SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theuniball

Advice needed on a 4 foot tall lanky jade plant

theuniball
14 years ago

Greetings fellow jade lovers and friends. I have been reading this forum for quite some time now, and am very impressed by the knowledge and expertise of all of you. I thank you for your knowledge and your willingness to help and share your experiences with others.

I picked up a four foot jade plant two weeks ago, and I needed some advise as what to do now. The jade is not thick at all but the truck is about 3 inches, however there are branches everywhere and it makes it difficult to keep it upright and nice looking. I trimmed of a few branches that were really low and or were already broken due to the weight of the leaves. So what I have left is two main branches that have leaves on them, but are not straight what so ever. Actually are pretty leggy and lanky growing in which ever way they feel like it. I also repotted the jade as soon as I got it with a commercial cactus and succulent mix, and it is already shooting out new branches and leaves. It had been in the same plastic pot for 5 years before I bought it.

I am interested in your advice as to how I should handle it from here. I feel like I should keep trimming (Whacking) as it has been referred to here time and time again. My question is should I cut it way down and remove all the branches from the main stalk or should I just remove the branches and keep its height. I do want it to be a larger tree like plant as opposed to a bonsai (which I have done with cuttings). However I know that i need to doctor it up before I can get the strength in the trunk to support its weight up top. What do you recommend I do with the tree. It is currently on my porch outside, but will need to bring it in, in about a month or so, before the deep freeze. I am not sure how to attach pictures but I do have some pictures to share with you all if someone can guide me as to how to attach a picture to the message.

Thanking all of you in advance

Comments (26)