breaking them off the tree and to an extent I happened to catch one of these occuring so I blew it off for a while. Then the rain started up in the Northeast again and during that time about 10-15 leaves fell off and a bunch of the new tips of the shoots turned yellow and died. The new leaves did not change color and continued to gow but besides the bigger leaf loss some of the other older leaves were starting to loose chlorophyl. I started thinking about the whole situation and said well lets look at these leaves and see what could of killed them off. I picked up a bunch and started looking them over. They all had some damage to them from obvious view. These leaves could have remained I was still thinking then I though well the scale could have hurt them and the Malithion could have played a part.

I was going to post on Gardenweb the situation with the leaves. I decided to scan them to show them and see what people had to say. Then when I scanned them at 600dpi resolution the picture became clearer. Then I decided to go for it and make 2 1200dpi scans as well. Well everything was perfectly clear to me after that. The leaves were all in a definite decline without a doubt suffering from their physical damage. These leaves were weakened by the scale and the mites and the sprays. Since they were all affected fom similar damamge at similar times is why they fell off both trees. In addition I discovered today that both grapefruits and fingerlime were a bit overwatered. This will also cause leaf loss. I am just lucky that it was the old crappy leaves and not the nice shiney new ones. I have 1 picture posted for everyone to view. The other 3 are links to the pictures. PLEASE NOTE do not click on the pics to view or download unless you are prepared to view very very large .jpg's . the second pic like the first pic is 22Mb in size and 3 & 4 are approximately 100Mb in size.

I also noticed there was a scale on the control, leaf small but there.

Tell me what ya think guys.

VTY

-Mark

Comments (2)