SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex_i_gw

Jades keep growing in 112 degrees heat

alex_i
11 years ago

Hi folks,

Just had to share this with everyone. We've hit above 100 degrees since the end of May and have even seen 115 a few weeks ago. Today it is 112. I am amazed at how well these cuttings are thriving in the Las Vegas heat. I thought jades get dormant when it gets stupid-hot? Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, just puzzled they have not stopped growing.

These were pruned from the mother plant in early February. There are 20 cuttings lined up in 2 rows of 10. I purposely have them in plastic box planter to retain moisture. They get watered at least 3 times a week, from the top, leaves and all.

{{gwi:628082}}

{{gwi:628084}}

{{gwi:628086}}

This next one was started also in February. The amazing thing is this is out in FULL SUN 3/4 of the day. See the penny/quarter in 2nd pic to get a perspective on new growth size. 1st pic was Jun11 and second pic is today. What's weird is the little ET Fingers cutting behind it has not grown much in that same time period.

{{gwi:628087}}

{{gwi:628088}}

Even my indoor ones are still actively growing (and I have lots indoors). Here's just a couple of them that also got whacked aggresively in February or later.

{{gwi:628089}}

{{gwi:628090}}

Comments (17)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals