SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monkeytreeboy15

Pinus sylvestris broom I believe...

monkeytreeboy15
13 years ago

Hello everyone.

I recently discovered this broom in what appears to be a somewhat scraggly Pinus sylvestris tree. This one is more easily accessible than the last one I found. This one is about 7 or 8 meters from the ground.

Here are some pics. of the broom itself:

{{gwi:629047}}

{{gwi:629049}}

{{gwi:629052}}

{{gwi:629055}}

{{gwi:629059}}

some close-ups of the foliage

{{gwi:629061}}

(This one's a bit blurry.)

{{gwi:629064}}

{{gwi:629067}}

{{gwi:629070}}

The needles are in groups of two and about 3.5 centimeters in length. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any cones on the ground for identification--only those in the trees (holding fast to the branches, as well).

{{gwi:629075}}

..and finally a branch from the tree. Does it look like Pinus sylvestris to you?

{{gwi:629076}}

Thanks for the feedback!

-Sam

Comments (38)

• mirek_l
    13 years ago

Pinus banksiana

• pineresin
    13 years ago

Yep, Pinus banksiana

Scots Pine doesn't have persistent forward-pointing cones, and has a different branching structure.

Resin

• Related Discussions

Pinus sylvestris Photo Gallery 2011

Q

Comments (51)
    had to remove my jaw from my lap after seeing that Niwaki in Chi-town. How big is that hummer? Looks like it needs a whole team and a couple of cherry pickers to maintain it every year. Thanks for showing us this picture, Nate. As far as I'm concerned, this thread is done. ~Dave
    ...See More

pinus sylvestris

Q

Comments (12)
    Edwin, there were a few nice brooms up there! It would be useful to have a telescoping ski pole, with a broom hook at the end of it! P. engelmannii, P. contorta, A. lasiocarpa P. engelmannii, P. contorta, A. lasiocarpa, P. aristata The foothills, at lower elevation. P. ponderosa, P. menziesii, J. scopulorum
    ...See More

Pinus sylvestris WB's from Poland

Q

Comments (13)
    Sam: great find!! I hope to 3 different brooms saves his own different habit :) Do you have a photo with all broom?? It would be grateful if you could show it :) MirkuL: I saw that picture earlier on some Polish website:) It is really unusual find :) (moüna by po Polskiemu ale to przecieü zagraniczne forum :D) Coniferjoy: I think that I found something interesting.... but I don't want to jinx :) Of course It's Pinus sylvestris... In my area found something different it's real hard.. Kiwi bonus: she has 5 little cones with full seeds :) Greetings Wiktor
    ...See More

Pinus sylvestris Photo Gallery 2012

Q

Comments (52)
    Damn, Sam & Blue, you're both sylvestrisizing me to bit's! I'm looking at thousands of pines and piceas from the truck as I pass in the hope of seeing WB's, walked around a huge mature mugo range in Wales and have never seen a single one. There is a big sylvestris WB on the Tiverton to Barnstable road though that I saw a couple of years back. Very prominent.
    ...See More
  • coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Very nice broom Sam!
    Get it propagated!

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Yep! agree with Edwin!

• sluice
    13 years ago

Nice find Sam!

• darob
    13 years ago

I greet
    Pinus sylvestris, New WB,
    Darek
    {{gwi:629077}}

• mirek_l
    13 years ago

P banksiana M2
    {{gwi:629078}}
    P. banksiana TM1
    {{gwi:629079}}
    P. banksiana M05
    {{gwi:629080}}
    P. banksiana 'G�owno'
    {{gwi:629082}}

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nice brooms, Darek and Mirek!
    Thanks, guys.
    If I were to obtain scions from it, would I be able to graft them onto Pinus contorta or would I have to get a Pinus banksiana?

-Sam

• sluice
    13 years ago

I don't see why you couldn't use contorta. Or sylvestris even.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Pinus contorta understock is worthless because almost all which are grafted on it shows lightgreen till yellowgreen needles which have something to do with a lack of copper.
    I prefer Pinus uncinata or Pinus sylvestris.

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Would Pinus nigra work, perhaps. That's the only stock I have on hand.

-Sam

• pineresin
    13 years ago

Pinus contorta would be best, as it is closely related to P. banksiana.

Resin

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Mirek - dynamite.

Go ahead Sam with nigra. It won't be a problem at all. No to contorta. Edwin says it right.

Dax

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just curious: What time of year should I take cuttings and then graft them?
    I would also like your opinions on how to obtain a few cuttings from this broom, as it is as much as 11 meters from the ground.
    I don't live very far from Bob Fincham, and I am considering asking if he would graft some of these cuttings for me.
    How would I go about grafting it if I were to do it myself? I know the general process of grafting, but I would like some specifics based on your past experiences with grafting.

Another comment: The tree is part of the landscaping at an apartment complex, and I am afraid it will not be there very long. I don't want to mess this up; I'm afraid I have but one shot.

Thanks for all of your helpful comments!

-Sam

• sluice
    13 years ago

Sam,

A timely question! Now is the time to think about taking cuttings and grafting them (e.g. January - March).
    You'd have to get creative about reaching that broom. It looks high.

Dax has posted a youtube on grafting, and Bob Fincham puts out a grafting DVD as well. If you can find someone to show you how to do it in person, I would highly recommend that too. Start gathering the things you'll need, like understock, grafting bands, a sharp knife, disinfectant, etc. You'll also need to find or create someplace humid for the baby grafts to sit for a while.

Good luck!

Nate

• pineresin
    13 years ago

"Go ahead Sam with nigra. It won't be a problem at all. No to contorta. Edwin says it right"

Remember P. contorta is Sam's local native pine, so it is very well adapted to the conditions there. Also it is P. contorta subsp. contorta he'd be dealing with, not the subsp. latifolia you'd be more familiar with. I'd not be so dismissive of it as a rootstock choice.

Resin

• gardener365
    13 years ago

I agree Resin.

I'm making a new video after this year for youtube. My old one was outdated and is no-longer there.

Dax

• kbguess
    13 years ago

Sam,
    Nice broom

I think you should try to get scion to a couple of grafters and try yourself as well. I get my understock from university of idaho (seedlings.uidaho.com). I just checked their availablility and they still have pinus nigra, sylvestris and contorta latifolia for 2 needle pines in superstock size (size I'd recommend). These are available to ship as early as 2/15. Minium order is 5 of any species for $10 + shipping. The other things you need for a VERY BASIC (lower %age successes) set up are not expensive either. I'd be happy to send you some grafting rubber bands and some parafilm tape to get you started. A great hobby.

email me through gardenweb member page or kb_guess at yahoo dot com

Keith

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So, if I get scions by sometime in February or March, would I be able to do the grafting immediately after?
    What is the coldest temperature the new grafts could take... in case we have a late frost?
    I could get some 2-3-year-old Pinus nigras from my local Home Depot if those would work. Can I use these or the ones Keith suggested or should I go for Pinus contorta as Resin suggested?
    What "humid place" would you recommend to keep the baby grafts for a while, Nate? Would a refrigerator work?

Once again, thank you so much for your helpful tips, everyone!

-Sam

• tunilla
    13 years ago

Putting the pots in translucent plastic bags wich you blow up with your mouth and then seal with an elastic band might work ON TOP of your refrigerator,taking advantige of the rejected heat -if there is any. Inside the refrigerator you normally have a cold and dry atmosphere. T.
    PS: What's good for turkey and roast beef isn't necessarily good for grafted conifers. 2 cts. T.

• sluice
    13 years ago

Sam,
    You can graft immediately after taking the scions.
    The new grafts should not be exposed to frost. The pros use a greenhouse or similar.
    When I first started grafting, I put them outside during the day, moving them in at night to avoid the cold. But that took too much time.

{{gwi:629084}}

Now, I just keep them in the basement, and move them outside (permanently) only after the threat of frost has passed (e.g. May).
    Clear plastic coverings, to keep humidity and let light through.
    {{gwi:629085}}
    {{gwi:629086}}
    {{gwi:629087}}
    Nate

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, I may be able to do that with my baby grafts. Thanks for the helpful pictures, Nate. Is mold or root rot a concern with the high humidity/no air circulation?
    The broom is up near Port Angeles, and Bob Fincham lives down by Mt. Rainier (I don't know how familiar you are with Washington state, but the two locations are about 160 km (100 mi) apart.) So, how long can I keep the cuttings in plastic bags as tunilla suggested before I have to graft them/take them to Bob to see if he would be interested in grafting them?

Thanks again!

-Sam

• tunilla
    13 years ago

Hi Sam. I was actually suggesting you put the finished grafts in plastic bags, pretty much the same as can be seen in Nate's pictures. That said, I am curious myself about how long scionwood or cuttings can be kept in plastic bags before being grafted or struck . Washing them with a desinfectant may provide protection against moulds etc. developing ,I suppose. T.

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

It is possible to keep scions in a refrigerator for a few weeks, depends on the quality of the material etc. obviously best to get grafted up as soon as possible. Overheating will be more of a problem than colder temperatures, at least it is here in the UK. Botrytis can be a problem, and more so if young grafts are kept in individual smallish plastic bags, so if this is the method to be used i would suggest the bags are opened from time to time to let a bit of fresh air in, release some of the excess moisture and check and spray for possible fungal problems.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Sam, send me an email and I'll help you get that broom, propagated.

Dax

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just sent you an e-mail, Dax. I also watched your online grafting videos--good stuff!

-Sam

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I talked to an employee at my local nursery, and he suggested rooting cuttings rather than grafting scions. Would this be a reasonable alternative?
    Any tips if I were to do this?
    Thanks for your help.

-Sam

• botann
    13 years ago

Not for Pines Sam.
    We live close. What is your local nursery?
    Mike

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Valley Nursery in Poulsbo, Washington. It's not that big.

-Sam

• botann
    13 years ago

You are very close to Firefighter Will. I'm on the other side of Puget Sound.
    Poulsbo is in a beautiful area.
    Mike

• sluice
    13 years ago

Dirr's propagation book seems to suggest that for P. banksiana, rooted cuttings works better than grafting.
    I agree with Botann, though. Grafting would be my first choice.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

It would be very interesting for me to see such a rooted Pinus banksiana cultivar :0)

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    12 years ago

the right tool for the job?
    I have two 10-foot aluminum poles to which I have fastened regular Fiskars hand pruners and a fishing net to catch the scions in.
    {{gwi:629088}}
    {{gwi:629089}}
    the string allows the clippers to be activated from the ground
    {{gwi:629090}}

Am I ready for the job? I think I might take an extra 10-foot pole just in case.

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Sam, it's good to see that you're ready, but the broom isn't yet.
    You've to wait for another 8 months before you can cut the scions for propagating.... :0)

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yep, just planning ahead. Is November or December okay?

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Sam, November or December is to early, I would wait until February for the best grafting results...

• sluice
    12 years ago

Sam, that's an interesting set up. Have you tried it out yet on a tree?

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, but the apparatus is quite heavy because it is made out of galvanized aluminum. Definitely a two-person job.
    I have tried it on a Cedrus deodara in the backyard, and it worked quite well. However, the branching structure on a Himalayan Cedar is much looser than that of this broom; it will definitely be a challenge.

-Sam